Snow first snow with the frontmount blower

/ first snow with the frontmount blower #1  

astor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota Bx2230
Hey guys,
Yesterday we got our first significant snow fall of the year. Just 5" of heavy wet stuff. Anyway, it was the first time I could use the new front mount blower on my bx2230. I must say I was very happy with the way it performed. I put the throttle down and it blew like crazy:) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Most of our snow is of the light lake effect type so the neighbors better watch out because I bet I can blow that light stuff a long way /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway, if anyone has tips on things to do or watch with the front mount blowers, let me know.

/ first snow with the frontmount blower #2  
Spray the auger, chute, and inside of the blower with PAM or other brands of vegetable oil to keep the fluffy white stuff from sticking to the "innards". Make sure that you have plenty of shear pins available, and don't forget to grease the auger shaft (if it has a fitting). Never put it away with any snow build up on it. When the snow changes to ice, it will just bind everything up when you go to use it again. I would always run mine for a few minutes afterward to get all the snow out and then blow it down with air to dry it.

/ first snow with the frontmount blower #3  
Paul:

Keep it in a heated shop like I do. My 5030 gets to stay warm in the winter and air conditioned in the summer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ first snow with the frontmount blower
Junkman and 5030,

I went ahead and sprayed the auger and impeller with Pam, so I will see how that works. Also, I have my Bota in my heated garage and I go out and say hello every day just to make sure I stay on her good side /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif So, I guess I took the advise of both of you /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ first snow with the frontmount blower #5  
Don't let out the clutch too fast or with too high rpm's. It will sheer the bolt and it takes about 5 minutes to an hour to replace. The hour is when the bolt is home and you are 1/2 mile away freezing. When the tractor rpm's slow down then stop and let the blower clear the shute. Then start again. It all depends on the snow type. I always recomment chains with studs or ice picks. If you hit ice all the tires won't help. Chains are a must and I just take them off in the summer and use the ag tires. Good luck, Kenta

/ first snow with the frontmount blower #6  
Astor,

The caution I offer is to be very alert as to where the chute is pointed. The particles of ice, gravel, and frozen soil being expelled can do great damage to nearby buildings, vehicles, animals, and people. It takes a lot of care to watch where you are driving and where the plume is landing and the wind can have a big influence on it.

JackIL

/ first snow with the frontmount blower #7  
dayrl- not to change the subject, but I figured you would be a good one ask this question. There has always been a debate as to whether it's hard on a tractor to work hard in the winter and come into a heated garage. I am not sure exactly what is at stake, but I have heard it tends to rust more of the implements and the tractor and the extremes have an effect on the injectors. I keep my tractors in a barn and have never had a problem since the old glow plug has been improved, but the idea of being inside sure seemed nice. Kenta

/ first snow with the frontmount blower #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( dayrl- not to change the subject, but I figured you would be a good one ask this question. There has always been a debate as to whether it's hard on a tractor to work hard in the winter and come into a heated garage. I am not sure exactly what is at stake, but I have heard it tends to rust more of the implements and the tractor and the extremes have an effect on the injectors. I keep my tractors in a barn and have never had a problem since the old glow plug has been improved, but the idea of being inside sure seemed nice. Kenta )</font>

I think your tractor will love you like there is no tomorrow if you gave it a warm shelter in the winter, and from harsh weather!!! You will be rewarded with many more years of a happy bliss /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif