Flys

/ Flys #1  

crusty 1

Platinum Member
Hopefully this hasnt been discussed to death,didn,t find it in a search.I,v not had livestock here for a long time,neighbor butchered last fall"his last critter".Its just now starting to warm up and I'v got flys like a bad horror movie:mad:what to do?Dave

/ Flys #2  
I dont know where you are; but here in NW Georgia we have had wet for a week or so with cooooool temps.......Today is the first day in many that it is sunny and warm in the 60's-70s............Boy oh boy have we had a fly hatch.....This morning as the sun was coming through the trees and really warming up I was up clearing brush on the side of the mountain and was covered over with flies of all kinds.......Mainly the big fat ones; but the deal was they would light on the tractor or me and sit there and allow me to swat them......musta killed 100......Stopped off at the barn thinking that we would be over run and there was nothing.......Go figure.......God bless....Dennis

Ohhhhhh by the way, we use Spalding fly predators. We should get the first shipment any day now........We of course use fly strips and the bait stuff that you put out, but the predators truly do work and are our mainstay defense.............

/ Flys #3  
Hopefully this hasnt been discussed to death,didn,t find it in a search.I,v not had livestock here for a long time,neighbor butchered last fall"his last critter".Its just now starting to warm up and I'v got flys like a bad horror movie:mad:what to do?Dave

it takes a couple years for the fly to move on or rather be killed out for most part at least it did here, when the cattle were ended at this farm.

when cattle were here, what seamed to kill the most were the stink bucket hang out traps, that were about 3 gallons in size and fill up in about 2 weeks time of nothing but flies.

only thing i can say for inside, is use regular old fly spray, and keep at it.
for outside, ya going to need to wait for the birds.

/ Flys
my place is clean and never this problem before.Maybe with no animals around they had to look for what ever they can find:confused:I'm in northern Minnesota and when I say "starting to warm up" means the 40s:laughing:I just can't take these gal darn flys. I did put out a couple of fly traps so I'll see if that helps.I'm mostly worried they'll multiple even more:mad:Dave

/ Flys #5  
One of the best ways to trap flys that I have ever seen is in the form of a white strip about a 1/4 or 5/16" wide on a spool. You string the strip out in your barn and the flys will be on it even as you are doing that.

There is no attractant, only the sticky tape so it will not draw flys like the water traps with the pheremones do. The flys are attracted to the white color.

About the only drawback is dust will stick to the tape same as any other sticky trap and limit the stickyness.

I have to dig through my catalogs and order some of that up now that I am reminded.

By the way, does anyone have experiance with those traps that look like a black tarp stretched between a couple of T-stakes or a frame. They have some kind of plastic tub that the flys drop into or something. I have only seen them in catalogs and they are quite pricey.

/ Flys
Thanks for the fly advice.I put out 3 of the cone shaped traps that you fill with a fish smell bait and it seems to be working good!:D