Flat tire

/ Flat tire #1  

scrimshaw33

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4520 w/ cab and FEL
I have a flat tire on my tractor and was wondering how I go about finding a replacement. I've had it filled back with air, found the leak and had it plugged but it's flat again, I'm ready to just buy a new one.

The tire is the front right tire and is labeled as a Titan Trac Loader Tire 10-16.5 NHS 6 PR. My tractor is a compact JD (4520 if I remember correctly) with 4WD and FEL.

I found several online and a few good deals on ebay all of which are 10-16.5 tires but are labeled as "skid steer" tires. When I buy a new tire is all I have to look for the 10-16.5 numbers--I'm not sure what to get here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Flat tire #2  
Hello
A patch or a tube might fix the problem for less money

/ Flat tire #3  
For punctures in the tread area of front tires, I've had good luck with "Green Slime". Osage orange & locust were heck on the lawn mowers in WV until I just started loading all tires up - then no more flats... I buy it by the gallon so theres always some available.

The FSIL (future son in law) used the 3038e for grading the yard at their new house & brought it back with a nail in one of the fronts. A good fellow, he offered to replace or repair as I preferred. Told him not to worry about it. Slimed both with the recommended amount, removed the nail (a 10 penny ring shank?) and aired them up. That was a week ago & no pressure drop.

Nick

/ Flat tire #4  
$6.69 and your all done..

Bell Automotive M8806 Monkey Grip Tire Repair Kit at HardwareAndTools.com

I have had one of these kits, available at any autoparts store for years. just the other day, fixed a flat on a car with the tire still on the car. just put a little air in the tire , have some roll the tire a little at a time until you find the nail/thorn/screw etc and pull it out and fix it. if you have a slow leak, then jack up the car, you can remove tire if you want or not. and take a paintbrush, and some soap solution, and find the leak. fix it with the kit, also check to make sure the schrader valve core is tight and not leaking. I spit on my finger and put a gob of spit over the valve stem and check for bubble formation. If the tire has a big crack, seperation, bubble, sure replace tire, otherwise just fix it.. it only takes a few minutes, and costs next to nothing.

James K0UA

/ Flat tire #5  
To find the tires your looking for, I would recomend finding a tire shop that does heavy trucks, and equipment. Most are more than helpful, and sometimes they may be able to patch it better than you could in your yard. They will also be able to find a tire that is a close match or exact match fairly easily.

/ Flat tire #6  
Hold on... The plug probably failed because the tire is not tubeless. Most likely there is a tube in there and you just need to open it up and patch the tube just like you would with a bicycle tire.

Post a closeup of the valve stem where it passes through the rim and we might be able to tell you if you have a tube.

Gene :^)

/ Flat tire #7  
For punctures in the tread area of front tires, I've had good luck with "Green Slime". Osage orange & locust were heck on the lawn mowers in WV until I just started loading all tires up - then no more flats... I buy it by the gallon so theres always some available.

The FSIL (future son in law) used the 3038e for grading the yard at their new house & brought it back with a nail in one of the fronts. A good fellow, he offered to replace or repair as I preferred. Told him not to worry about it. Slimed both with the recommended amount, removed the nail (a 10 penny ring shank?) and aired them up. That was a week ago & no pressure drop.
Nick

X's 2

Mesquite tree's in Texas are he## on tractor tires. I had the same problem, (front tire) , years ago. I took the tire to the shop, guys I had known for a long while. They took the tube out ,threw it away and filled the tire with "green Slime". I never had a flat again, in fact I had it added to all tires on a JD 950 and a Case 2290.

You never know when a "hidden" object will re-puncture a tube, with the slime , it doesn't matter.