Mowing flail mower

/ flail mower #1  

tonyw

Gold Member
Tractor
YM1401d
I know, I know, I should be posting this to the Implements/Attachments forum, but I was wondering if any Yanmar owners use flail mowers. I have a 1401d, so I would need something small. I've heard they are a good multi-purpose mower, making a smoother cut than a rotary/brush mower.

I'm attaching a picture of one with a grass catcher.
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 298719-Mt10ri_g.jpg
    298719-Mt10ri_g.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 897
   / flail mower #2  
What type of mower is that you've got pictured?

I'd bet those are in the 2K + range? What type property are you mowing general conditions?

/ flail mower
It's a Muratori(Italian made). I own a Muratori tiller, so I came across the flail mowers in their literature....
I would like to mow a rather large back yard and a field we use for growing cut-flowers we sell wholesale. We use Dutch clover as a groundcover between our rows and need something more substantial than our 16 hp Craftsman mower to do the job. My understanding is that flail mowers can mow a little of everything(up to 1" in diameter) and still make a clean cut on a lawn, but I've never known anyone who has any experience with them.
Here's a link to the website--I think the flail mowers are listed under "shredders" in the product menu.

Thanks

Tony
Muratori

/ flail mower #4  
Tony, I live in an orchard area in Northern California. 95% of the mowers used in these orchards are flails. They are safer, have a great mow quality, and are less unwieldy than a rotary. The down side is that they are more expensive and more complicated. I sell flail, roatary and finish mowers, but my personal machine has a flail on it.

/ flail mower
Thanks, Dave! You use one, so I'm guessing you might be able to recommend a brand?! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
You said they're more complicated than a rotary mower... not too complicated though, I hope?
Too bad you're on the other coast, or I'd pay you a visit for a demonstration! Thanks again!

/ flail mower #6  
I think that is what brand my finishing mower is.. it was some m italian name.. I just wondering what $$ is in that contraption?

/ flail mower #7  
Tony, flails vary from light duty grass only mowers to heavy hammer swinging monsters that will shred 4" trees and brush. Even within the same flail line you will find different types of blades and rotors, gear boxes, belt types, etc. Your best bet is to get to a dealer that has a few models and try them.

We like Dandle and Vrismo for medium duty cutting. They are able to stand up to regular commercial use mowing orchards. Gearmore has a nice selection also.

I mowed 7.5 acres yesterday with a 74" Caroni flail in 3 hours with a Branson 2810. I am pleased with the Caroni's, they are a good quality medium duty unit.

I can't say that I have a favorite. Any of the above are good machines. There are several other really good brands as well, but the ones above are units that I have used and like.

/ flail mower
shady1701, I have no idea of prices...that was going to be my next question. I'm going to look at some this Friday though...hoping they aren't more $$ than my tractor!

/ flail mower
Thanks, Dave!!! I appreciate the info. I know you can't give exact pricing, but what are the price ranges on these mowers--the smaller ones anyway? Thanks again!

/ flail mower #10  
Generally, small lighter duty flails start at around $1500-$2000 and go up from there.