First Rattlesnake of the seacon

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #11  
I had always heard there were timber rattlers around here but until last year I had never seen one locally...it was only about a month later when a local man was bitten a mile or so from here...The man was picking huckleberries and was by himself...he had made it back to his truck but collapsed in the road and was in bad shape when a younger couple came across him and transported him to where they could get a signal and called 911...The man survived and I just read that his story will be featured on the "I survived" television show on the Biography channel...not sure when it will be aired...

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #12  
man i hate to see that me and snakes just don't get along. i have lived here on our family farm most all my life and my neighbors have been here over 60 years, the first rattlesnake seen for sure here i killed in my yard during dog days last summer and believe me i won't forget it. thats a good size rattler and a dead one witch is a good thing.

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #13  
We have lots of copperheads here.

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #14  
We have lots of copperheads here.

The copperhead is the worst in my opinion- no warning and highly aggressive. I'll take a rattler or cottonmouth any day over a copperhead. And I kill them ( fanged ones) all with no remorse. I do like king snakes :) A friend of mine told me that rattlesnakes are actually rattling less than they have in previous years. Anyone else heard this??

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #15  
The copperhead is the worst in my opinion- no warning and highly aggressive. I'll take a rattler or cottonmouth any day over a copperhead. And I kill them ( fanged ones) all with no remorse. I do like king snakes :) A friend of mine told me that rattlesnakes are actually rattling less than they have in previous years. Anyone else heard this??

Hmmm, first I've heard of it. They don't always rattle anyway. I walked right up to one on the back of our property, he was crossing the dirt road and stretched out pretty much full length. Since he didn't coil or rattle at first I figured it was a small gopher snake but nope, nice fat rattler with several buttons. I watched him for a few minutes as he broke his 'freeze' mode and continued down to the creek. He wasn't shedding and I know he saw me but not a trace of rattlesnakey behavior. Maybe he was just in a mellow mood or stoned or something. :confused:

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #16  

Have to disagree with this (JMO)...I've encountered lots of both copperheads and cottonmouths and in my experience the cottonmouths are by far way more aggressive...

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #17  
Have to disagree with this (JMO)...I've encountered lots of both copperheads and cottonmouths and in my experience the cottonmouths are by far way more aggressive...

Well I have seen cottonmouths mad & looking for trouble, but is usually after they make their presence known. They kinda fire a warning shot. When a copperhead opens his mouth it's looking for somewhere to land. My pawpaw used to say about all snakes " he may not hurt you, but he'll make you hurt yourself!"

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #18  
I was working in jacksboro Texas last summer and we were told the rattlers arnt rattling any more because the wild hogs will hear them, hunt them down and eat them.

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #19  
I haven't seen a rattlesnake in years. Cottonmouth, copperheads are plentiful. I kill every water snake I see in our pond as we fish around the banks and I sure as heck don't want to get bit by a moccasin. My brother in law (lives across the bass pond from me but his house is only about 75 feet from the water) seems to attract snakes to his house. He killed a big moccasin in his garage last year, several times the dogs have bayed up one in the front yard. SO FAR, none have been around my house, but it is at least 250 feet to the water from my house.

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #20  
Thats a pretty good size one no doubt , hurry up and get it into the stew while meats still fresh ! :) ;)

Boone

All kidding aside........rattlesnake is not bad......does taste a little like chicken.....used to get them down in Calif......we cooked them on the bar-b-q and deep fried them as well.:licking: