Flow dividers ?

/ Flow dividers ? #1  

cruz54982

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T503 cab , 1946 Farmal M , case 310 industrial /w fel
I have what I believed to be a flow divider by HCI Prince it has an in port at the bottom 2 ports at the top one smaller than the other an adjusting set screw for the larger port a plug below the adjusting screw and another plug on the side opposite the adjusting screw.so I plumbed it expecting the large port as main and second port as aux. - the adjusting screw can reduce the flow to the main port to almost no flow but I get nothing from the second port ? whats wrong ? is this not what I thought or am I plumbing it wrong ? casting has C454 next to the in port that is labeled as in. sorry no pic. I have not been able to get any pic,s to load .

/ Flow dividers ? #2  
454 is casting number. It could be any number of the RD series valves.

Maybe something like this.

3/4" NPT 16-30 GPM DIVIDER VALVE

I believe you have a divider valve.

Last edited:
   / Flow dividers ?
yup looks right except mine has an allen set screw on the left side for flow adjust. the thing is I get no flow from the right top outlet = why ?

/ Flow dividers ? #4  
Some flow dividers are set, and others are adjustable.

The adjusting screw adjust the priority flow, so try backing the adjusting screw out.

1/2" NPT 30 GPM ADJ PRIORITY DIVIDER VALVE RD550

http://www.surpluscenter.com/_MoreSpecs/dr9-5024-xx.pdf

Maybe your tractor can only supply enough fluid for the priority flow, and therefore there is none left for the excess flow.

Is the top right outlet the excess flow?

If say your tractor has 8 GPM flow, then a 4 to 8 GPM valve would work, or an 50/50 split split valve in the flow path.

Steering might take 3 GPM, and that would leave 5 for the loader, remote or 3pt.

/ Flow dividers ?
J_J thanks for the info - I should have given more info . I added a lift to my woodsplitter with a separate control valve with a much smaller cyl. so it moves way to fast unless I really feather the lever. A friend purchased a box at an auction with several brand new units as I explained we thought were flow dividers. I attached my splitting ram to the primary and the lift to secondary. I can slow the primary till the motor is almost in stall mode and the ram moves like a snail but still no oil to the second port. I don't know how old they are and wonder if something is just stuck inside- they look new with not a hint of rust or use.

/ Flow dividers ? #6  
Sounds like you really want a flow restrictor and not a devider. A restrictor is merely a device that has a small orifice that allows very little fluid to pass.
Basically a fitting with as tiny hole in it.
I have made some by welding shut a fitting and then drilling a tiny hole to allow minimal fluid to pass.
Using a smaller hose will also restrict flow but not pressure.
BTW, restrictors are cheap, like in the $5.00 range.

/ Flow dividers ? #7  
You could have any number of different things. Go to prince hydraulics, frequently asked questions, product identification. That will show you where to find the PIN# That will tell you what you have. Then we can figure out what is going on. CJ