Flail versus rotary

/ Flail versus rotary #22  
Ray ,what sizes would you consider?

Brian:
6-ft would be enough to cover the 5525's track and judging by the info I have, a 6-footer would be a good match to the 45 pto hp that I have with the 5525.

/ Flail versus rotary #23  
Brian:
6-ft would be enough to cover the 5525's track and judging by the info I have, a 6-footer would be a good match to the 45 pto hp that I have with the 5525.

There is a 72" Verismo right now, but he wants $1850. :eek: Does Dave know that you are looking for one? I will keep my eyes open for a deal.

/ Flail versus rotary #24  
There is a 72" Verismo right now, but he wants $1850. :eek: Does Dave know that you are looking for one? I will keep my eyes open for a deal.

I mentioned to Dave that I'm interested in a flail if he gets a line on one.

/ Flail versus rotary #25  
Brian-thanks for the info.

I'll have to enlarge my present 250 mile craigslist search radius to include SoCal to find one of these neat flails. The ones that I generally find up here (usually along Hwy 99 with a for sale sign attached) are the 8ft and up monsters that have been used for decades in the orchards and are pretty well ready for the scrap heap.

I only find 6-7 footers that look like scrap metal.
Excuse me while I issue myself another beating for not buying that JD Flail for $1,000:ashamed:

/ Flail versus rotary #26  
I only find 6-7 footers that look like scrap metal.
Excuse me while I issue myself another beating for not buying that JD Flail for $1,000:ashamed:

I did a similar thing with an 8' JD tiller for 1k. Thought that I would let the guy sit on it awhile longer and then offer $850 or $900. It had been for sale over a week. I waited too long and it got sold. Good thing that I didn't really need it, just wanted it. :eek:

/ Flail versus rotary #27  
Does anyone find it astounding how much the price for implements jumps when you go from 6 feet to 8 feet wide? The price seems to at least double.....for 2 more feet of width. :(

/ Flail versus rotary #28  
Does anyone find it astounding how much the price for implements jumps when you go from 6 feet to 8 feet wide? The price seems to at least double.....for 2 more feet of width. :(

All of those wider implements seem to be made much heavier duty. The gearboxes are more stout, the framing is much heftier, the bearings and driveshafts are larger.

As an extreme example, a one foot wide flail mower would not require nearly the structural and mechanical strength of a 12 foot flail mower.

It is like comparing a Cat 1 implement to a Cat 2. Since you have a Cat 2 tractor you might be interested in researching the Cat 2 implement prices. Yikes.

/ Flail versus rotary #29  
All of those wider implements seem to be made much heavier duty. The gearboxes are more stout, the framing is much heftier, the bearings and driveshafts are larger.

As an extreme example, a one foot wide flail mower would not require nearly the structural and mechanical strength of a 12 foot flail mower.

It is like comparing a Cat 1 implement to a Cat 2. Since you have a Cat 2 tractor you might be interested in researching the Cat 2 implement prices. Yikes.

That's what I mean. Most of my stuff has Cat 1 or 2 hookups.