First tractor

/ First tractor #31  
Pete,
I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago before I bought my first tractor. On our property, I'm maintaining about 15 acres, but it is somewhat sloped. I was very skeptical about Tier VI engines. I'm ok with working on a used tractor. I'm a gear head too. I started researching and quickly realized used CUTs are hard to find in my area. So used was out. Also looking at my uses, I wanted 6' implements. A 6' medium duty brush cutter needs more than 25 PTO hp, so I had to accept a Tier IV engine. One of the reasons I choose the Branson was the Kukje/Cummins engine. It is an old design from Onan. It's IDI and the emissions are much simpler than other brands. It's more or less a catalytic converter. My first regen was at 167 hours. A valve on the exhaust closes and heats up the filter to burn off the soot. Some members here have been able to remove the emissions equipment on pre 2020 Bransons without issues. Engines with CRDI have a more complex emission system. Like others said, more weight is your friend. I would not have any concerns about an IDI engine and it's emissions equipment.

/ First tractor #32  
I love my LS.
And Branson is a good tractor with the Kukje engine. The Kukje engine is not a Cummins engine. Kukje was contracted by Cummins to manufacture engines. But they are not the same engine. But Kukje is a very good engine.

/ First tractor #33  
Hopping up a tractor is cool, but it only increases engine power. It does not increase weight or loader capacity. Or strengthen the drivetrain. There's not a lot of tasks that are limited by engine power alone.

Cooling is also problematic.

/ First tractor #34  
Cooling is also problematic.
What's the Member's name that added a turbo to his Kubota??? Remember?? He actually posted a LOT of very valuable information about that modification.

/ First tractor #35  
What's the Member's name that added a turbo to his Kubota??? Remember?? He actually posted a LOT of very valuable information about that modification.

There are several members that have successfully added a turbo to an L2501 without cooling issues.

There’s a good thread at Orange tractor talk forums discussing modifications specifically to the L2501, including turbocharging.

Mike

/ First tractor #36  
If you are slightly mechanically inclined you my want to consider an older used utility tractor or an industrial tractor. Don't know the models of anything but Massey but from the 60's would be a 135 @38 hp. 70's 230, 245, 240, note avoid the 235 poor steering gearbox, later is the 300 series. Haven't kept up for about the last 20 years. Industrial tractors 20, 20c, 30, 30c etc. The only thing on an industrial tractor especially if equipped with a hoe, be sure the tractor is equipped with a 3 point and pto. An industrial is equipped with heavier front axle, grill guard etc. They may or may not have a mechanical or hydraulic shuttle. the down fall is most are only 2wd but usually have diff lock.
Any would be a better tractor than a cut as they are built heavier and most even at 60-70 years old have parts readily available, probably will still outlast new cuts.

/ First tractor #37  
My tractor is the first and only one I will own. Not knowing much about tractors when I bought, and learning as I go, I have learned several facts about buying a first tractor.
1. DO NOT get a tractor that is too small for what you want to do.
2. Whatever you want on the tractor (remotes etc), it is best to get it when you purchase your tractor from the dealer.
3. Buy any brand YOU like, regardless of color. You are the one that has to live with your choice.
4. Weight matters. Make sure it is heavy enough to do what you want. CONSIDER ballast in the tires from the beginning.
5. Get a tractor with tires that match your intended use.
6. If you want implements, try to make some of them part of a package deal from the dealer when you buy the tractor. Usually cheaper.
7. I also believe, if you don't like the dealer, you probably soon won't like the tractor.
8. Remember, a tractor is like a computer. When someone asks What are you going to do with it" you may give them one answer, but it will need to do any task you come up with. Example - I use our tractor to lift the roof trusses to the top when I built the tractor shed.

I like to feel like my tractor is like my dog, one of my best friends. Best Wishes.

OH almost forgot, WELCOME to TBN.
I agree with this.

Also, if you need a backhoe it's usually easier and cheaper in the long run to rent one. Most tractors need to have frame stiffeners added to keep the weight of the backhoe from cracking the tractor in half, so thinking about adding one later is usually a really bad idea.

Get the most tractor you can afford, I was looking at 40HP and ended up buying a 60HP since the cost at the time wasn't that much different. I haven't regretted it.

Cabs are great if it's hotter than the blazes, and keeps the bees (and in my case Banana Spiders) off of you.

/ First tractor #39  
Greetings! I’ve been perusing this forum for the past few months as a guest and finally decided to create an account and dive right in.
First things first. I’ve never owned a tractor before
I’ve been reading and reading on what type of machine would be most suitable for my family
We are looking for something to help us with developing and maintaining 20 acres homestead
primary uses would be post hole digging, light road cutting, garden prep, pallet lifting of up to roughly 36” high to load onto my trailer, ground cleanup, building dirt bike trails and jumps, etc.
so id likely mostly use a loader, forks, backhoe, rake, blade, post hole (and maybe a tiller if it’s capable of doing such)

It seems I’ve cornered myself into two options.
the heaviest/largest 25hp tractor I can find OR a higher HP pre emission tractor. I have absolutely zero interest in owning a machine with modern diesel emissions. I understand that more power may help me work quicker. But I’m not a commercial operation seeking to maximize revenue. I have time. I think I’d rather be a bit under powered than undersized

I thought I had my mind set on the Kubota L2501 HST but I also sometimes do a bit of analysis paralysis and fortunately that let me to a handful of other options (initially I thought it was only the kubota vs the JD 3025)
it appears that the Kioti CK2610 might in fact be a bit larger/heavier than the Kubota with a larger hydraulic and lift capacity. The motor appears to be a larger detuned one as well. I’ve seen some talk about being able to open them up a bit to reach 33hp (I’m a gear head haha). I also like the location of the loader controls compared to the more forward controls of the Kubota.

we have both a Kubota and a kioti dealer within 40 miles of us. Not much else within that radius.
I don’t intend to make this a kioti vs Kubota thread. Just trying to provide as much info as I can.
am I being unrealistic in the expectations of a 25hp tractor on 20 acres? The land is flat.
I’m not against a larger pre-emission tractor. I just hesitate on that as I don’t really know what to look for and don’t want to buy a junker
Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hello, Mike. Welcome.

As is the case here on TBN, you're getting good info from all corners, and should be able to boil it down into making a good decision.

I'm only offering my 2 cents RE: possible backhoe. A lot of folks think of it only in terms of digging, but it can be invaluable when lifting and/or moving difficult items, especially when you get one that includes a thumb. There are mechanical ones and hydraulic ones; I got the latter on my '18 L3940. Amazingly, it was my wife who insisted we get a backhoe since we were springing the bucks for a tractor anyway, and then I researched and added the thumb. The ability to not only lift but grasp is now something I rely on constantly, and find myself using it in various ways I'd never thought of before. And besides heavy stuff, I use it to harvest carrots, potatoes, etc. with a now-experienced gentle touch; great since wifey and me gave up manually digging whenever possible.

That's the hoe upside, and also you don't need to weight rear tires for heavy FEL work with the big hand back there, and the outriggers come in handy for stabilization on some fixed operations. The downside is that I have to remove it every year, [only got one tractor], to attach the reverse-rotation tiller, and then swap them again end of tilling season. But for my money, that hoe with the foot-actuated hydraulic thumb is some of the best money I ever spent.

Good luck! ~Lefty