First time using a disc. That was fun!

/ First time using a disc. That was fun! #1  

Marveltone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111
Okay, a little quick history first.

Late last summer, I bought a '57 Fordson Major to do the bigger jobs my little Ford 1510 couldn't; specifically more ag related tasks like field work and haying. Early this spring, I bought a very used Kewanee 130 disc from a local retired farmer for $200, in hopes that the Fordson could handle a fairly heavy 11' disc in moist, loamy soil. One of my well-meaning work cohorts told me, "I've been farming all my life, and that little Fordson will never pull that big of a disc. Get a 7 or 8 footer."

Challenge accepted.

First, we had to completely disassemble the disc to replace some of the spools and half the blades. We repacked the wheel bearings, welded a few spots on the frame, rebuilt a bearing cover and put better used tires on it. In short, made it usable again. This project has consumed a goodly portion of the summer (between more important projects), but I feel it was well worth it.

Today was our proofing session. I have a small, odd-shaped two acre portion of my field that is too awkward for my renter to plant with his big equipment, so I decided to save it for myself as a tractor playground. This will give me something to learn on now so that maybe next year I can actually do something productive with it. Over the course of the summer, the weeds have taken over, so Now is the time to stir them up before they go to seed. A perfect test platform for the disc! It has been raining for most of the day, so the soil is really a bit stickier than I would like, but I decided I'd jump in and see what happens anyway.

I ran the Fordson wide open in 3rd gear for a bit, then discovered it did even better in 4th. The tractor had no problem at all in the dryer spots and really dug in where it was more moist and sticky, but never seemed to struggle. I made one pass over the entire plot, looked it over and decided to make another series of passes at a 45 degree angle from my first passes to chop up the weeds even better. Even in the soft, second pass, I could keep it in 4th gear (5.25 mph) without a problem.

I think I found a good match!

Joe

Attachments

• 0706132035.jpg
    0706132035.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 0706132034a.jpg
    0706132034a.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 309
  • 0706132034.jpg
    0706132034.jpg
    913.1 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCF2307.jpg
    DSCF2307.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 493
  • DSCF2302.jpg
    DSCF2302.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 367
   / First time using a disc. That was fun! #2  
That first picture is a classic and beautifully composed! I almost want to print and frame it myself. :cool:

/ First time using a disc. That was fun! #3  
Very nice old iron you got there! I love to see tractors at work with hard working attachments.

/ First time using a disc. That was fun!
That first picture is a classic and beautifully composed! I almost want to print and frame it myself. :cool:
Aw, shucks! :eek:
Very nice old iron you got there! I love to see tractors at work with hard working attachments.
Thanks! This was my first time really working the old Major, and it sounded great under load.

Joe

/ First time using a disc. That was fun! #5  
Congratulations on the successful run. That would be a blast!

/ First time using a disc. That was fun! #6  
Unfair! I think you've been totally unfair, suckering in your cohorts to think that your Fordson Major was a little less than a superman of a tractor :) Little 11' disc is like a stroll through the park for it.

I had a '60 Fordson Dexta (Ole' Blue) that had worked all it's life providing for the family income. And I think it'd pull over a mountain.

/ First time using a disc. That was fun! #7  

For some reason, he sort of reminds me of captain morgan posing in that first pic!! Maybe it's the hat lol. But, good job with the disc and the plowing!

/ First time using a disc. That was fun! #8  
My first tractor was '63 super major. Great tractor. Tons of power. Too big for my needs. I pulled a 10' single gang disc with it. The disc sucked but the tractor didn't struggle at all. I still miss that thing. They like to work hard, they run better that way. Try working hard at night, you'll notice little sparks coming front the exhaust( carbon burning I believe).

/ First time using a disc. That was fun! #9  
Nice looking disc. And pretty impressive plowing in damp soil with that 1957 Major. Engine hp must be around 45 hp. Drawbar hp was tested around 35 hp.
I bought a Minneapolis Moline KS1300 wheel disc a few years ago for $600 from my tractor dealer. Cut it down from 13 ft wide to about 8.5 ft wide so my Mahindra 5525 could handle it better. It was a fun restoration/modification job.

/ First time using a disc. That was fun!
For some reason, he sort of reminds me of captain morgan posing in that first pic!! Maybe it's the hat lol. But, good job with the disc and the plowing!
Captain Morgan needs hid down-time also! :D

Joe