Flail vs Rotary

/ Flail vs Rotary #1  

Acolar

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3520 eHydro, Cab
Ok, guys your advice has always been right on in the past. Now have another question. I have a opportunity to cut about 20 empty 1 acre lots in our sub division. They have not been cut for about 2-3 years as developer has gone belly up. I have a 72D MMM now but so not want to expose it to all the potential residual building materials hidden by the tall (> 2 foot) weeds on the lots - pieces of bricks, 2x4's, concrete, etc.

Since I canont use a flame thrower or Agent Orange, which is a better choice
a pull behind flail mower or a rotary mower?

Which brand?

Very rough uneven terrian with potential for left over construction debris hidden in the tall weeds/grass. No small trees or bushed, just tall weeds.

Thanks.

/ Flail vs Rotary #2  
From what I've read on this site, and obviously I'm not speaking for everyone, but so you don't go throwing debris around and possibly hitting a neighbors house would be to use a flail mower. If need be back into some areas where you feel like you might run in to something big that you couldn't or wouldn't want to drive over. Several are running a Caroni, I believe purchased through Agri Supply but would need to check back in the posts. The Caroni's are about half the price of other brands.

/ Flail vs Rotary #3  
Go with a Bush Hog Rotary Mower...I run a model #12 it cannot be stopped....great for splitting large rocks in half too:D

/ Flail vs Rotary #4  
Rotary with chains front and rear and a slip clutch.

D.

/ Flail vs Rotary #5  
I'd recommend a flail as long a any trees that have grown up are less than 2 inches in diameter.

Less damage potential. Doesn't throw material. Etc...

/ Flail vs Rotary
Anyone know the difference between a Frontier RC1072 vs a RC2072?

I was told the 1072 is an older rotary cutter and the 2072 is current

/ Flail vs Rotary #7  
I'd recommend a flail as long a any trees that have grown up are less than 2 inches in diameter.

Less damage potential. Doesn't throw material. Etc...

From my use of both types, totally agree. Since you can not use agent orange how about roundup or a generic? That what I did for a small subdivision. Then that is what they asked for.

/ Flail vs Rotary #8  
Frontier 1072 or 2072 - from the literature and looking at actual units, I cannot tell any difference; looks like just a model number change. These are pretty decent mowers.

I just picked up a very slightly used MX5 and used it last evening for the 1st time. This is an excellent mower; and yes it can break some pretty big rocks without hurting it much (just a little nick in the blade and LOTS of loud noise!)

I do quite a bit of backing when I mow larger brush; however, I would not want to try to mow 20 acres in reverse ;)

You could try mowing forward with your loader bucket set just a couple inches above the ground to give you a little advance warning of objects in the grass. I would recommend not trying to cut too short the 1st pass if you are worried about bricks and blocks and very large hunks of wood.

/ Flail vs Rotary #9  
I've never owned a flail, but for what we call shredding here in West Texas, my MX 6 chews about anything up. Has chains, but it still manages to throw some fast balls.

The poster who mentioned running the bucket of the FEL low to the ground has it pegged. You can really save some grief by doing that.