Fishing for Deer, what lb test?

/ Fishing for Deer, what lb test? #11  
Hey all:

this is what works for me, I used (last year) some WHITE high visablilty string, not fishing line, as I figured deer already KNOW what a electric fence is and it worked like a charm, maybe ONE time I had deer in ther garden AFTER stringing one lenght ~4' high around the garden. prior to that they wipped out several rows of veggies... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif anyhow it was knocked down once after installing it and it was simply cotton chaulk/block layers string. the High Vis white was due to having enough yard light to make it shine. they SEE it and know better to stay away as the hole area haselec fences around all the pastures.

MarkM

/ Fishing for Deer, what lb test?
I just wanted to update the latest on this. I purchased a battery powered electric fence controler....but it still sits in it's box.

My small garden that is loaded with beans now is protected with only a few strands of 14lb test monfilament. Deer love beans...but so far this has worked. I have a large buck that is bedding down right by our house...so I know he stays close. We came face to face the other day when I was taking my garbage out.

My 2nd garden spot in the back field has to strands of 50lb test on 4 foot plastic poles. It is highly visable. At first it worked, and I could even see where it spooked the deer. Lately however, the deer jump it and have been sampling my sweet potato tops and some corn tops.

Last night I tried another experiment. I have stretched one 14 lb line about 6-8 feet out from my 50lb test line. It is streched tight, and hard to see. I figure the deer will be looking and knowing about the 50lb fence...and when they fell the 14lb line, it will spook them. I am holding out on the electric fence until this fails.

At this point, my conclusion is that 14lb works better than 50lb test. We'll see how this latest test works.

sassafraspete