First Tractor

/ First Tractor #11  
The B3200 is a great little tractor, even better when equipped with a backhoe.

Below are a couple of my threads that show some work I've done with mine:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/197254-road-building-compact-utility-tractor.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/215799-biggest-projects-youve-completed-your.html

With that said, I also have access to much larger tractors. If were to only have one tractor I might look at an L3200/3800 or a small Grand L (L3240/3540) for heavier work.

/ First Tractor #12  
As others have mentioned, adding a tooth bar can just be a dealer added option. If it was me, and there was even a small chance I could get stuck, I'd consider adding a winch large enough to get the tractor out of any trouble you get it in, but if memory serves me, you'd have to get a HD alternator and maybe a deep cycle battery for the B3200 in order to pull that off.

How thick are these slabs of wood? A B3200 with loaded tires, fel, and bh will be surprisingly heavy, and likely cause wood slabs to give up.

I've had my tractor stuck before, and I can tell you it's a pretty crappy feeling when you are off the beaten trail and may need to put someone else's equipment at risk to rescue you're stuff. The mention of blazing a trail around the bog is probably the best advice your going to get unless your independently wealthy and don't mind watching your gravel disappear.

/ First Tractor
Type of field work ie ground engagement like plowing, discing, but it doesn't appear you have a lot to do, so transmission geared vs HST isn't much of a consideration.

I have driven a lot of tractors from row cropping to working in the woods and there is no ideal tractor, but a lot will do a fine job.

I have looked at the B Series and while I like them, always found them either too big or too small. My initial impression is that I would want a more powerful, heavier tractor such as in the L/GL Series.

I won't own another tractor without position control 3PH and dragging or hauling logs, at least for me I like a larger, heavier piece of equipment. I would go with Ag tires or some use Industrial tires with chains when needed.

I am sure some other members with more experience can help you out. I am not saying the B3200 won't work for you, it just wouldn't be my choice.

Ah, I get it.

Our farming consists of a 20x50 plot, which my wife handles. She's been bugging me for another plot for corn, and we would love to plant some fruit trees and grape vines and stuff.

But I suspect mostly it's woods work, maybe some drainage trenches for water diversion.

If you've usually found the B series either too small or too large, and your impression is that I might want something bigger, than likely I shouldn't even think about something smaller, right?

My concern about bigger (besides the cost), is the manuverability in the woods.

Also, I see there's ongoing debate over the exact value of HST (or HST+) but from the little I've seen, it make using the tractor easier and I'll take anything that does that.

Thanks!

/ First Tractor
The B3200 is a great little tractor, even better when equipped with a backhoe.

Below are a couple of my threads that show some work I've done with mine:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/197254-road-building-compact-utility-tractor.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/215799-biggest-projects-youve-completed-your.html

With that said, I also have access to much larger tractors. If were to only have one tractor I might look at an L3200/3800 or a small Grand L (L3240/3540) for heavier work.

I am so blown away!

Both threads have fantastic pictures and stories.

So many people here have made such nice paths.

I would love to try my hand at that -- nicer (and additional) paths are one of my main goals. We have tremendously rocky ground, so I suspect they won't be as nice, but the idea of making them mostly flat and level would be a huge improvement.

/ First Tractor
As others have mentioned, adding a tooth bar can just be a dealer added option. If it was me, and there was even a small chance I could get stuck, I'd consider adding a winch large enough to get the tractor out of any trouble you get it in, but if memory serves me, you'd have to get a HD alternator and maybe a deep cycle battery for the B3200 in order to pull that off.

How thick are these slabs of wood? A B3200 with loaded tires, fel, and bh will be surprisingly heavy, and likely cause wood slabs to give up.

I've had my tractor stuck before, and I can tell you it's a pretty crappy feeling when you are off the beaten trail and may need to put someone else's equipment at risk to rescue you're stuff. The mention of blazing a trail around the bog is probably the best advice your going to get unless your independently wealthy and don't mind watching your gravel disappear.

Winsch makes sense to me, but between the winsch, the HD alternator and the deep cycle battery, sounds like we're talking big bucks -- probably about as much as it would cost to get me unstuck just once, I supposed.

The slabs a a few inches thick, but 9-12" wide (by 5-6' long by my cut). Yea, the first time over them will be a very tense trip.

The wet area spans the entire width of the property -- no way around, only though.

My understanding is that the slabs will prevent the gravel from disappearing.

/ First Tractor #16  
Ah, I get it.

Our farming consists of a 20x50 plot, which my wife handles. She's been bugging me for another plot for corn, and we would love to plant some fruit trees and grape vines and stuff.

But I suspect mostly it's woods work, maybe some drainage trenches for water diversion.

If you've usually found the B series either too small or too large, and your impression is that I might want something bigger, than likely I shouldn't even think about something smaller, right?

My concern about bigger (besides the cost), is the manuverability in the woods.

Also, I see there's ongoing debate over the exact value of HST (or HST+) but from the little I've seen, it make using the tractor easier and I'll take anything that does that.

Thanks!

It often gets down to personal preferences, past experience, time etc. I personally would not go smaller, but tractchores has and is very happy with his; came close to buying a B2920 once myself.

We have tractors from 23 to 85 HP. For years, I used a 32 HP Ford NAA in our woods and liked it. I then put a 72 HP Massey Ferguson 375 with FEL in there with 4WD and loved it. The amount of work by dragging much larger logs, pushing brush etc., was amazing.

I happened to be bush hogging on one of our farms yesterday with our M8540 when I came to a patch I had cut last year with our L5030. A large Autumn Olive was in my way. I dropped my bucket, put it in 4WD and uprooted it pushing it into a brush pile. This would have required a lot of digging with a smaller tractor or a chain saw.

I am not saying you need a big tractor to do what you plan, but sometimes extra weight and power even the difference say between a B3200 and L3540 or so on is going to come in handy.

I don't do much in the woods anymore as I am too old, so the guys who are still doing it can give you better advice than I.

/ First Tractor #17  
Re swampy area, I live in what is referred to as Swamp East Missouri as until the "Little River Drainage Project", we were mostly swamp and we discovered an old "corduroy road" on our property years ago.

Corduroy road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ First Tractor #18  
Is the B3200 manuverable enough for woods with trees pretty close to each other?

I have some lawn, but I won't be on it much and I'm much more interested in traction. That means getting the AG tires, right? Filled with what?

Wood chipper is interesting. I assume one just feeds it limb and out comes chips. That would be good to fill trail depressions, or to put on the cordoroy road.

Is a grapple the same thing as the backhoe thumb? Definitely need to grab things and move them.

Thanks!

You'll have to test drive it to confirm if its maneuverable enough, but my guess is probably. My B2920 is slightly smaller and is maneuverable enough to get through my woods. I do take off my Backhoe most of the time in the woods because it adds considerable length for turn arounds.

The chipper for me is the most useful implement. I've got a wallenstein bx42, that tractor would probably use the same. Search for it on Youtube to see videos. I find the chipper is good for clean-up, clearing and I've used the chips on some of my trails in the woods to provide a firm base or fill small holes. They eventually rot away, but its a nice way to make a temporary trail for access.

A grapple is different than a BH thumb. The BH thumb is nice as well. A grapple is on the front like a front end loader, but can grab things. They make combo buckets for the front end loader that are buckets and a grapple. Here's a thread with lots of grapple pictures: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2821856#post2821856

/ First Tractor
You'll have to test drive it to confirm if its maneuverable enough, but my guess is probably. My B2920 is slightly smaller and is maneuverable enough to get through my woods. I do take off my Backhoe most of the time in the woods because it adds considerable length for turn arounds.

The chipper for me is the most useful implement. I've got a wallenstein bx42, that tractor would probably use the same. Search for it on Youtube to see videos. I find the chipper is good for clean-up, clearing and I've used the chips on some of my trails in the woods to provide a firm base or fill small holes. They eventually rot away, but its a nice way to make a temporary trail for access.

A grapple is different than a BH thumb. The BH thumb is nice as well. A grapple is on the front like a front end loader, but can grab things. They make combo buckets for the front end loader that are buckets and a grapple. Here's a thread with lots of grapple pictures: Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... - Page 3 - TractorByNet.com

This must be old hat to everyone this board except me, but I suspect you could all relate: My reaction is "WOW! That's exactly what I need!"

But, I think I'd like to compromise and get a FEL-Grapple combo. Any recommendations?

And the BX42 chipper does indeed look great. not so much for the clean up and I've got plenty of woods to put stuff, but to generate the chips for various uses.

I understand about the BH adding length and taking away from manuverability, but I thought that the usefulness in the woods, and the help to get out of stuck spots, would offset the downside of the added length.

/ First Tractor
Re swampy area, I live in what is referred to as Swamp East Missouri as until the "Little River Drainage Project", we were mostly swamp and we discovered an old "corduroy road" on our property years ago.

Corduroy road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's one of the sites I found when researching these roads. Nice explanation of their history and how they work.

Was your discovered road underground? Wet? What condition?