First tractor

/ First tractor #1  

Newbie2024

Tractor
Na
Doing research for purchasing first tractor. I am a 54 yr old home builder homesteading 3 acres of mountain property. Gotten into 4th yr here in 2024 and property needs a tractor to progress. Have about 20 trees already felled, a sawmill waiting to accept them. There are also trenches that need to be dug, some possibly 300ft long along with dropping more trees continuing clearing to build rental cabins. Probably can only afford an under 40hp tractor. Figure i need loader, grapple attachment, backhoe and probably log splitter attachment. I am in Maine and have choice of manufacturers, for the most part, within 2 hours. I say first tractor but i had a1970 case 530 ck with a poor transmission. Could not get that tractor up the mountain. Because of the poor tranny could not back up, it barely would move forward after a couple months of work. Through that experiment i know i need 4wd. Any import from experienced owners in quality and pricing of manufacturers like jd, mf, bad boy, Kubota or any other suggestions. Thank you for reading this far.
Marc~

/ First tractor #2  
Welcome to TBN.
Lots good info over the years on what your seeking...try Search button.

/ First tractor #3  
New or used? A new 40hp loader tractor with backhoe and grapple would likely be in the $60-75k range off the top of my head. Shopping used requires more legwork, risk, and being prepared to make a fast cash offer.
There are deals to be had in the used tractor market, but I get the impression after your Case experience you're not wanting an older beat up machine that requires a lot of work.
My personal preference for manufacturers is Kubota, as I have had an excellent experience with several tractors and commercial mowers over the past 25 years.

Last edited:
   / First tractor #4  
Welcome to TBN! you will find a lot of good information here. Given your property is woods and maybe rocks and stumps you might want to invest in a Tractor with a loader, and grapple, and a mini Excavator combination. The mini does the stumping and ditch digging and the tractor the hauling grading and cleanup. Go with lightly used machines (under 3-400 hrs for tractor, or 2000hrs for mini ex) and you can get a lot more for your $.

You could get by with say a 25hp tractor/loader and 6-8K excavator and get a lot done. If you want to get an all in one TLB there are a number of them on Facebook Marketplace in Maine - here is an example of a Kioti 35 HP - Log into Facebook

And a mini ex Log into Facebook

You will do well with all the major brands Kubota, Kioti, Yanmar, Mahindra, etc.

I would say if you can only get one machine get a Kubota TLB Series - L35, L45, L47 - they are built for construction and more rugged than the bh attached to a tractor.

/ First tractor #5  
We live in the mountains and have had a dozen tractors through the years.

I'd start by going to several dealers and driving their tractors. Then do the same for a few that are for sale privately. By then, you will know enough to make a better decision.

New tractors are way overpriced, and since 2014 are crippled by emissions equipment.

If I were buying today, I'd be looking for a well-maintained used tractor in nice cosmetic condition with under 1000 hours and less than 25 years old. The most important thing is how it has been used. A lot of old tractors are just beat up....but there are still plenty which are not. A old tractor that has been used right will last you a lifetime if you do the same. OTOH, I absolutely would not take any tractor that has been beat or abused no matter what the price. And that goes double for ex-rentals.

You will know the right one when you see it. It will have good original paint, few dents, 4wd, a front end loader whose bucket is straight, a decent seat, an independent PTO, and a 3pt hitch that goes up and down smoothly. It will start easily on a cold morning even if it does sputter and run rough for a minute.

Expect that you will have to put new tires on it. At least I always have.

/ First tractor #6  
So you are homesteading 3 acres and going to put rental cabins on the same acreage? Seems like it would get crowded real quick.

/ First tractor #7  
I have a John Deere 3038E on my 13 acres (coupled with my late '60s Ford 4000) and I use the Deere for almost everything. I haven't come across a job I haven't been able to tackle with it (even using a 6ft. tiller for garden). The only thing about Deere is the premium price tag on them.

My neighbor uses a Kioti CK2620 hydrostatic and he seems to like it pretty well. I think he was able to get that one new for significantly cheaper than my Deere, but at the cost of some HP.

I have a buddy that uses a Mahindra and he's had a few issues with it (granted, he probably doesn't treat it as well as he should).

I've never heard anyone (besides folks online) complain about their Kubota B-series tractors.

What I'm getting at is all in all, a subcompact is probably more than sufficient for 3 acres. Newer tractors will have the regen junk and that's just a headache you have to accept with the purchase of a "new" tractor, and their really aren't any (that I know of) that are extremely reasonably priced. You're looking into at least 20k, most likely no matter what brand you go with. At least that's the prices I was getting when I was looking here locally in East Texas.

Might look into something used if that price tag is too hefty for your needs.

/ First tractor #8  
So you are homesteading 3 acres and going to put rental cabins on the same acreage? Seems like it would get crowded real quick.
Is raising crops still part of "homesteading? That's a lot of work.

/ First tractor #9  
My only suggestion is, avoid sites like FB Marketplace and CL and get on TractorHouse and look at used tractors. I've dealt with them numerous times both buying and selling equipment and every time it's been seamless and whatever you do, make sure there is a local dealer handy for whatever brand you decide on because at some point, you will need them and a good dealer close by makes all the difference.

Nice thing about Tractor House is they can deliver a unit for a competitive price as well

/ First tractor #10  
I went with the Kioti CK2610, but also looked at Massey MF1526, RK25, TYM 2515, and Mahindra (similar side, don't know model). I ruled out Mahindra, as it was $$$$. I ruled out TYM T25/RK25, as I wanted 3 speed HST, and more weighr/size. The Massey 1526 was very nice, but a quarter size too small. Came down to Kioti vs TYM 2515, and was able to examine at same dealer, and bottom line; the Kioti was like $1500 less money, had a nicer seat, and orange looked better.

So far, no regrets, but if I had more money, I would have bought a Massey 1860M powershuttle.

I did passingly look at the L2501 Kubota, and didn't consider the JD. I had LS recommended, but that dealer went under. Yanmar, I've used, but with the two speed HST, it had super low and gutless as choices (don't remember model)