First Time Buyer - Kubota B2320 or B2301 or B26xx or small L

/ First Time Buyer - Kubota B2320 or B2301 or B26xx or small L #1  

spc337

Tractor
buying soon
Realistically, I have a little more than an acre of pasture to care about, a large gravel driveway and then some nice lawn/garden. I sense the B23xx is already overkill but as my pasture is quite hilly, I want something more than a BX. Any recommendations in that series range? Also, I've had conflicting advice on tires. The local K-dealer suggested the Industrial Tires as a middle ground but I've also been told the Turf tires work fine in pasture provided I don't end up in mud. I'm not sure which tire would be ok on the lawn without tearing it up.

I'd love a backhoe but if I need to be honest, I'd rarely use it so I'll skip that unless I find an incredible used deal.

The dealer also suggested a 48" brush hog vs something larger. I'm guessing that just means more time mowing but would have though any of these tractors could handle something larger. I'm guess a mid-mount isn't appropriate for tall pasture grass.

Thanks in advance.

/ First Time Buyer - Kubota B2320 or B2301 or B26xx or small L #2  
I suspect the BX is too small to run even a 48" brush hog. It's more about the weight of the unit on the 3ph and stability of the tractor than raw HP. Don't think I'd want to mow an acre of 6 or 8" tall grass and weeds with it.

I've never used anything but R1 Ag tires. Granted, they do tear up the sod if it's soft. Can't speak to R4/Industrial, never ran them.

Turf tires are alleged to be good in snow and will protect your sod better than any other choice, but they have roughly ZERO traction in damp conditions be it wet grass or mud. Fine for a lawn tractor, not so much for a general purpose tractor.

JMHO, YMMV.

/ First Time Buyer - Kubota B2320 or B2301 or B26xx or small L #3  
I run a 48" rhino rotary cutter on a BX with no problem. It should work just fine for doing what you want. get a BX with a FEL, 60"MMM a 48" box blade and a 48" rotary cutter and you should be set for everything you list. If you're not in mud, the turfs will be fine. the R4's will work fine too, just need to watch it if the yard is soft after a rain.

/ First Time Buyer - Kubota B2320 or B2301 or B26xx or small L #4  
The main point of the R4 tire is durability and load capacity, thus they are mainly for construction, industrial use, and general banging around. If you do a lot of loader work, backhoe work, or grading work around homesites and construction sites, I'd say the R4 is a good choice for durability. Turfs are best for mowing or work on manicured lawns (I just mean lawns where you care about minimizing damage to turf). Ag tires are best for farming and/or work in muddy conditions. All the tires have their "focus" and they all have compromises when you go outside the focus. So pick the tire that matches your main priorities/needs and plan on accepting some compromises for other work.

/ First Time Buyer - Kubota B2320 or B2301 or B26xx or small L #5  
Realistically, I have a little more than an acre of pasture to care about, a large gravel driveway and then some nice lawn/garden. I sense the B23xx is already overkill but as my pasture is quite hilly, I want something more than a BX. Any recommendations in that series range? Also, I've had conflicting advice on tires. The local K-dealer suggested the Industrial Tires as a middle ground but I've also been told the Turf tires work fine in pasture provided I don't end up in mud. I'm not sure which tire would be ok on the lawn without tearing it up.

I'd love a backhoe but if I need to be honest, I'd rarely use it so I'll skip that unless I find an incredible used deal.

The dealer also suggested a 48" brush hog vs something larger. I'm guessing that just means more time mowing but would have though any of these tractors could handle something larger. I'm guess a mid-mount isn't appropriate for tall pasture grass.

Thanks in advance.

The new series 2301 & 2601 have some nice upgrades over the prior 2320 and 2620. It appears they dropped the 2920 equivalent in the new series (probably due to tier four final requirements), if you still have a 2320 or 2620 available you just have to decide if the price is worth it.

I had a 2920 and liked it...traded it in for other reasons, but I think you will like either of the 23xx or 26xx model size. As far as tires, it sounds like what you have been told is good advice. One type of tire that was available on some B models is a tire called "bar turf" that you have to request. I have used a Kubota with this style and they are a nice traction tire still meant for mowing, just not always available. You will have 4wd so that overcomes some of the problem of turfs in mud.

What will your primary use of tractor? Let that guide your tire choice. You mentioned nice lawn and garden...so a MMM on these models were a floating deck vs the larger b's suspended deck which rides on the wheels. But this may have changed with the new B2650 that you would have to check.
But for the two B's mentioned a 4' brush hog would be close to the limit. Maybe a 54" available by a couple manufacturers, as 5' would be pushing it with the hills you mentioned.

/ First Time Buyer - Kubota B2320 or B2301 or B26xx or small L #6  
Well said ! I'm new here , and thinking about buying a sub compact tractor for helping my son's and brothers with various chores . We burn fire wood ,have 200 acres in the Adirondacks. Need to up keep drainage ditches. Light road maintenance, small stump removals. Raking...all neat good outdoor stuff. Excavation around camping areas. I'd be interested in your opinions on both the Kubota and Mahindra tractors or any others for that matter. Thanks Suf

/ First Time Buyer - Kubota B2320 or B2301 or B26xx or small L #7  
First off, welcome to TBN, spc337!

I would think a BX with 23 Hp would be the better choice for what you described for tasks, especially if your land has any pitch to it.
If flat, then I'd give the B2320 a closer look, especially if you're interested in gardening and could use the extra ground clearance.

For most work, the turf tires on a smaller tractor seem to work really well, especially when the soil is a little soft or wet - less rut making. If your soil is constantly wet, and your land is hilly, then R1 tires might be a more successful choice.
Better to leave some tire tracks than to be making ruts on a regular basis.

I think a 4' rough cutter is about as big as I would want to go on the size of tractor you are considering. It's really a matter of a large cutter weighing more and moving the CG of that increased weight farther aft - almost guaranteed to lift the front tires off the ground. That forces you to leave the FEL on or get a weight set for the front. I like to mow with the FEL off - much easier to avoid fences, trees and such. Another benefit of the smaller cutter is that you will be more nimble and be able to get between things to mow where you can't go with a bigger cutter.

Last edited:
   / First Time Buyer - Kubota B2320 or B2301 or B26xx or small L #8  
Well said ! I'm new here , and thinking about buying a sub compact tractor for helping my son's and brothers with various chores . We burn fire wood ,have 200 acres in the Adirondacks. Need to up keep drainage ditches. Light road maintenance, small stump removals. Raking...all neat good outdoor stuff. Excavation around camping areas. I'd be interested in your opinions on both the Kubota and Mahindra tractors or any others for that matter. Thanks Suf

Just to do some of the light maintenance you outlined, I would suggest a minimum of the largest B Kubota or a small L. For example a B2650, with skid steer (SS) quick attach FEL bucket, with forks or maybe a lightweight grapple, a BH 77, 5' landplane for the roads etc., after that whatever size tractor and setup budget allows. Or a true construction TLB like a Kubota B26.

You mentioned subcompact, which if you contract out larger jobs, a SC would certainly help. I just think a compact as a minimum would work out better in the long run for the scale of what you outlined.

I just used Kubota for an example, but all the major manufacturers are good with equivalent tractors (except the construction TLB's which are unique to Kubota). Welcome and that sounds pretty nice to be involved in 200 acres to enjoy.

/ First Time Buyer - Kubota B2320 or B2301 or B26xx or small L #9  
Lots of good information to consider and I can't add much if any, but just a couple of thoughts. I have two BXs and run a 48" rotary cutter, but as mentioned, I have to have weight on the front if the ground is not pretty flat. While we love our BXs, we have a GL for the bigger stuff, if not we would have gone with a B or other brand equivalent. I looked at a 2920 several years ago, but HATE quarter inching 3PH and the B was to "tippy" for our hilly property.

A B has a three range transmission, more lift and a smoother ride and the stability can be improved with wheel spacers and the 23/2601 comes with position control instead of the quarter inching on the B23/2600. I really like the new B2650/3350, but they are a bit bigger, heavier and more expensive, they are nice, but I doubt you need one or anything bigger than the standard B.

As to tires, that debate will never be settled. We have Ag, Industrial and Turf on different machines. My inclination is to go with Industrials based on your slopes, but can understand going with Turf, I wouldn't seriously consider Ags/Bar. I have Ag/Bar on my BX2200 and Industrial on my BX2660 and unless you're in mud or really loose soil, traction difference is almost negligble, but the Ag/Bar will cause a bit more soil disturbance on your lawn the degree depending on your soil type.

/ First Time Buyer - Kubota B2320 or B2301 or B26xx or small L #10  

Pretty much what Tompet said and leaning more heavily to the L Series. I do a lot of what you describe and use an L5740, thought it would be more than I needed, but tractors shrink when you get them home and there are times I go get our M8540 to make it a bit easier/quicker. As mentioned there are lots of good tractors of all makes available, so I'd suggest looking at them all. My last new tractor was a Kubota and my brothers was a Kioti and we're both happy, the next may be an LS or something else.