first real brush hog experience

/ first real brush hog experience #11  
johnk said:
Here are a few swaths I cut with a KK 5 footer. I did it mainly for thruways for the deer. I'd say it wqas 5 to five feet. Like everyone said, "It feels great to reap such Havoc."

Great Pics! Looks like you have a very nice place

/ first real brush hog experience #12  
ovrszd said:
Actually it will cut better if the leading edge is slightly lower than the trailing edge. Then you are only cutting the material once. If the leading edge is high, it will cut the material, then as you drive over it, the trailing edge will have to cut it again. Same concept as a finish mower. :)

I agree with you for what most people do. In my case, I was trying to recover some overgrown pasture and turn it into "yard" rather than field or pasture and I wanted to cut everything twice with every pass to have as many smaller trimmings as possible. If I'm brush hogging a field to keep it in check with no other goal in mind and I don't care what I leave behind, cutting once (deck level or slightly higher at the rear) will make your mowing easier.

My apologies for not better explaining what I was doing and why. :)

/ first real brush hog experience #13  
Charolais said:
I remember 25 years ago a guy down the road a bit from me got both his legs cut off with a brush hog. t.

Darwin Award goes to that guy.

/ first real brush hog experience #14  
Gary,

It's still better to set the mower up with the front 1" lower than the back. Cut once, let the cuttings dry for a day or two, then go back and cut it again. Mulching up dry debris is easier than fresh wet cuttings. It's also easier on the machinery, faster and gets better results. Least ways that's what it does for me. YMMV

jb