First Tractor suggestions

/ First Tractor suggestions #1  

JonathanP

Tractor
Kubota L2501
Looking to purchase my first tractor and would appreciate some suggestions…

Operator: Big Guy 350lbs, 6’6”, big size 16
shoes
Uses:
-maintenance/yearly rebuild of 1/2 mile dirt/gravel driveway
-clear and farm roughly 6 acres in relatively mucky soil
-post hole digging for 1/2 mile stretch
-harvesting trees for firewood (grapple)
-pulling mower
-tilling 3 acres and farming it
-occasionally snowplowing 1/2 mile drive
-intend to use a rotary cutter, box blade, post hole digger, and grapple (finish mower down the road)
-may eventually lease 10 acres of farm land to farm

Appreciate your advice!

My budget is capped at 40K. Preferably less.

Have been looking at the Kubota L/Grand L series but open to any alternatives

/ First Tractor suggestions #2  
Is your $40k for just the tractor or tractor + implements to do all the chores you are suggesting?

/ First Tractor suggestions #3  
The only advice I can give you right off the bat (given the parameters you posted), you want a geared transmission and NOT hydro. A clutchless powershuttle is preferred, but a synchroshuttle (have to use the clutch to operate the reverser) would do as well.

Kubota is a fine tractor, you can't go wrong there. Massey Ferguson is good, too, and not nearly as expensive as John Deere (or Kubota). Either way, it may be difficult to buy new with your budget.

/ First Tractor suggestions #4  
What does “fame land to farm” mean? Hay? Cotton? Potatoes? All are different requirements.

I have a 84” finish mower…every time I hook it up I regret not investing that money in a zero turn.

/ First Tractor suggestions
   / First Tractor suggestions #6  
Don't buy a John Deer. Cause you don't own it. It is very stange to say that a Russian tractor, gives you more freedom to repair it than one from more modern western vendors.

/ First Tractor suggestions #7  
You'll get lots of good advice here. I think you will want a large frame 40hp - 60hp tractor with R1 Ag tires. I think the Kubota Grand L or MX (not the standard L01 series) would be good contenders. My brand choices would also include Kioti, Yanmar, John Deere and New Holland / LS. You should start by visiting lots of dealers (that have tractors on the lot) and carefully looking at the features, test driving them, and getting a feel for "the feel". You will learn something new each time you look.

Yanmar has been building tractors for John Deere for decades, and are now selling under their own name. Their Yanmar Yt359 is right in the sweet spot for your needs and has an innovative and exceptional transmission. I would love to own one.

/ First Tractor suggestions #8  
Looking to purchase my first tractor and would appreciate some suggestions…

Operator: Big Guy 350lbs, 6’6”, big size 16
shoes

My budget is capped at 40K. Preferably less.

Have been looking at the Kubota L/Grand L series but open to any alternatives

Kubota Grand L tractors are excellent. Enough weight and power for sixteen acres of cropland. Spacious operating station with a tilt wheel and air-ride seat. You will need to reinforce the entry/exit step or it will sag in the center.

An open station Grand L will not fit under an 84" garage door header with the ROPS folded. I trust you will have a barn.

-intend to use a rotary cutter....
As you specify mowing I recommend an L4760 over the L4060.

MORE: Kubota L3560 Paraphernalia Storage on Tractor

Last edited:
   / First Tractor suggestions #9  
You'll get lots of good advice here. I think you will want a large frame 40hp - 60hp tractor with R1 Ag tires. I think the Kubota Grand L or MX (not the standard L01 series) would be good contenders. My brand choices would also include Kioti, Yanmar, John Deere and New Holland / LS. You should start by visiting lots of dealers (that have tractors on the lot) and carefully looking at the features, test driving them, and getting a feel for "the feel". You will learn something new each time you look.

Yanmar has been building tractors for John Deere for decades, and are now selling under their own name. Their Yanmar Yt359 is right in the sweet spot for your needs and has an innovative and exceptional transmission. I would love to own one.

Yanmar was the first non Ford-Chevy tractor dealer to show up in the N. Dallas area back in the early 70's. Literature indicates that they pioneered the Swirl Chamber Indirect Injection (IDI) systems for small tractors. The process allows for larger holes in the injectors, mist quality isn't as important and faster starting and is currently used by other manufacturers.

Yanmar diesels show up in numerous colored tractors. My Branson A1000 (Cummins license) usees the Swirl as did larger engines of the series and my current LS uses the Yanmar. LS builds NH, how many models I don't know. I do know that some JD engines use it too but have no model reference handy. They are not newcomers to the badge circuit. If you go to the Kukje www, current builder of Branson tractors you will see green and orange and red and yellow sitting around. Other thing is that Yanmar tractors are not at the bottom of the pricing brackets. Expect to pay more.

/ First Tractor suggestions #10  
Buy large! You'll not regret going up a size, especially with your size. In all honesty, an older--maybe even 25 years or so, may be more comfortable for you. A buddy of mine, in your size range, just can't fit on most newer tractos.
Though I like HS, given your need to open up mucky soil, straight gear with a reverser does sound like the better option.
Though I agree with the thought on present-day JD machines and repairs, you might do well with an older green machine if you find a good one.
Be sure you shop for a dealer with a well-respected service department. THAT is a deal maker or a deal breaker.