Flooring Nailer

/ Flooring Nailer #31  
Many, but not all pros, start in the middle when installing flooring. I lurk over at the JLC site. Here's what one pro had to say about its advantages.

"I like to start in the middle of the room for several reasons:

- easier to go around objects
- large rooms go much faster with 2 nailers going in each direction
- if the room is off square you can split the difference at the opposite floors
- I can get straighter starter row in the middle than against a wall.
- It gives me better options for layout - ie not a 1/4" board running along a bar or cabinet. ..."

Hardwood Floor Install - technique - need advice - JLC-Online Forums

Very true and what is not mentioned is the starting course will have a spline added to the groove side to make it a double tongued board. This allows the installer to work both directions.

MarkV

/ Flooring Nailer #32  
Yea i try to keep it fresh. I have thought that if it goes i will buy a HF pressure washer they go on sale i think for less than $200 without coupon, or is it over 200? It actually looks like it has as many features as my current washer that pukes oil out of the pump. The new pumps at Northern seem to be the price of a new unit or almost there?

Yep, saw a pressure washer at Costco for $299 with Honda motor. I like return policy Costco has.

/ Flooring Nailer #33  
Many, but not all pros, start in the middle when installing flooring. I lurk over at the JLC site. Here's what one pro had to say about its advantages.

"I like to start in the middle of the room for several reasons:

- easier to go around objects
- large rooms go much faster with 2 nailers going in each direction
- if the room is off square you can split the difference at the opposite floors
- I can get straighter starter row in the middle than against a wall.
- It gives me better options for layout - ie not a 1/4" board running along a bar or cabinet. ..."

Hardwood Floor Install - technique - need advice - JLC-Online Forums

Yep, that is what I am planning.

/ Flooring Nailer #34  
...what is not mentioned is the starting course will have a spline added to the groove side to make it a double tongued board...

I did mention the most common technique used by pro installers...

...to make the direction change they cut a tongue that is double the width and use it to reverse the diretion
...They usually just mill a (double wide) tongue on a table saw....

[tool tip]

The average plastic milk crate is the same height (as the working table) of almost all the common portable table saws not mounted on legs... a couple of milk crates on on either side of the saw allows the user to rip long boards without setting up elaborate set ups and makes transporting, moving and storing easier than a table saw on legs with roller stands...

[/tool tip]

/ Flooring Nailer #36  
[tool tip]

The average plastic milk crate is the same height (as the working table) of almost all the common portable table saws not mounted on legs... a couple of milk crates on on either side of the saw allows the user to rip long boards without setting up elaborate set ups and makes transporting, moving and storing easier than a table saw on legs with roller stands...

[/tool tip]

Another tip. Chances are high that you are going to have to taper some boards. If you are using a table saw (rather than a track saw), you will need a tapering jig. If you don't already have one, make one ahead of time. There are scads of free plans on the Web.

Steve

/ Flooring Nailer #37  
The floors my guys do are a little different - maple gym floors - they only want Primatech guns - they have been getting 800 sf per man per day and the guns hold up very well.

/ Flooring Nailer #38  
Most of the (municipal) gym floors I did were glue down but a few were on sleepers...

/ Flooring Nailer #39  
Here are som pics i started laying floor yesterday and am stopped for luch now, i have twice what this pic shows completed. My HF gun about 100 staples ago started misfiring, cant quite figure out when or why (only every so often) but i may take it back this week as i have the warrenty and its kind of annoying, but for the $99 (i looked at receipt, shoulh have used a 20% coupon) i paid its a good deal considering i cant do it all in one day.

Sorry for the quality but there cell pics.

Attachments

• 0201101616b.jpg
    0201101616b.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 0201101616a.jpg
    0201101616a.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 41
   / Flooring Nailer #40  
Wrong pics i guess i should look closer at the thumbs, those are my cats on some of the floors i refinished.

Here we go.

Attachments

• 1011101049b.jpg
    1011101049b.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 1011101049a.jpg
    1011101049a.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 67