Flux core wire: how long will it stay fresh?

/ Flux core wire: how long will it stay fresh? #1  

mx842

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301, PowerKing 2414, John Deere 316, Gravely ZT HD 52
I'm finally getting to the point where I can set up my welders in my new/old pole barn. It's new but the way it's been going it will be old before I finish it.:laughing: I finally was able to get my big oven off the trailer it's been sitting on for three years and into the building where I can work on it to repair some damage to it while it was outside all that time. I never did completely finish it so this is a fix and finish kind of deal. I started working on it last week but I got very little done because I ran out of wire. I had several small 2 lb spools but didn't want to use them so I went to my welding supply place and picked up a 33lb roll of solid core wire so I could get back to working on the oven.

In the mean time I was doing some clean up and trying to put things in order around the shop and I found this brand new roll of Lincon 71A 85 .045 Ultracore wire I had bought when I first bough this new Miller 252. I had forgotten that I had it because of the way all my stuff has been scattered out while I have been working on my new shop. Anyway It's still in the unbroken box and still in the foil package so It should still be good even though where I found it was rather damp and humid.

I asked my son who is a welder at a large factory here in town about it but he didn't really know because this is the wire they use at the plant he works at and they use so much of this wire it rarely stays on a spool drive but a couple weeks before it's used up but if for some reason one of the welders doesn't use up a roll within a month it gets pulled off and a new roll goes on. They say there is some kind of welding rule somewhere that says moisture can effect the resin and cause possible failures.

They do this even in their climate controlled shop so I wondering what is going to happen if I break open this roll and try to use it in my not so climate controlled shop considering this is the first roll of wire this machine has gone through and I have had it over a year now and I think that was just a 10 lb roll. I'll probably be using it more now that I have the machines at least set up to where I can use them but it will still be some time before I have the money to finish the building to the point to where I can go to work.

My son didn't really know how long the stuff would last and stay usable because they never leave it on a spool but so long so I'm wondering what you guys think.

/ Flux core wire: how long will it stay fresh? #2  
I would give it a try, if it worm tracks, and you can not adjust the machine to get rid of the worm tracks. Contact Lincoln and ask them about re-baking it.
Worm Tracks - Causes and Cures

/ Flux core wire: how long will it stay fresh?
I would give it a try, if it worm tracks, and you can not adjust the machine to get rid of the worm tracks. Contact Lincoln and ask them about re-baking it.
Worm Tracks - Causes and Cures

Thanks, for the link that was a good read and explains a few things that I had seen before but never knew what the cause was. I just blamed it on the welder....Me:laughing: and kept on keeping on. Most of the welding I normally do is never that critical but it is good to know what is causing some of the crazy things I see in some of my projects. I thought about putting the wire in one of my powder coat ovens and cooking it for a few hours before I try to use it. I'll get with the Lincon people to see what they have to say. Thanks

/ Flux core wire: how long will it stay fresh? #4  
It's never my fault! It is always the machines fault!:laughing:

I have some dual shield wire I cannot keep from worm tracking. I need to re-bake it, but I don't run enough dual shield wire to worry about it now. If I ever need it I'll stick it in the oven. Remember what ever Lincoln suggest for stickout, that is what I would do. The wrong stickout will give you worm tracks too. Correct stickout is crucial with some wires more so than others.;)

Attachments

• Worm tracks.JPG
    Worm tracks.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 1,430
   / Flux core wire: how long will it stay fresh? #5  
Some of the Dual Shield worm tracks for no apparent reason. When I was building flare stacks, they welded all the bases with flux-core. There would be square plate welded to the pipe with 4 gussets. You'd do the first 2 sections perfect and then on the 3rd it would worm track. Nothing changed but now you have to try and grind it out with a die grinder which is a real pain. Someone mentioned at a later date that if the nozzle on the gun gets too hot will cause worm tracking but that doesn't make a lot of sense unless it somehow affects the shielding gas. I was going to do a job test with Metal-Core but have never used it so the company said I could come and try it first. I checked with a welding school what kind of settings it should be run but at the shop the foreman said they usually run a lot more volts. I'd do one perfect bead and then the next was full of porosity. The foreman said I had too much stickout but I didn't change anything. Every 3rd bead would have porosity. I think I should have left the voltage lower. I was so frustrated/embarrassed:pullinghair: I never went back to do the job test. Maybe that's why most old school welders much prefer stick for critical welds:thumbsup:

/ Flux core wire: how long will it stay fresh? #8  
From their site:
It is optimized for use with 90% Ar/10% CO2
We had a similar problem when we went to flux core wire and were using 75/25, same as we had on solid wire. You'd get a nice small bead but the minute you tried to lay any size bead, you'd get wormholes. According to the sales rep, reason being is the higher concentration of CO2 isn't supplying enough de-oxidizers for the amount of time the puddle is fluid. We ended up going to 90/10 and all was well.....Mike

/ Flux core wire: how long will it stay fresh? #9  
I had a bottle of C/10 a while back to play with some spray arc welding. Didn't think to try it with the 70 Ultra Plus. I have some ESAB 710X that I have no problems with C/25.
Some over head, vertical up, and flat fillet.

Attachments

• 710X OH1.JPG
    710X OH1.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 458
  • 710X OH2.JPG
    710X OH2.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 1,311
  • V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 728
  • -2.0.JPG
    -2.0.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 278
   / Flux core wire: how long will it stay fresh? #10  
There are 71-T1 dual shield wires out there that are formulated to run on CO2. Most actulally. I'm surprised that 75/25 would be deemed too much CO2. Interesting. Some of the new cored wires are seamless. that makes for a longer shelf life. I'm starting to see a lot more cored wire applications shifting back to hard wire on Pulse. Cleaner, Faster, Much less Smoke. Big Iron still requires dual shield and I'm glad I don't have to run it. I was watching guys build large excavator buckets for the mines. 1" plate 3/32 wire..No Thanks. When i used to sell it, Worm Tracking among other things was usually tracked back to formulation of the core but I would guess old wire would run bad as well.