First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #21  
YOOPER DAVE

Tier IV Emissions Confusion​
Are new tractors with <25hp Tier IV emission exempt ?

The demarcation is 19 kW engine power output = 25.4794 horsepower.

While Tier IV exempt, tractors with <25.4794 horsepower comply with relatively loose Tier II emission requirements.

Some mfrs note no pollution filter is needed, but tier 4 compliant.

Most manufactures can meet Tier IV requirements without a Diesel Particulate Fillter up to about 27 horsepower via engine design and injection timing.

(Diesel Off-road emission standards are uniform in developed world.)

Then there is a horsepower gap.

Beginning about thirty-three horsepower most tractors have Diesel Particulate Filters.
If there is no DPF there is an alternative incendiary technology to burn off very fine particulates (soot). Sometimes exhaust heat is elevated all the time, sometimes periodically.
Diesel particulates must be burned. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.

Tire wear and tire replacement will cause as many headaches and more expense than DPF for most long term compact tractor owners who comprehend their tractor's Operator's Manual and follow DPF procedures.

Many small property users regenerate only once per year. This creates regeneration procedure uncertainty in itself. (Regeneraton occurs every ~~60 engine hours. Non-commercial users average 80 engine hours of tractor use per year.)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019

Last edited:
   / First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements
Somebody asked my budget...I don't have a specific one. I'll pay what I have to, to get what I need, but I don't want to pay more than I have to. I always try to find the best value for my money, I rarely regret my decisions that way.

I have prepared to spend about 35k for a high 30s HP Kubota or JD with a FEL, though I admit it was a bit of sticker shock when I first started looking. I can go a little higher if I needed to, but it doesn't sound like that would be necessary. Would love to spend less, but don't want to buy something and be wishing I had spent a few more grand to get something a little better.

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #23  
Define better. Many other brands offer more weigh and capacity

So I just stopped by the JD dealership and took a look around. They have a lot of compact tractors they are trying to move including some 2022 models so they 3032E at 4k under list. Total package for tractor, FEL, 5' tiller, and 5' RC is 31k with 0% financing for 4 years or 0.9% for 5 years. So I think I'm going to do that.

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #25  
So I just stopped by the JD dealership and took a look around. They have a lot of compact tractors they are trying to move including some 2022 models so they 3032E at 4k under list. Total package for tractor, FEL, 5' tiller, and 5' RC is 31k with 0% financing for 4 years or 0.9% for 5 years. So I think I'm going to do that.
I was going to suggest sticking with Deere because they are the closest dealer to you.
I think you made a good choice, but if there is a 3038E available.....Maybe?

I was going to suggest sticking with Deere because they are the closest dealer to you.
I think you made a good choice, but if there is a 3038E available.....Maybe?
Yeah, I looked at that, but they didn't have nearly as many 3038s to move and no 2022 models so the discounts weren't as good. I think it was about a 4-5k difference when the difference between those models is usually around 2k. I may regret it, but I think the 3032 will be enough tractor for me. I'll let you guys know how it performs with the tiller.

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #27  
Once the ground is broken, I think it will handle tilling just fine. The biggest factor, I think, in this HP range and tiller size, really is the soil condition. On virgin ground, my 4820 grunts with a 6' tiller. Once loosened, it doesn't know it's back there.

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #28  
I have similar usage. I have 12 acres, about half in Christmas trees, plus about an acre of lawn. My hour usage is similar. I do it all with a Kubota 2301 and, though it's a great tractor, it's a bit underpowered when I hit some of the heavier soils with the rototiller.
If it were not for using it on the lawn, where weight and size are a factor, an L with a bit more horsepower would be nice.
BTW, I chose Kubota largely for the dealer service we have here, as well as the 0% financing.

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #29  
My new tractor is a 1974 MF 40 construction tractor. I have owned it for 15 years of hard use. I have done very little to it and most repairs were damage from moving felled trees. I have worked circles around everyone I know who has bought new tractors for similar work because they seem to have a lot of service issues. It is a very stable tank of a tractor that has kept on ticking.

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #30  
What is a D19? A Caterpillar crawler?

Have you owned or operated a Three Point Hitch equipped tractor in the past?
Are you aware of how unstable TPH tractors are?

Is your land FLAT or will you operate on sloping ground?

Do you feel qualified to do your own tractor service? (RE: Rural King)

My anticipated use is 50-100 hours a year.

This is the operating hour range when emission control equipment may be cranky. If you can find a good 2012 or older used tractor with 35-50 horsepower it will predate emission control requirements. (DPF = diesel particulate filter + paraphernalia.)

Here are 20 tractors listed on eBay within 100 miles of Muncie, closest tractor first:

Are you aware of how unstable TPH tractors are?
Are you aware Harry Ferguson designed the three point hitch because he was tired of seeing farmers killed when tractor pulling drawbar drawn implements overturn and kill the operator? He on a handshake agreement with Henry Ford allowed Henry to use it on the 9N in 1939. Harry Ferguson work with Black and David Brown in England but could not really succeed until he started the TE series in England and the TO series in the US.
The Black Tractor - Ferguson Family Museum
As for three point hitch useage the operator must be aware it can make the front end light and may need counter balanced with weights or even a loader.

And the D19 Allis Chalmers was the first diesel to use a turbocharger.