Tires fluid filled tires?

/ fluid filled tires? #11  
Just out of curiosity does WW fluid or Methanol have any side effects on the rubber (drying it out, softening ect.) I don't know if it does but would want to know before I used it. Does any body have an answer to this?

/ fluid filled tires? #12  
Gerald, thanks for the help ! we might try the pump and the hose and hose clamp as seems that would work as long as the tractor was jacked up to let the air out as we are pumping the fluid in. OH yes I knew the valve stem had to be at the top, tried to put air in a tire with fluid when the stem was close to the bottom and what a mess.
ditt.

/ fluid filled tires? #13  
Don't forget to "burp the baby" several times along the way............chim

/ fluid filled tires? #14  
WARNING !!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!

Methanol is a flammable liquid, so be careful, make the transfer from the drum/container outside and please do not smoke! Any, spills, leaks should be mixed with water ASAP. Make sure any hoses you use do not leak. The drill used to run the pump can also be a source of ignition. Flammable vapors can travel a long distance and flash back and make for a real bad day! Also make sure the WW you are using is not flammable, flash point below 100F, read the label, contact the manufacture and get a MSDS sheet or you can have the same problem. Mixing with water at a 7.5 parts water to 2 parts methanol, or a 25% solution should reduce the fire hazard, do not know if this will solve the freezing problem. Information I have is a weight % Methanol at 25% the flash point is 100F, a 50% mixture has a flash point of about 73F, a flammable liquid!

Be safe

Tom

/ fluid filled tires? #15  
Tom is right. Methanol is very flamable. MSDS rate things on a scale of 0-4. 0 meaning that it won't burn and 4 meaning it can spontanesously combust. Methanol is a 3 if memory serves. But this would not be the case when properly diluted with water. Its only the straight stuff you need to worry about.

The other guys are also right; washer fluid is in fact alcohol and water. This could be isopropanol, ethel, or methanol; all are forms of alcohol. Methanol is the most common since now one would be tempted to drink it to get high. A few CCs of methanol will make you go blind and a large dose can kill.

The cheap route might be to buy some alcohol and then dilute with water. But like tom says be carefull.
When you buy the washer fluid most of what you are buying is water and blue dye.

Fred

/ fluid filled tires? #16  
Steven,

The methanol won't hurt your tires.
See the attached link. This lists chemical compatibility of a whole list of compounds and natural rubber (NR). Note about half way down methanol is a 1 which means its compatible
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barnant.com/ponndorf/compat_chart.htm>http://www.barnant.com/ponndorf/compat_chart.htm</A>

In general methanol is pretty mild other than the flamability issue. It does make a pretty good solvent so the inside of those tires are now very clean /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Fred

/ fluid filled tires? #17  
Just a little more info, below is the definition of combustible and flammable liquid based on NFPA 30, 2000 edition. I have a chart with the flash point based on the percentage of methanol, if you are interested let me know and I will e mail it to you, it is to large to attach here 560K as a pdf.

1.7.3.1 Combustible Liquid.
Any liquid that has a closed-cup flash point at or above 100°F (37.8°C), as determined by the test procedures and apparatus set forth in 1.7.4. Combustible liquids are classified as Class II or Class III as follows: (a) Class II Liquid — any liquid that has a flash point at or above 100°F (37.8°C) and below 140°F (60°C); (b) Class IIIA — any liquid that has a flash point at or above 140°F (60°C), but below 200°F (93°C); (c) Class IIIB — any liquid that has a flash point at or above 200°F (93°C).

1.7.3.2 Flammable Liquid.
Any liquid that has a closed-cup flash point below 100°F (37.8°C), as determined by the test procedures and apparatus set forth in 1.7.4. Flammable liquids are classified as Class I as follows: (a) Class I Liquid — any liquid that has a closed-cup flash point below 100°F (37.8°C) and a Reid vapor pressure not exceeding 40 psia (2068.6 mm Hg) at 100°F (37.8°C), as determined by ASTM D 323, Standard Method of Test for Vapor Pressure of Petroleum Products (Reid Method). Class I liquids are further classified as follows: (1) Class IA liquids — those liquids that have flash points below 73°F (22.8°C) and boiling points below 100°F (37.8°C); (2) Class IB liquids — those liquids that have flash points below 73°F (22.8°C) and boiling points at or above 100°F (37.8°C); (3) Class IC liquids — those liquids that have flash points at or above 73°F (22.8°C), but below 100°F (37.8°C).

/ fluid filled tires? #18  
O.K. Chim, thanks for the reminder...........
ditt

/ fluid filled tires? #19  
Thanks Phred that list will come in handy for me.

/ fluid filled tires? #20  
Does anyone know the amount of WW fluid the front tire on a a TC30 would hold?
Ag tires 4 wheel drive

Thanks
daryl