Flat tire from 22LR case?

/ Flat tire from 22LR case? #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
As a kid, I was told to always pick up every 22 case so it wouldn't punch a hole in a tire. This would have been before tubeless tires. I still tend to do this, more for a good cleanup than to prevent a flat.

Has anyone ever had a flat tire caused by a rimfire case punching a hole in a tire of any type?

Bruce

/ Flat tire from 22LR case? #2  
I'm thinking that's really unlikely as even if the case gets run over end on at just the right angle it's so flimsy that I just can't see it coring a vehicle tire.
However, I imagine it has happened at least once as stranger things have surely happened. Growing up my dad ran over a jackrabbit with me in the car and got a flat tire -sure enough we pulled a bone splinter complete with traces of blood out of that tire. Presumably the femur angled in to the tire at just the wrong angle. Out of the 100s of rabbits we hit over the years on that country road we won the lottery that night in the wrong way

/ Flat tire from 22LR case? #3  
Not from a 22 rim fire, but more than one from deer antlers and more than one from barb-wire (or “bob-wire”) as they say in these parts.

/ Flat tire from 22LR case? #4  
I always straddle or avoid dead animals on road for this reason. I've heard this from a tire shop and from a person I worked with, who had it happen, about animal bones going through tires.

/ Flat tire from 22LR case? #5  
I cannot imaging a 22 rim fire cartridge making a hole in one of today's tires. Some of the old tires back in the 50's though i could. Animal bones are different - you never know how they are broken and splintered plus they are held by the flesh at angles that point the sharp ends radially into the tire. I have seen a few flats caused by them.

/ Flat tire from 22LR case? #6  
about 3 months ago I had a flat on my old F150. The tires were worn..maybe had another 5-6K left on them ..so tread was thin.. I found what liked like a hollow piece of brass in the tire that caused the leak. It was maybe 1/16-1/8 x 3/8 long.. Very similar to a 22 casing.

/ Flat tire from 22LR case? #7  
Don't know about .22 casing but my wife got a flat from piece of gravel on my gravel driveway. Be careful))

/ Flat tire from 22LR case? #8  
I've run over literally, thousands of them and never had one problem. Then again, I don't drive on junk or wore out tires.

SR

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Flat tire from 22LR case? #9  
I worked at a transmission shop after school back in like 86, had a tan nova come in, trans slipping and leaking fluid, owner had me put it on a lift to check it out...holy hell, I was like this stinks...he had hit a deer, it was stuck everywhere from front bumper the the rear end. The leak? It was from the antler sticking out of the TH350...Owner told him to clean it and bring it back