First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4 #11  
Standard grease gun. You probably should get an owners manual for the tractor and any implements to show you the grease points. For one tractor buying by the cartridge is fine.

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4
Standard grease gun. You probably should get an owners manual for the tractor and any implements to show you the grease points. For one tractor buying by the cartridge is fine.

Thanks Hematite! Yes my wife told me at dinner tonight when I mentioned how helpful and gracious you all have been to me on this site that, "You need to get an Owners Manual". I agreed. I hope to find one online unless you have a suggestion on where to find one. Thanks again for your willingness to assist me and offer suggestions.

Adam

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4 #13  
To go along with what Hematite said, I think two grease guns is the best. One of them should have a rigid pipe/snout and the other one should have a flexible hose end for access to tight spots where grease fittings are often found. Buy a quality gun, not the cheaper kind. Also, get one with a valve on it to relieve air trapped in the head of the gun when you put a new cartridge in. Some guns just have a screw and others have a little ball checkvalve. For the real "Cadillac" of grease guns, get a battery-powered gun. My sweet wife bought me one for Father's Day and I love it. Grease tubes come in little cardboard cases, I think 12 to a case. That's a good way to buy grease. The box helps keep the tubes together and in a spot where you can easily find them.

You need to spend the money for Owner's Manuals. There is a manual for your tractor and a separate manual for your loader. It constantly amazes me that people will sell a tractor and not have the manual(s) or not know where it is. Last year I bought a 12-year old Kubota diesel lawnmower with no manual. The first thing I did was order an Operator's Manual and Maintenance Manual. I've already used both of those manuals several times. The electrical schematics alone are priceless. Oh well, this is starting to sound like a lecture, so I'll stop. If you buy a grease gun, it should come with instructions, hopefully in understandable English.

Here's a list of places besides the loader that you will find grease zerks:

1. Steering tierods on each wheel
2. Front axle up/down pivot - normally two zerks: front side/back side
3. Under operator's platform - pedals: cross shafts and pivot points
4. 3PH tilt levelling box

On the loader, you have two zerks that you can only get to when you remove the loader from the tractor. These are on the posts that mate to the tractor. There's a spring-loaded pin in there and a grease fitting you can see through a hole. NH recommends greasing this once a year or when the loader is removed.

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4 #14  
Nice looking job. Its fun to use a nice piece of equipment to get the job done. Makes it easier and safer as well. Don't worry to much about what kind of grease you use. Plain auto or hardware store grease will work fine just use plenty of it. Sometimes people think way to hard about these things. The manual will have a chart with all of the lube points on it. Until you get your manual just remember that *if it moves it need lubrication*. Don't forget about the brake, hydro pedal, and 4wd linkages under the tractor. Look for parts that move then look for the zerk that lubricates it. I find that a grease gun with a pistol grip is easiest to use. I can hold the end of the hose on the zerk fitting with one hand and pump grease with the other.

Hint: Now is a good time to get into the habit of keeping your bucket as close to the ground as possible without scraping. Keeping the bucket low lowers the center of gravity. If the bucket is kept near the gournd it can be dropped quickly to act as an emergency brake or stabilizer if things start to get out of control.

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4
Okay:thumbsup:

Got two grease guns one cost 100 and the other 30. The battery operated ones go for 200 -- I had to pass on that. Bot one case of lithium based grease. Ordered owner manual on tractor and loader. Thanks to all for getting me on track to keeping my tractor for the long haul.

Adam