Fixing my lawn - Best Attachment

/ Fixing my lawn - Best Attachment #1  

Roxburyeric

Tractor
2011 Kioti CK20S HST TLB, JD 1939 Model L, Cub Cadet 2135 Lawn Mower
I have about a half acre of lawn that needs some help. There is current a mix of grass and weeds and not enough top soil. I currently have a Kioti CK20HST with loader and backhoe. I am trying to determine if I can fix the lawn and if so what attachment/method would be best. I was thinking a tiller could be used to till the yard and then replant new grass seed, while also adding in more top soil. Will a tiller chew up the current grass enough leaving a smooth soil base or will there be grass/root chunks everywhere? Also thought of just spreading alot of top soil on top and replanting the grass. I did this is another section and it worked ok but alot of hand raking was needed after spreading with the loader bucket. Maybe do it this way but get a landscape rake to spread the new top soil and rake it out? Any other thoughts or ideas. I can hire someone to do it, but I thought I could use the money to buy a new attachment (toy) instead. Help? Thanks in advance. Eric

/ Fixing my lawn - Best Attachment #2  
You might start by getting a good soil analysis to determine what is needed to grow a nice lawn. If you have rocks beneath the surface you may be better off spreading topsoil instead of tilling. I do till most of the lawns I rework and add amendments so that this is all mixed in. A chain harrow pulled behind your tractor should help smooth up your lawn area and feel it will do a better job than the more costly landscape rake. When adding top soil I typically back up dribbling out the dirt as evenly as I can then will pull forward again and back drag the dirt smooth. I also use landplane grader blades to smooth up lawn areas with very good results.

/ Fixing my lawn - Best Attachment #3  
you may want to look at the "Super Turf Renovator" at D.H. Marvin in Colchester, CT. http://www.dhmarvin.com/dh-marvin-rentals.html. it rents for $160 for the 1st. day, and $120/day thereafter. I was going to rent it last fall, but they said my JD 2210 was too small to pull it. perhaps your Kioto will do it.

I top dressed and filled some low spots with topsoil and used a small overseeder, making two passes one lengthwise and one across. I fertilized with a starter fertilizer and with a fall blend fertilizer 3 weeks later. My lawn is still green! As soon as the Forsythias begin to bloom, I'll apply a pre-emergent weed & feed.

Fall is the best time to seed as the new grass doesn't have to compete with weeds and you can't apply weed killer for at least 4weeks after seeding or you kill the new grass.

/ Fixing my lawn - Best Attachment
Thanks for the advice. I will be getting the soil test done and will add what is needed. I looked at Chain Harows at Everything Attachments and the prices seem crazy high for what your are getting. Almost the same as a rake??? Looking at those rentals the tiller is the same rate, so wondering if that might be better?

/ Fixing my lawn - Best Attachment #5  
Thanks for the advice. I will be getting the soil test done and will add what is needed. I looked at Chain Harows at Everything Attachments and the prices seem crazy high for what your are getting. Almost the same as a rake??? Looking at those rentals the tiller is the same rate, so wondering if that might be better?

I think of tilling as starting from scratch, only if the present lawn is unsalvageable. I think I would try the chain harrow and some added topsoil if the turf renovator is not adequate. I think Tractor Supply had a 4x4 harrow for around $200, I almost bought one but decided that it would tear up the lawn more than I wanted. I went with the overseeder which worked well, but was a backbreaker for a 69 year old like myself ( I did my neighbor's 1/2 acre yard also).

/ Fixing my lawn - Best Attachment #6  
If your yard is as you say, full of weeds and some grass, I think a tiller would be the ticket. A tiller will tear up any thatch that is there quite well. It may require more than one pass, but you can add topsoil, lime, fertilizer etc and then till it all in to mix it well. The back gate on the tiller can be left down so it drags the dirt smooth.
Reseeding afterward then dragging a tined type drag over it to lightly cover the seeds might be required. Depending on the size of the yard, a light rake by hand may be all that is needed.

/ Fixing my lawn - Best Attachment #7  
I did this on a big section of scrubby brush and then also redid a section of grass. I tilled the scrub section after spraying it with roundup to kill the weeds. I then smoothed it out with a lawn roller and rake then seeded and it came back great, thick grass and level. It probably would have done better if I put loam with compost to add to the top soil (without compost it usually has weed seeds in it).

The other sections I did with spreading loam with the FEL over an existing grass / weed lawn. That only did so/so as the new soil and old soil were not well mixed and water did not go uniformly through both. I think the right way to do it is to probably spread the top soil with compost, then till it to mix it together with the top 6" of existing soil and then level it with a rake or FEL. If you can rent one a Harley rake will do the tilling, leveling and rock removal all at once and save a lot of labor.

/ Fixing my lawn - Best Attachment #8  
Knowing whether you have a lot of rocks near the surface would help us make the best suggestions. If the rocks are not a big issue then tilling and mixing in the right amendments can really help. If you can till it deep enough it does make it easier to wind up with a smooth lawn since you can move the dirt around as needed.

Tilling and smoothing with a landplane grader blade, harrowing and broadcasting the seed worked well for me in my lawn project.

Attachments

• house 002.jpg
    house 002.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 196
   / Fixing my lawn - Best Attachment #9  
I would start the process by killing everything growing on the section you want to plant. I'm not a big fan of weed killers, but tilling alone won't get rid of the weeds and grasses, at least that has been my experience.

/ Fixing my lawn - Best Attachment #10  
I would start the process by killing everything growing on the section you want to plant. I'm not a big fan of weed killers, but tilling alone won't get rid of the weeds and grasses, at least that has been my experience.
The problem with this approach is that weedkiller only kills the growing weeds and not the seeds. THis is the same thing tilling does. Without some sort of pre-emergence application that prevents the weed seed from germinating, you will do the same thing by tilling only. Starting with dead vegetation will make it till up easier, but just making a few more passes with the tiller will accomplish the same thing as applying expensive weed killer