Fluid and power steer

/ Fluid and power steer #1  

mbull

2005 L2800.

My power steering seems week or binding. Tractor has 90 hrs., no front end loader.
Did filterr change, no help. Fluid looked OK.
Should I change fluid also?
Where do you drain it?
What is refill capacity?

Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Fluid and power steer
Can anybody give suggestions?

/ Fluid and power steer #3  
90 hours in 4 years??

Most folks change hydraulic fluid after 50 hours. At 4 years many owners might change it out of boredom.

Assuming the hydraulics work, about half of steering problems are due to leaking o-rings in the steering ram. Yours have been sitting unused so much, could see that happening.

Worst thing you can do to a tractor is not use it....

/ Fluid and power steer
Would these leaking o-rings be visible? There are zero signs of leaks anywhere on this tractor.

/ Fluid and power steer #5  
Would these leaking o-rings be visible? There are zero signs of leaks anywhere on this tractor.

No, they are internal to the steering ram, between the opposing hydraulic loops.

However, a leak there won't make the steering wheel bind. The steering wheel still turns, just the steering doesn't follow.

/ Fluid and power steer
Problem solved. Filters and fluids were not the issue. I remembered reading a post awhile back about return line (from filter to hydraulic pump) that was prone to cracks. Took rubber line off, found crack, replaced, all is like new.

/ Fluid and power steer #7  
Glad to hear that you solved your problem but yes, 90 hours in 4 years :confused:? I would proceed with the 50 hour service regardless if you solved the steering problem.

Welcome to TBN!!!