Floating a Tree Stump with a B3030

/ Floating a Tree Stump with a B3030 #1  

WaxMan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe
I don't know if this is commonly known on removing a tree stump, but last year a storm knocked down a large tree right across our pool yard, fence and all. It was a big old maple tree with a big A**stump. About a month later, one Friday afternoon, I figured I'd just dig the stump out that day. Well that Friday turned into Saturday then Sunday. I dug all around that stump and I could not get that puppy to give an inch. Nevermind an inch, I could not even make it jiggle. Then I remembered when our in-ground pool was installed, the guy said make sure you always keep water in it because he has seen ground water float a concrete pool before. I thought maybe it would work on the tree stump, so I filled the hole with water. Once the hole was filled with water, it just took a few tugs here and there and the stump came loose. I could float it from side to side anywhere in the hole but it was still too heavy to get out. I ended up flipping it over in the water and scrape most of the dirt off the bottom, but not without dropping it quite a few times and creating some tsunamis with me getting wet. It was a big ordeal but the water worked.
I thought I would share what finally worked for me.

/ Floating a Tree Stump with a B3030 #2  
G**D***! That's a big ***** stump! And a dang nice pool house!:thumbsup:

/ Floating a Tree Stump with a B3030 #4  
Great job. That was a monster. I am going to make sure my wife does not see the picture of your outdoor area. She wants the pool, pool house, and outdoor fireplace. Your beautiful back yard would make her jealous and lead to me being poor :)

/ Floating a Tree Stump with a B3030 #5  
That is a very nice looking place you have there. That was a good idea on getting the water in an around the stump to loosen up the soil, let some of it wash off etc to lighten the load. That stump was about as big as your tractor from the looks of it. Glad you were able to get it out. THEN what did you do with it?

/ Floating a Tree Stump with a B3030 #6  
Awesome work!! Nice pool area! Did you put the stump in the pool and wash it off??!!:laughing:

/ Floating a Tree Stump with a B3030 #7  
Nice job nice looking place and good idea, especially if ya like mud. I wouldn't say the stump itself is huge but definately big for that machine.

/ Floating a Tree Stump with a B3030 #8  
Good to know that the water was a big help...I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the pics too.

/ Floating a Tree Stump with a B3030 #9  
If it's too heavy to lift, fill your loader bucket with water and then scoop it up. It will be floating in the bucket, thus weighing nothing.

xtn

PS - That's humor, in case you were thinking of correcting me.

/ Floating a Tree Stump with a B3030 #10  
If any woodchucks were living under that shed, I think you gave em a huge headache. Like your cement pond and chimney.