Fluid or Weights???

/ Fluid or Weights??? #1  

mx1alex

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
So I just bought a Kubota L3940 with no weights or fluid in the tires and from what I've read I think adding some weight back there would be beneficial to me. I have some pretty good slope to my place and will also be suing some ground engaging implements and could use the traction.

My first thought was to get fluid in the rear tires but I'm worried about repairs. I have a ton of locust on my place and am worried that with fluid filled tires the repairs will be more expensive.

I haven't really looked into that hard yet so I have no idea what the cost difference or weight difference between the two is.

/ Fluid or Weights??? #2  
I would think that fluid would be better, especially if you are using implements on the 3PH, as well as cheaper. Do you have 14.9-24's? If so, that would be about 100 gallons of liquid, which would add around 800-900 lbs. Where I am, freezing isn't enough of a concern, so often I will just use water, but I can get Windshield Washer Fluid for around $2 per gal and probably cheaper if I sourced it wholesale. One thing I like is that you can vary the amount of weight that you are using depending on the need. It does however, take a lot of work to get the water completely out.

/ Fluid or Weights??? #6  
Are you concerned about cost or adjust ability. Those are your two main differences between fluid and weights. If you get flats a lot, maybe getting foam filled tires is the best option?

/ Fluid or Weights???
I understand the need for the weight, my concerns are more with maintenance or fixing a tire with a thorn in it that has fluid filled tires.

/ Fluid or Weights??? #8  
I understand the need for the weight, my concerns are more with maintenance or fixing a tire with a thorn in it that has fluid filled tires.

Then RedNeck's idea may be best. Foam filled is the heaviest there is and since there is no air pressure anymore, flats are a thing of the past. The downsides are that the ride is going to be rougher and when you need to replace them because they are worn out, you have to cut them off the rim. Note: I have never tried them, but that's what the other threads have indicated.

/ Fluid or Weights??? #9  
I would like to chime in. A previous poster mentioned foaming the tires. If I had to do it again today, I would have foamed my rear tires instead of using Rimguard. With loaded tires using fluid, you have to maintain an air pressure and worry about flats. However, I did speak with a contractor who did septic systems. He told me that he couldn't stand his tires being foamed. He felt that they gave his machine a hard ride. I guess--like everything in life--there are upsides and downsides. But, like I wrote, I would go with foam now.

/ Fluid or Weights??? #10  
Re: Fluid or Weights??? My Solution

QA Weight on a highly modified Quick Hitch that allows 3 Pt use with weight still attached. Weight needs to be removed to use PTO.

Attachments

• QA HITCH & CW W_Sub_Soiler_ISO#3 Rear.JPG
    QA HITCH & CW W_Sub_Soiler_ISO#3 Rear.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 123
  • QA HITCH & CW W_Sub_Soiler_SIDE #1.JPG
    QA HITCH & CW W_Sub_Soiler_SIDE #1.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 109
  • QA HITCH & CW W_Sub_Soiler_ISO#.JPG
    QA HITCH & CW W_Sub_Soiler_ISO#.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 105
  • harbor freight quick hitch item# 97214_ISO#2 from front.jpg
    harbor freight quick hitch item# 97214_ISO#2 from front.jpg