Fixing a New Holland weld

/ Fixing a New Holland weld #1  

OFarrell

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 60
How would fix this busted weld? This is the loader support bracket on a New Holland Workmaster 60. I think it's been broken for a while but I never noticed it.

I was thinking remove the loader and pull the bracket off the tractor frame so I don't have to weld upside down. I'll be using an old 200 amp Lincoln with .035 ER70S-6 wire and 75/25 argon.

Attachments

• 20230821_181124.jpg
    20230821_181124.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 186
  • 20230821_213235.jpg
    20230821_213235.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 184
   / Fixing a New Holland weld #2  
It might be worth a trip to the local welding/fab shop with a "heavier" welder, especially for this major load area. The last thing you want is to do this again. Oh, and I suck at vertical and overhead also. 😆

/ Fixing a New Holland weld #3  
I would clean it up and tack it really good while still mounted. Then remove for welding up solid. Slow and steady is the key here.

/ Fixing a New Holland weld #5  
Go for it. Grind it out, crank up your welder and make a few passes. It’s not a critical joint, keep an eye on it and address it if it cracks again. Looks like the original weld didn’t have any penitration.

/ Fixing a New Holland weld #6  
I take this "loader support bracket" as the mounting of the loader "tower". If it is, that's as critical as it gets on a FEL. It'll make a huge mess of the bracketry if one side lets go and probably involve sheet metal and more.

/ Fixing a New Holland weld #8  
No reason why you can't MIG weld it. Like others said tack it before removing, clean it up real good, turn it up to get good penetration and go slow. Take a good pause on the left and right sides of your bead. The main thing is penetration. A few passes over-lapping about 50% want hurt. I would also look at the other side and make sure it has good penetration. If you don't like the what you see you can always take it to a shop or have someone weld it in place. Good luck!

/ Fixing a New Holland weld #9  
No reason why you can't MIG weld it.
Biggest downside to MIG is lack of penetration with the machines commonly used by hobbyists/part time welders. A MIG machine that'll do that right costs $2000+ used. A stick machine that'll do it costs less than $500.

/ Fixing a New Holland weld #10  
You are 100% correct and I agree. He referenced he was using a 200amp machine.