Flail size for MT225s

/ Flail size for MT225s #1  

dustin3207

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1602D
What size flail mower are you all using?
I talked to a betstco salesman and he strongly suggested going with a EFGC125(48”), but my bucket is a 54”, so I wouldn’t be able to mow next to any long obstacles.

/ Flail size for MT225s #3  
The rule of thumb for PTO driven implements is 5 PTO HP per 1ft of implement width. But its just that, a rule of thumb. Example: My PTO is 38.7 call it 39 HP. Keep in mind, that is the PTO HP, not the engine. 39 divided by 5 = 7.8. So, according the rule, I can easily run any implement that is almost 8ft wide. And thats not happening. Maybe an implement that is not ground engagement, like a rotary cutter. But even then, my 6ft wide rotary cutter bogs down, especially in heavy brush or grass. Forget an 8ft wide rototiller! But, thats the rule, apparently. A rule I have seldom followed.

Here is what I do follow when selecting an implement: It must cover the tracks of the tractor. It must be close to what the manufacture recommends.

Taking a look at the specs for the both your tractor and the mower your salesman recommended, here is what I learned:

Your tractor width is 49in wide - mower working width is 48in (an inch short)
Your tractor can lift 1900lbs - mower weighs 600 - so it can lift it, but you will feel it.
Your PTO HP is 19 - mower requires 22-65hp (not enough tractor)

In conclusion, you don't have enough tractor. It's a shade too wide (especially if you have a mower deck on it, or your bucket). But the big thing is your PTO HP. This mower is designed to mulch down brush, sticks, etc. It comes with hammer blades which is designed to beat down and break up anything an inch above the dirt. While it is smaller, your tractor is not much better than a large ride on lawn mower. I don't mean to discourage you, but I think you would be better suited to find an alternative solution to mowing whatever it is your planning on mowing. Maybe a rotary mower is better for your application? Alternatively, you maybe good. Your tractor might handle this mower easily if you stay out of heavy brush. Thats for you to decide.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on what you purchase and your results.