First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #1  

JerkyChew

Tractor
shopping
Be gentle, this is my first time plowing with my tractor as well as my first time with a fullsize plow. All noob jokes are expected. :)

I have an L3560HTC that I've added a 7-foot quick-attach plow to. She looks like this:
1704733001037.jpeg

Yesterday was the first snow and I attempted to use the FEL's "float" mode where the plow is supposed to just glide smoothly over bumps and things like a happy little pillow. Only in my case it just shoved into the driveway and tried to dig up what little asphalt I have left. I have a couple theories as to why but wanted to ask the experts before I do something horribly (yet hilariously) wrong.

My thoughts are that perhaps it's related to the angle of the plow, or the lack of plow shoes, or some combination of the two? I figure that since it has such a large forward protrusion off the SSQA attachment that I just need to angle it more upward than level to make everything happy, but I worry that I'll end up just digging some other part of the plow into my driveway and not notice till it's too late. Does anyone have advice or a tutorial on the proper way to make this all work? So far I've only found generic "how to plow" videos on Youtube.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #2  
I think your logic is right on the money. ".. perhaps it's related to the angle of the plow, or the lack of plow shoes, or some combination of the two?" Yes, that is the primary adjustments you need to make to avoid gouging your pavement.
You also said "... I figure that since it has such a large forward protrusion off the SSQA attachment that I just need to angle it more upward than level to make everything happy, ..." which is true too. Cut and try making small incremental adjustments as you go and you'll find a sweet spot that gets the job done but causes little/no damage. Probably #1 priority is some kind of skids under the blade to keep it from diggins in. Some of those look like round pads with adjustable height and some spring loaded, etc. You might get away with skids that just barely keep the blade tip from pavement contact.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #3  
Second year for me plowing with my TYM 474. Don't use the auto float feature. I had the same issue the first time and in later snow storms started just setting the blade down until it touched the ground. Worked that way yesterday and today to finish up. Don't put pressure on the plow though, you don't want the front wheels to lose traction.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #5  
Like Jakes Tractor, I don't float my front ssqa blade either. I lower the blade until it justs touches, then feather as necessary. I have about an inch of up / down slop in the plow pivot, so follows small contours easily enough.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #6  
First, yes shoes are a must. Second, you need to get used to constantly adjusting the depth if your ground is not very flat. I have hills and I am adjusting it all the time. Also just get used to leaving an inch or 2 on the top early in the season unless you are plowing on concrete.

Lastly that is a heavy blade, so your ground needs to be VERY frozen to keep it from digging in even with shoes. Early season I make sure I am 1-2 inches off the ground all the time so as to not dig into unfrozen ground. If you cannot see the front edge you might invest in some remote cameras that can display in the cab.

I only have a plow blade on my RTV...a V plow. Works great...I use it 90% of the time all season and only get the tractor PTO blower out if we get some really bad stuff.

Just give yourself some time, go slow and work on getting good at feathering the controls.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #7  
As you have correctly surmised, your problems are geometry, physics, and lack of experience.

Because of the great distance the plow is ahead of the front axle and the relatively short wheelbase of the tractor, any slight pitching of the tractor translates to big height movements at the blade. I admire RjCorazza and Jchonline's claimed ability to feather their blades to keep them at near constant height. Another bit of geometry: Unless the pin about which the plow rotates is exactly vertical, the blade will not remain exactly horizontal when the plow is angled left or right. This can be advantageous if the road has a crown or camber; experience will teach you. Tipping the pin forward or backward (curl or uncurl) has a similar but smaller effect when the blade is angled.

Because of the blade's small bearing area relative to its weight, skids, "Edge Tamers", or caster wheels are necessary on a floating plow to increase the bearing area and reduce the ground pressure to what the road surface can withstand. Concrete and ice are robust; mud, snow, and loose stone are not.

If the remainder of the snow season does not provide the skills to use the plow in its present configuration there are many threads on this forum on modifying plows to float better.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway
You guys are awesome! So much insight.

@Captain Dirty - you hit on the second issue I've run into that I was going to ask about once this first item was figured out:

Another bit of geometry: Unless the pin about which the plow rotates is exactly vertical, the blade will not remain exactly horizontal when the plow is angled left or right. This can be advantageous if the road has a crown or camber; experience will teach you.
- My driveway is pretty long and VERY crowned. It's almost 30 years old and has a nasty peak in the middle and the fact that this plow is so wide means that it only really skims the middle of the driveway. It moves most of the snow off but unforunately what's left behind is, ya know, what people drive on.

I had the idea of a heavily angled box blade dragged behind on a final pass, but now that you mention the angle when angled, I'm going to go measure the height and see if maybe there's a sweet spot I can find to get those nooks and crannies. Lots to learn here, thanks everyone!

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #9  
I have almost the identical set-up;shoes don't help much until the ground is frozen.
Just too much weight.I use a rear blade when things aren't frozen or the ATV.
An edge guard(pipe) may help or gauge wheels.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #10  
I use a rear blade with a yellow soft snow edge bolted on. It’s pretty light weight and with the snow edge it doesn’t try to dig in to bad. Looking at your picture it looks like a pretty substantial plow and the weight is part of the problem. Like already said shoes would help.