First time owner Montana 3840, general questions/maintenance questions

/ First time owner Montana 3840, general questions/maintenance questions #1  

tdpalms

Tractor
Montana 3840
Finally got rid of the skidsteer to switch to a tractor for chores around the homestead. I have previously owned a 1960s Allis Chalmers, but this is my first "modern" tractor. The Montana only has 292 hours on it, but the buddy I bought it from got it on trade for another piece of equipment so the maintenance history on it is very unknown. That said, I plan to grease everything and change the oil this weekend for starters. Going to run the full synthetic Rotella T6 15w40 in it, as we have pretty drastic temperature variances up here in South Dakota. It will be stored in my heated garage in the winter, so I'm not terribly concerned with moving to a 10w30 or 5w40 for colder starts. I did run into some discrepancies on the oil filter however. NAPA comes up with a 7040 filter when looking up the OEM part number, but shows a 51365 when they look up by the tractor model number. Anyone have any opinion on that? Maybe they both work just fine.

Does anyone have any other service recommendations for me to do right off the bat? I plan to check levels in the transmission, axles, etc but not sure if I need to do full fluid swaps at this point? If so, any recommendation on what hy-tran fluid to use? It calls for 80w trans oil but I am not having much luck finding that anywhere other than 80w axle grease. Just want to decrease the risk of major issues in the future by doing whatever scheduled maintenance I can! Also if anyone has any experience running implements on this machine I would love to know what will/won't work on this rig. Currently just have the loader, a brush hog, and a harrow, but would like to be able to use a 3pt auger for some new fencing that needs to go up next spring.

Lastly, if anyone has any leads on a prefabricated cab that may work on this, or ideas to fabricate a homemade one I would definitely take those suggestions as well! Would make pushing snow this winter a lot more tolerable!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 3840.jpg
    3840.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 51
   / First time owner Montana 3840, general questions/maintenance questions #2  
First off, welcome to TBN from another South Dakotan (though we're in TX now). My cousins ranch about 45 miles NW of you. There are quite a few with SD ties here.

That (and many) Montana model was made by LS. I'm not sure if it is just a repainted LS model or separate design.

This site may give you some additional info about that tractor.

/ First time owner Montana 3840, general questions/maintenance questions #3  
Congrats on the new tractor. I also just got a Montana a few weeks ago and have had more questions then I feel like Ive found answers for. I got a 4940c with 300hrs on it. I just did a oil change on mine and am going through all the fluids. I also went with the 15w40 Rotella T6.

I pulled up the parts manual for your tractor and the part number im showing is MD134953. If you cross reference that online it will give you lots of options. looks like theres a few wix filters that should work for your tractor. Hope this helps.

I'm going to do a drain on my hydraulic oil and put a new filter on soon after I fix a leaky hydraulic cylinder.

/ First time owner Montana 3840, general questions/maintenance questions #4  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Other than what you're already doing, I'd torque all of the wheel lugs to the 'manual' specs. 'Snug' every nut that you can access, lubricate everything with a grease nipple (zerk) AND lubricate everything that moves (without a grease nipple) with a lanoline based lubricant.

/ First time owner Montana 3840, general questions/maintenance questions #5  
I have a 3040 with is the same tractor with less hp. The front axle uses 80w90 gear oil and everything else uses any generic Hydraulic / Trans fluid. I use Spirax (Shell) S4 TXM Tractor Transmission & Hydraulic Oil but have used others also.

The only other thing I can think of is check the bolts that hold the loader on, specifically going into the casting by the transmission. My dealer said that some people when they installed the loader used the same bolts that were in the holes which with the loader are now 1/2 inch to short. They come loose and eventually cause more damage. If they are tight they are fine if are loose you have a problem.

Gary

/ First time owner Montana 3840, general questions/maintenance questions
Congrats on the new tractor. I also just got a Montana a few weeks ago and have had more questions then I feel like Ive found answers for. I got a 4940c with 300hrs on it. I just did a oil change on mine and am going through all the fluids. I also went with the 15w40 Rotella T6.

I pulled up the parts manual for your tractor and the part number im showing is MD134953. If you cross reference that online it will give you lots of options. looks like theres a few wix filters that should work for your tractor. Hope this helps.

I'm going to do a drain on my hydraulic oil and put a new filter on soon after I fix a leaky hydraulic cylinder.
Thank you for that! Cross reference shows both the filters I listed above so I should be set to go on that! Let me know how the hydraulic fix and fill goes for you. I think that's going to be something I tackle soon as well.

I have a 3040 with is the same tractor with less hp. The front axle uses 80w90 gear oil and everything else uses any generic Hydraulic / Trans fluid. I use Spirax (Shell) S4 TXM Tractor Transmission & Hydraulic Oil but have used others also.

The only other thing I can think of is check the bolts that hold the loader on, specifically going into the casting by the transmission. My dealer said that some people when they installed the loader used the same bolts that were in the holes which with the loader are now 1/2 inch to short. They come loose and eventually cause more damage. If they are tight they are fine if are loose you have a problem.

Gary
I was hoping that was the case on the hyd oil. I will give the Spirax a try, might as well run shell fluids in everything at this point! and thanks for the heads up on the loader bolts, I will definitely be checking those.

First off, welcome to TBN from another South Dakotan (though we're in TX now). My cousins ranch about 45 miles NW of you. There are quite a few with SD ties here.

That (and many) Montana model was made by LS. I'm not sure if it is just a repainted LS model or separate design.

This site may give you some additional info about that tractor.

Always great to hear from another South Dakotan! Fortunately I was able to track down a "dealer" for LS up in Belle Fourche. He let me know that he can still access basically every part for the Montanas through LS still today. He also mentioned that he ships so if anyone else is in need of parts his business is Mel's Farm Repair (605) 569-0591

/ First time owner Montana 3840, general questions/maintenance questions #9  
Excellent! I grew up East River, but that ranch in the Hills has been in their family 150+ years (near Bear Butte). My folks moved to SF to be closer to the VA, but I try to get to the Hills every couple of years. If weather and all cooperate, we'll be out in April for branding.

I almost went with LS when I got my TYM. They make a good tractor. I prefer the Montana green to the LS blue (or the JD green). Hope all goes well.

/ First time owner Montana 3840, general questions/maintenance questions #10  
Thank you for that! Cross reference shows both the filters I listed above so I should be set to go on that! Let me know how the hydraulic fix and fill goes for you. I think that's going to be something I tackle soon as well.
No problem and will do. I found the seals I needed through LS.