first post and its a need some help deciding on a tractor

/ first post and its a need some help deciding on a tractor #1  

Godzuki

Tractor
none looking
first off a back story on why im here. I had a large hickory tree crush my garage in the garage where many things one of which my 1991 toro 520H garden tractor, which got a good ole smashing. ive had it since 2000 loved it, had a front mount snowblower and 48" deck and was looking for the tiller and loader and cab attachments. well in the process of all this ive found out that toro doesn't make anything even remotely close anymore, nor does anybody else BUT simplicity I found this out at a kiote dealer but he said they are so pricey you can get a subcompact for less. so after getting many estimates ive narrowed it down and im looking at a Kubota bx2370, a johndeer 1025r, and a new Holland boomer 20. I will mainly be mowing and snowblowing with the intent on getting a tiller later and I need to pull some crazy over grown hedges from our property so something with a decent lifting capacity. ive gotten estimates for all 3 of those tractors and they are all with in a few grand of each other. I also got estimates from bobcat, and kiote (I know they are the same). I will be out fitting each with turf tires, mower deck front mount snowblower and im going jam a loader in there to being everone has a special if you buy them with the loader. ive test driven the new Holland and wow at least in compairison to my old toro man o man what a difference in smoothness and quiet dear god is it quite compaired the the toros 20hp twin gas. I plan to try the others out aswell as soon as I get a green light from the insurance company because they are the ones paying.......thank god. lucky for me they have to replace my toro with a new equivalent which mean something that can do what it could minimum.

so any opinions on either of those 3 tractors all 3 dealers seem nice, the Kubota ones are replacing my stihl chainsaws, also where I got my quote on the bx2370. the new Holland guys realy seemed nice and eager to win my business, the johndeer guys seemed more worried I was going to go to another johndeer guy than pick another brand but they were still nice and happy to work with me. so if you have had any of these modles or have any pros or cons on them one way or another id like to hear it. for me the only real difference I see is the new Holland seems larger a smidge and has a 5 year warrenty and the other 2 have a 2 year warrenty.

thanks in advance

/ first post and its a need some help deciding on a tractor #2  
First off, welcome to TBN!

All of those are good machines that should handle the tasks you mentioned, and last for a long time.

The Boomer 20 is actually made by LS, and can usually be bought for a lot less than buying from NH. The only difference (aside from decals and grill insert) is that LS uses their own loader that lifts 115lbs more to 5" higher. From LS it's called a J2023H, and they're running about $12,500 out the door (minus tax) in most places. Looks like there's an LS dealer not far from you in Plymouth, IN.

Last edited:
   / first post and its a need some help deciding on a tractor
thanks didn't know there was one south of me. I knew there was one north of me about same distance spotted them in a craigslist add. yep I knew they made them for new Holland just didn't know if the were identicall 100% kinda like bobcat and kiote. did not know the LS was a smidge more powerfull at the lifting.

anybody have any reviews or opinions on the 3 or 4 if you include the LS.

/ first post and its a need some help deciding on a tractor #4  
All good tractors.
JD is green because it's the color of money :) I don't know whose engine they put in it.
Kubota is relatively "light", better for lawn mowing
Kioti is built heavy.

Other attachments/parts you should get immediately, regardless of brand:
Pallet forks - clamp on's can be had for ~$200 - these can be a poor man's grapple for removing brush
A toothbar or Piranha
A big clevis for the drawbar
11949.jpg

Chains to pull stuff, which you hook to the clevis
A good grease gun w/ a lock 'n lube coupler

/ first post and its a need some help deciding on a tractor #5  
Appears you have some Mahindra dealers within about 30-40 miles of South Bend. Might want to check them out. They are being pretty aggressive trying to build market share. LS makes a nice rugged tractor also, I looked at them but bought the Mahindra.

/ first post and its a need some help deciding on a tractor #6  
The Ls/New Holland is a good tractor. The kubota is ok (in my opinion). The john deere is by far the best of those. It is the most pricey but for good reason. They have a yanmar diesel in them. Very good, reliable engine. All of them are good tractors but for the extra cash I would definitley go with the deere.

/ first post and its a need some help deciding on a tractor
thank you guys for those. yep I already have some of those items listed above just from living in the north you will need a chain or 2 and a tow strap or 2 to pull or be pulled out. I also have some a few clevis's for attaching said chains and straps. well the new Holland with a front mount snow blower is the same price and the deer with a rear mount snow blower. and the Kubota is about the same, I forgot to quote it with the front mount snow blower. I am going to see the LS dealer today. the local kiote dealer.............well lets just say he lost the sale because he never returned my calls...ever. I had to go over there to check them out. I found a bobcat ct122 but it had no attachments and they were going to check and see if they could mount kiote attachments straight to it IE loader and mowing deck and front mount snow blower... but they never called me back. I later found out yes the kiote stuff does bolt right up. I realy liked how easy that bobcat would be to work on everything swings outa the way. im going to try and get test drives on both the LS and maybe the deer today.

/ first post and its a need some help deciding on a tractor #8  
Some will tell you Deere, Kubota etc. is worth the money, better etc., but we own a John Deere SCUT as well as Kubota and by no measure is the Deere superior in anything. In this size I don't think you can go wrong whatever you pick. Try them all and in the end you will know which one is right for you.

Good luck and enjoy.:)

/ first post and its a need some help deciding on a tractor #9  
I am going to see the LS dealer today. the local kiote dealer.............well lets just say he lost the sale because he never returned my calls...ever. I had to go over there to check them out. I found a bobcat ct122 but it had no attachments and they were going to check and see if they could mount kiote attachments straight to it IE loader and mowing deck and front mount snow blower... but they never called me back.

For some sad reason, that isn't all that uncommon in the tractor dealer world....and it can be any brand. On the morning of May 5th I called the LS and Kioti dealer that I bought my LS from, and said I was considering upgrading to something with a cab. I told them a friend of a friend was interested in buying my LS, so I needed ballpark prices on cab models to see if I was willing to spend the difference. "Oh sure, that's great, we'll work out some numbers and call you back."

Late afternoon on Friday May 8th I called back to see if they had any numbers. "Oh, the salesman is on vacation, what was he working on for you?" I told her, and a couple of hours later the owner called me back and asked what I was looking for a quote on. I told him, and he promised he'd get back to me early the following week. I still haven't gotten a call back from either of them....a month later.

This is a dealer that I bought a new tractor from 18mos ago, so they know I'm a serious buyer, but they're clowns so they lost a sale. They did something similar to another member here, so I guess it doesn't surprise me all that much.

If I buy a new tractor I think I'm going to stop by their yard on the way home (have to pass right by it) and ask them what they think of it....

/ first post and its a need some help deciding on a tractor #10  
Also consider the Massey SCUT line. Also good tractors. I believe the current models are something like 1725.

Another thing to consider is warranty. No matter how good people think their brand is, problems can still arise. Some factory warranties (like mine, & Kubota) are only 3 years while others are 4 or 5. I might have regrets in year 4 or 5 if something in the powertrain goes and I've gotta pay out of pocket!