First time tractor buyer needs help

/ First time tractor buyer needs help
Either way I am thinking now about the 2400/2600 instead of the 2410/2610. My father made a very good point, likely for the amount I will use the backhoe I could just rent one or hire someone to do it. The differance in cost between the 2410 and 2400 for example at one dealer is $6400...I can't see myself getting $6400 worth of value out of the backhoe despite how cool it may be...probobly I would be better off not getting the backhoe and either getting a tiller or a blade or a snow blower instead

/ First time tractor buyer needs help #22  
Hi Newdeal. Your R4 tires should not be hard on your lawn, your tractor is light (keep it on 2wd). They will be average in mud and R4 are a lot tougher than the turf tires. Concerning the 0% financing BEWARE.... I live in Quebec and just bought a new MF 1643 and there is a price to pay for your 0% financing.If you pay cash you could pay $1500 less or more. At a Kubota dealer the cash price was $4,500 less than the 0% financing.....so it is NOT a real 0% (it was the same at my MF dealer, the 0% price is higher than the cash price)). By the way I,m very proud to have my 1643, it is a very nice built tractor....and I use it for mowing also with R4 tires ( I had a 550 Oliver with used R1 tires and it was not hard on the turf so new R4 will be the same.) Have fun and be safe.Roger
;)
All types of tires will tear up the ground so why give up the better traction of AGs ?

/ First time tractor buyer needs help #23  
newdeal, make sure you try one out before buying. Considered a drive to Dunnville to test out a Kioti? Check all the brands before making a decision.

If your local MF dealer is in Vineland? , it is owned by a company that has several MF/Kubota dealers so they have little incentive to compete in pricing. I've used them for warranty work for a tractor that wasn't bought there, and had no problems. Decide what attachments you may want to go with the tractor and try to include them in the purchase price. Rear blade, box blade, snowblower , chipper etc. Not financing can make a difference.

If you don't have a trailer to move the tractor, you may be able to get free pickup for warranty service. That was pretty standard 5 years ago, not sure if they still do it.

IMO turfs would probably be better than R4s for mowing and snow clearing. Even R1s in mud won't help a lot. You'll still end up having to use the FEL to drag yourself out. You quickly learn to use 2WD until you get stuck, and 4WD to get unstuck. :D

/ First time tractor buyer needs help #24  
You have a thoughtful father. :)

newdeal, make sure you try one out before buying. Considered a drive to Dunnville to test out a Kioti? Check all the brands before making a decision.

If your local MF dealer is in Vineland? , it is owned by a company that has several MF/Kubota dealers so they have little incentive to compete in pricing. I've used them for warranty work for a tractor that wasn't bought there, and had no problems. Decide what attachments you may want to go with the tractor and try to include them in the purchase price. Rear blade, box blade, snowblower , chipper etc. Not financing can make a difference.

If you don't have a trailer to move the tractor, you may be able to get free pickup for warranty service. That was pretty standard 5 years ago, not sure if they still do it.

IMO turfs would probably be better than R4s for mowing and snow clearing. Even R1s in mud won't help a lot. You'll still end up having to use the FEL to drag yourself out. You quickly learn to use 2WD until you get stuck, and 4WD to get unstuck. :D

Yeah the local one is in Vineland, the better one is in Dundas. I am going to drive them tommarrow. I called the Kioti dealer to get a price, they had a couple options, one was a 2005 with a used mower and loader for 15,500, one was a new one with a new loader and used deck for 17,999 and one was a demo unit with demo loader and used deck for 16,500. I know the kioti is a bigger tractor but yet I feel like I don't really need the extra size and even redtrac quoted me 14,600 on a brand new gc2400 with mower and loader. I am sure that at the better massey dealer I could get the 2600 with loader and mower for probobly 14000 or less (considering cash price was 1400 lower for the 2610 than the 2410 was at redtrac)

/ First time tractor buyer needs help #26  
I've shopped in Dundas for attachments. Gave a local dealer a chance to match their price, wouldn't budge off MSRP. They have quite a large selection of rear snowblowers, tillers, box blades, rear blades and chippers in stock. Watch the speed limits off the highway, that's a brutal area for radar.

/ First time tractor buyer needs help #27  
Originally Posted by LBrown59
Wonder why there are way more BX owners than GC owners?;)

1*What kind of comment is that? Another useless post.
Have you counted who owns what, or just talking out your smart end?
2*I bet there are more Cavalier owners than Corvette owners as well, doesn't mean squat..
1*O come on now there was no need for rudeness.
2*Like most Apples to Oranges comparisons it don't.:)

/ First time tractor buyer needs help #28  
Hi Newdeal,

Your dad is right that the backhoe can be an expensive counterweight for the loader...but there are differences between the 2400 and 2410 that you need to understand before you pull the trigger.

First is the $ 6400 difference you mentioned between the 2400 and 2410 including a loader on the 2400? The 2400 does not come with the factory joystick (I believe the 2600 does) so if you want to put a loader on a 2400 it is a little more expensive than a 2600. You will need to decide if you want a loader or not. I think you will find plenty of uses for a backhoe if you have one. But if you don't need a loader then you probably don't need a backhoe either.

The folding ROPS is a really big deal for me, I need to lower my ROPS to park my 2410. I could not park a 2400 or 2600 under my house, the ROPS would hit the beam that holds up that side of the house.

And just to confuse matters more have you considered a 3PT finish mower instead of a Mid-Mount? It seems that the Mid-Mount provides a nicer cut but I wonder if your property is better suited to a 3PT mower? The 3PT mower is less maneuverable but which mower is more economical?

I personally only have a 1/2 acre lot and my GC 2410 is a big boy toy in many ways. I tore my rotator cuff several years ago building a small retaining wall on the south side of our lot. After 2 surgeries and lots of physical therapy my shoulder is about 60% of the strength before the injury. Actually I only finished about 1/2 of the wall and still have the other half to build and I am not going to tear that rotator cuff again. I use my loader like a power wheel barrel and the backhoe sure comes in handy for fixing lawn sprinklers. I have a septic tank and the leach line is starting to go bad so instead of paying $ 6-7k to have the man replace the lines I will do the work myself. I no longer use shovels to dig around the house, my wife wants me to plant 4 bare root roses over the weekend and the backhoe will dig really nice holes for the roses. Maybe my tractor is overkill but it sure is fun. And for $ 231.83 per month cheap too.

The new tractor is very nice but if you don't need the loader or backhoe you might want to consider Gale Hawkins advise and look for a good used tractor even if you needed to buy a new finish mower for it. The warranty and piece of mind is well worth the extra expense of the new tractor for me. There is a really nice Massey 135 deluxe available near me for $ 4900 and even though I don't need another tractor it is in too nice of condition for me to pass it up...I just need to find the cash and sneak it home.

Bruce

/ First time tractor buyer needs help #29  
Hi Newdeal, something you might want to check with your dealer....bmarion mentioned about no folding rops on the 2400/2600.....but when I started pricing I too decided I didn't really need to spend on a backhoe. For the same price I could get a 2600 with the fel, mm mower and a tiller. Two dealers quoted me for what they called 2400L/2600L's. They had the 2 piece folding ROPS.

I went and drove the Massey 2400 today, along with the Kubota 2360 and the JD 2305. I went into the experiance thinking the Massey was the one for sure and came out with the Massey at the bottom of the list! First we went to Kubota and talked to them, I never drove it and we went to the Massey dealer since I was sure I would like the Massey better anyway. He started it up and man it vibrated alot more than I thought it would, but like I said I am a first time buyer so I thought maybe they all do that. I took it for a drive, the hydrostatic if you let off of it stopped very abruptly which I didn't like too much. The price was 14,600 and the dealer wouldn't budge from that (with 60" mmm and loader plus tax). Then we went to see the Deere, it didn't look as impressive with fewer levers and what not but I took it for a drive anyway, the engine vibrated MUCH less than the 2400, and the ride was nicer, letting off the hydro didn't stop it quite as quickly but still stopped it pretty good. The price on the Deere was 16,800 which he then said he could drop to 16,500 including 62" mmm, loader, plus tax...I liked it but no cruise control from the factory, limited cat 1 three point hitch, and the joystick seemed to be in the way when trying to enter from that side of the tractor (and I am skinny so if its in the way for me most people would find it impossible). Then I decided I had driven the other two so we went back to the Kubota dealership. The people there were very nice, turns out I went to school with the one guys brother and my brother went to school with the salesman. We took the tractor for a test drive and it seemed nice, vibrated much less than the Massey, noticably louder than the Massey or the Deere, didn't stop abruptly like the Massey (in fact it almost doesn't stop enough just by letting off the hydro). Overall it was a nice unit, so just from driving them I had rated them as Deere being my first choice, then the Kubota and then the Massey. We talked price with the guys on the Kubota and it started out being 16,000 for 60" mmm, loader plus tax. Then after we talked for a bit and he did some more figuring it dropped to 13,700 for the package including delivery etc (plus tax). I like the Deere, but no cruise is pretty much a deal breaker for me and its signifigantly more expensive, the Massey just didn't live up to my expectations and I expected it to be the best, and the Kubota exceeded my expectations, I know the dealer it turns out and the price is better than the rest, and the dealer is about 15 minutes from my house instead of 45. So now to me the Kubota is in the lead, I realise the higher RPMs it runs at makes it louder, I couldn't adequately tell how much louder it really was because when I started it and revved it up it was in a warehouse and the rest of them were outside so maybe its not even as loud as I thought, but thanks for all the help, as it is right now I think I will go to the Kubota.