Fluid or Weights???

/ Fluid or Weights??? #81  
I don't have a beef with any of that as long as you keep those wicked thorns down in Missouri where they belong. The rest of us who don't compact landfills or drive over hot coals on a daily basis or over cactus patches do all right with fluid filed tires.
May you never have another flat!

:laughing:

Yeah, as mentioned thorns etc. are a unique situation that really skews the situation, growing up on that farm while we were still clearing woods and farming "new ground" we often used an Allis Chalmers with a set of steel wheels we swapped out regularly.

On two of our other farms, we run fluid filled tires only with one a combination of fluid and weights which works well. We had two flats last year which for us is acceptable.

/ Fluid or Weights??? #82  
small tire, large tire, medium sized tire. Fluid stiffens them all and reduces traction. I would rather plug leaks in a dry tire than a liquid ballasted tire.

/ Fluid or Weights??? #83  
small tire, large tire, medium sized tire. Fluid stiffens them all and reduces traction.

According to you and what other source? How many tractors on this site would you guess are ballasted for traction? I bet most are ballasted for stability.

/ Fluid or Weights??? #84  
small tire, large tire, medium sized tire. Fluid stiffens them all and reduces traction. I would rather plug leaks in a dry tire than a liquid ballasted tire.

Sorry but that's inaccurate. The amount of air pressure in the tire determines it's flexibility. Plugging leaks in a liquid ballasted tire is no different than doing it in a dry tire.

/ Fluid or Weights??? #85  

Sorry, but in a tractor, anyway that increases the static friction between the medium and the tire increases traction. F=μs*N (μs = Static Friction Coefficient, N = Normal Force.) So you either change mu or the normal force. With a tractor, the mu is unable to be changed except by changing tires or the medium you are driving on. What we do have control over is the Normal force or weight. Any increase in weight increases the tractors static friction and therefore traction.

/ Fluid or Weights??? #86  
Sorry but that's inaccurate. The amount of air pressure in the tire determines it's flexibility. Plugging leaks in a liquid ballasted tire is no different than doing it in a dry tire.

Plugging a tube equipped tire doesn't work. Tubes are often used to reduce rim damage.
A wet tire does loose liquid ballast . A problem in particular when it corrosive CaCl.
It's a matter of record and beyond being contested. If Titan Deere and Firestone claim that fluid stiffens the tires and reduces traction. I'll beleieve Titan, Deere and Firestone.

/ Fluid or Weights??? #87  
If ??Titan Deere and Firestone claim that fluid stiffens the tires and reduces traction. I'll beleieve Titan, Deere and Firestone.

/ Fluid or Weights??? #88  
It's a matter of record and beyond being contested. If Titan Deere and Firestone claim that fluid stiffens the tires and reduces traction. I'll beleieve Titan, Deere and Firestone.

How many members of this forum do you think perform tillage operations and are concerned if their tire walls stiffen and they don't have exactly the correct traction when what they need is STABILITY?

This is what I found on one of Titan's sites. http://www.titanstore.com/pdf/TireInfo.pdf

If tire manufacturers are against liquid ballast being added as you state then why do all of the tire manufacturers publish a chart outlined liquid capacity of tires?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    100.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    176.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
   / Fluid or Weights??? #89  
How many members of this forum do you think perform tillage operations and are concerned if their tire walls stiffen and they don't have exactly the correct traction when what they need is STABILITY?

This is what I found on one of Titan's sites. http://www.titanstore.com/pdf/TireInfo.pdf

If tire manufacturers are against liquid ballast being added as you state then why do all of the tire manufacturers publish a chart outlined liquid capacity of tires?

The question to B&D is a valid one, and while he didn't provide direct evidence, Jim did. It is right between the 2 circled portions on the Titan page under the paragraph for Dry Weights. It states clearly there, that traction is enhanced with proper deflection (caused in turn by inflation pressures). And for radial tires, it says they should always be dry. I found some similar verbiage on a link to a Nebraska Tractor test document.

However the goal must be stated in advance. If you are after stability, fluid is best. If you are after traction, get a radial and go with cast. At this point, I've forgotten what the OP was after. :D

/ Fluid or Weights??? #90  
RaydaKub
My contention is b&d may provide some valid information along with biased opinions but what % of TBN members are concerned with traction loss from non flexing tire sidewalls VS stability especially when a FEL is going to be utilized. OK I'll get down off my ""SOAPBOX"".