Flail Mower Brands

/ Flail Mower Brands #11  
Ok guys, each to his/her own. Sounds like you finish cut dry grass in ballparks and/or driving ranges. My input is based upon all-weather pasture and roadside maintenance using the same 74" Ford 917H behind a previous 3600# geared tractor w/45 PTO hp, and my current JD3720 eHydro w/35 PTO hp. The John Deere struggles when I hit high/wet grass, especially uphill. Just can't see a little B3200 handling something like that big, particularly on hillsides and pond/ditch banks. Hence my recommendation regarding the lightest offset Gearmore that has a swath that will cut his track width track plus a little right offset

Last edited:
   / Flail Mower Brands #12  
Old thread, for sure. But interesting. I run a Vrisimo 48" flail from the back of my Kubota B2920 tractor. This is an old C-148 Mighty Max which is heavily built and weighs close to 600lbs. I use the machine to mow steep sidehills at a capped landfill twice a year. The mower does well, as does the tractor. Plenty of power to operate the mower and tractor in this steep environment.

This year, for the same job, I am looking to buy a Peruzzo Fox 60" flail mower. It appears to weigh only 430lbs (lighter build quality?) but I think that could be a benefit on my small tractor. For this season I've also added 2" spacers on both rear wheels and ballasted the rear tires with the beet juice mix.

I'm amazed at the amount of work these small Kubotas can perform.

/ Flail Mower Brands #13  
hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if my questions have been answered previously. I live in western north carolina and I own a mountainous property up to the ridge line. I'd like to maintain my logging roads for trails, but I also have about 30 acres of pasture that id like to be able to keep up with as necessary. Ive been considering a flail mower to keep the forest at bay as well as for use on the farm. Id use it to mulch cover crop too.

Anyway I have a Kubota mx5200, and id like a flail mower that atleast has side shift. preferably id like to be able to mow embankments so i think that it would be best if i could get a mower that i could easily change the angle of the cut to fit a hillside. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

/ Flail Mower Brands #14  
hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if my questions have been answered previously. I live in western north carolina and I own a mountainous property up to the ridge line. I'd like to maintain my logging roads for trails, but I also have about 30 acres of pasture that id like to be able to keep up with as necessary. Ive been considering a flail mower to keep the forest at bay as well as for use on the farm. Id use it to mulch cover crop too.

Anyway I have a Kubota mx5200, and id like a flail mower that atleast has side shift. preferably id like to be able to mow embankments so i think that it would be best if i could get a mower that i could easily change the angle of the cut to fit a hillside. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Welcome to TBN! There are a lot of choices out there for flails. I guess a good starting point is how much do you want to spend?

/ Flail Mower Brands #15  
Welcome to the forum;

The first thing I strongly suggest that you do is visit the flail mower thread on the forum and read the entire thread so you will become well versed about flail mowers and have a good understanding of how they work and what they can do and in the process become an informed consumer of information with regard to this implement.

Mowing embankments with a mule like yours and flail mowers becomes an issue of being able to widen the rear and front wheels and making sure that you re not traveling along an embankment slope greater than 15 degrees.

You need a slope meter if you expect to do any mowing like that and it is a good investment in any case.

To manage a mowing job with as much acreage as you say you have requires power, time and more time and that allows you to knock it down to a 2 inch height to 1. maintain a highly efficient rate of mowing and also enable you to knock down invasive weeds more effectively.

Mowing a large expanse of ground requires you to position your mule in the center of the plot and mow in a spiral and mowing outward which allows you to 1. save on fuel brakes and time as there is no backing up and turning around until you have to mow the sweeps at the corners of the plot(s).Mowing the sweeps at the corners of the plots becomes a real time eater when the brush is high as you have no idea what is there since you mowed last or whether there is a deer bed in that corner.

The other issue is mower size as too big a flail mower will be a fuel hog until you have the sod down to a 2 inch cutting height and you can move along fairly well as a hydrostatic transmission mule will eat up lots of power UNLESS you invest in a smaller flail mower that is mounted on a boom.

Buying a three point hitch mounted boom mounted flail mower will let you mow embankments to a certain width and require you to practice mowing and also maintain your patience level as the great majority of boom mounted flail mowers have forged scoop knives and will only cut the brush once and not recut it to shred it further.

The main thing you have to understand and be aware of in any case is that 1. a flail mower will provide you with an excellent cut down to 2 inches. 2. it takes a long time to knock down and shred tall brush requiring you to be more aware of the radiator screens plugging and 3. the air cleaner tattle tale indicator lies like a rug as they will stick open and the recommended service interval for air filters is not to be paid attention to UNLESS you have all your mowing down to the 2 inch height of cut.

If you have both deep sloping ditches and accessable tall road banks to mow-not short ones from logging cuts or asphalt road edges.
A boom mounted Orchard and Vineyard Flail Mower will work well ONCE you have become more comfortable with moving the boom in and out, extending the mowing head and lowering it into the ditch to mow.
YOU have to have liquid ballast in the tires for a boom mower to work well for you and front weights to maintain a low center of gravity as well.

First, measure how much bank mowing you want to do and then decide if you really want a boom mounted Orchard and Vineyard Flail Mower and then decide if you have enough work for it to do as it can also be used in an upright position to clear brush back along lane ways and trails with the mowers frame extended outward.

If you have more questions which I know you will have you are welcome to send me a private message or post it here on the forum.

Last edited:
   / Flail Mower Brands #16  
Boom mower: Boom Mowers - Bush Hog
Ditch bank mower: Nova Tractor BCRI middle duty ditch bank mower

You need a heavy tractor to run a boom mower because it can extend so far out from the tractor. Only the smallest boom mowers will be light enough for your tractor. The ditch bank mower only extends one mower width past the tractor. Because of the weight and being hydraulic powered the boom mower will be smaller than the ditch bank mower you can run on the same tractor. The ditch bank mower will be ok for mowing flat areas. The boom mower is not designed for that and would be frustrating to mow 30 acres with. Our county uses large 100hp+ tractors with boom mowers to clear along our very mountainous roads with steep uneven banks. A ditch bank mower would not be able to handle the terrain. They use cab tractors. Boom mower manufacturers recommend cabs to protect the operator from flying debris.