Buying Advice First Tractor

/ First Tractor #21  
You a life long city slicker? How do you think farm kids learned? Sitting on the fender, or standing beside Dad...

Like I said, leave it up to the parents!! Their business , no one else's!!

Farm kids have higher rates of death, and serious injuries than kids in the suburbs....wonder why? What is there to "learn" about running a ZT? Seriously, any kid that needs to ride on daddy's knee on a ZT probably has bigger issues that would prevent them from safely operating power equipment.

/ First Tractor #22  
You a life long city slicker? How do you think farm kids learned? Sitting on the fender, or standing beside Dad...

Like I said, leave it up to the parents!! Their business , no one else's!!

Children hurt by lawn mowers: Predictable, preventable

One excerpt: "In the most recent case he treated, a 6-year-old boy lost a foot after he fell off a mower driven by a 10-year-old girl, he says. Often, he says, children are hurt while riding on an adult's lap, as in the Maryland case. "People remember doing that when they were kids and think it's OK," he says."

Lexington child who died in mower accident fell off while riding with father | Fayette County | Kentucky.com

"A 2-year-old child killed Wednesday in a lawn mower accident had been riding on the mower with her father and brother when she fell off, Fayette County Coroner Gary Ginn said."

You can find story, after story, like this in about 10 seconds on Google.....common theme.

Last edited:
   / First Tractor #23  
WilliamBos, You are plain wrong. It is somebody else's business - the kids involved.

I am a lifelong farm boy and I learned to use tractors and operate equipment when I was old enough. Due to the high number of fatalities and injuries in the UK involving kids there is a law there against kids using and travelling on ag machinery. I do not know if it applies to lawnmowers, but it does apply to quad bikes. People still flout the law and pay the penalty when accidents happen. The pain of losing a child can only be imagined by those of us to whom it has not happened, knowing it was your fault and then being prosecuted on top can only add to the pain, but I bet that those to whom it happens are "converts" and tell everybody they know of their experiences. It it saves one life or serious injury then it is all worth it.

/ First Tractor
This is getting alittle of topic. Where can I find reviews of the new Kubota zg127s-54 ?

/ First Tractor #25  
This is getting alittle of topic. Where can I find reviews of the new Kubota zg127s-54 ?
Good question. I can't find any reviews, just 1 youtube video on the showroom floor.

/ First Tractor #28  
Heck, that's nothing more than a sales pitch.

Well la te da. Go find it yourself then. Most if not all reviews are Sales pitches.

/ First Tractor #29  
I don't think it's off topic at all since you mentioned you have young kids and are talking about buying a riding mower. I don't want to hear about your kids being one of the statistics.

Wow! Someone on this very forum posts of not 1 but 2 serious accidents involving kids riding on mowers and you think it's nobody else's business but the parents. It would be interesting to hear what the parents of those kids had to say to other parents. Oh, that's right, it will never happen to me. If the kid is old enough and mature enough to be able to reach the controls, then they can drive it by themselves with proper instruction. Once they are good at driving, then maybe they could actually turn the blades on. I worked at a golf course and watched a grown woman stick her foot in the discharge shoot of a Yazoo while it was running to see how far the blades came out. Mangled her shoe but luckily didn't get her foot. Scared the bejesus out of her and the superintendent had a good talk with her about safety. If they wanted 2 people on a mower, they would have put 2 seats on it. How do think anyone learns how to operate a skid steer?

/ First Tractor #30  
Arc weld, You are totally correct - it is on topic. As you said the poster is looking at buying his/her first tractor (so obviously has limited experience) and has young kids. The thread is open for the whole world to read, and your comments are valid for many other people who will read it. I am sure that most people with limited experience, and some with a lot, will not have seen the damage that can be caused to people and property - particularly cars, with a stone, or even a stick, thrown out by a mower. There is always too the possibility of a blade, or part of it coming off. People absolutely must know this, and must remember it too. Nobody should be anywhere near someone cutting with a revolving blade mower. Yes, I know you see it all the time, but I am also aware of several grass cutting accidents that I became involved in after the event.