FMCSA interpretation of GCWR

/ FMCSA interpretation of GCWR #71  
I don't think that it's reasonable to move into a house near a highway and expect quiet. I don't think that it's any different than moving near an airport and expecting quiet. The airport and the highway were there first, it is the responsibility of the property buyer to not buy the property if they want quiet. There will never be enough cops to enforce every law and protect every citizen from every ill.

Again you seem to be missing my point- I have no problem with regular normal legal traffic noise, I've stated that twice. I do, however, expect the authorities to enforce the laws prohibiting ILLEGAL activities.
I live in what was once a quiet off the beaten path neighborhood. Around the corner from me one family has moved in that is outrageously loud at all hours, loud late night basketball games, they have at least one very loud Harley, several pickups with altered loud exhaust systems, shoot off lots of fireworks late at night for no apparent reason, ie not the 4th or New Years...

I guess the rest of us should have no expectations of peace and quiet since we all bought homes in a neighborhoods where such things can happen. We all expect normal noise, the lawnmowers on the weekends etc but certainly not what this crowd is dishing out. Thankfully I'm far enough away I am only aware of it and not too annoyed, except for the late night fireworks, but if I lived next door or closer to them than I do I would certainly expect law enforcement to do its job if asked.

Getting back to the "all about money" thing- I still remain puzzled why the transport cops apparently don't write tickets at that NC Weigh Station for each and every violation that comes through, especially since their staff has indicated they can write no muffler tickets and would pay an inspection visit to any offenders I report to them. Oh, they check for red fuel there too, or at least are supposed to, according to the signs they have up....

/ FMCSA interpretation of GCWR #72  
Again you seem to be missing my point- I have no problem with regular normal legal traffic noise, I've stated that twice. I do, however, expect the authorities to enforce the laws prohibiting ILLEGAL activities.
I live in what was once a quiet off the beaten path neighborhood. Around the corner from me one family has moved in that is outrageously loud at all hours, loud late night basketball games, they have at least one very loud Harley, several pickups with altered loud exhaust systems, shoot off lots of fireworks late at night for no apparent reason, ie not the 4th or New Years...

I guess the rest of us should have no expectations of peace and quiet since we all bought homes in a neighborhoods where such things can happen. We all expect normal noise, the lawnmowers on the weekends etc but certainly not what this crowd is dishing out. Thankfully I'm far enough away I am only aware of it and not too annoyed, except for the late night fireworks, but if I lived next door or closer to them than I do I would certainly expect law enforcement to do its job if asked.

Getting back to the "all about money" thing- I still remain puzzled why the transport cops apparently don't write tickets at that NC Weigh Station for each and every violation that comes through, especially since their staff has indicated they can write no muffler tickets and would pay an inspection visit to any offenders I report to them. Oh, they check for red fuel there too, or at least are supposed to, according to the signs they have up....

Well, now you're talking about something different. You originally mentioned all the big rigs on the highway running with their modified exhaust and Jake brakes. You didn't mention fireworks late at night all the time and things of that nature in a normal residential neighborhood that's not near a highway. Under those circumstances, I wouldn't find some additional patrol to be out of line, but that's a totally different set of circumstances than you first described. When a new inconsiderate neighbor comes into a residential neighborhood and starts creating a problem, then some community oriented policing, combined with code enforcement and things of that nature are warranted. I guess I'm confused as to what over the road truck exhausts and Jake brakes have to do with noisy residential neighbors though. My guess is that in NC there is even a different section of law that references passenger cars with modified exhaust as opposed to big rigs with modified exhausts, I know that's the case in NY.

I can't explain why officers at weigh stations don't write tickets for other violations in NC. My best guess would be that there is probably only one officer and they can't take the time and back up traffic to write tickets on non weight related issues. It also still doesn't change my opinion and what I've personally seen and experienced.

In reference to the post about a family who had a highway put through their property without actually wanting it there, they have a legitimate gripe as far as I'm concerned. My issue is when people move near highway, airport, gun range, etc. that was there before they lived there or bought the property and then complain about the loud traffic, airplanes or shots, etc. And life being what it is I do believe that it is the responsibility of a prudent person to expect not only normal traffic noise but also the occasional loud, modified exhaust when they move near a major highway just because of the volume of traffic that is going to drive on it. I know I shake my head every time I drive by a new development that pops up right alongside a highway, and think to myself unless those people are all deaf then those houses aren't worth half what they paid no matter how cheap they were.

/ FMCSA interpretation of GCWR #73  
I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The illegal truck noise occurs near my property in NC while I live in SC over 100 miles away. I do hear it at home in SC too but it is much farther away, the hills aren't near as big or as long, but at around 2 miles I still hear it, thats how loud it can be. Some of the worst I bet can be heard 5 or more miles away and that is just ridiculous.
My point, that I didn't make effectively, was that if if illegal truck noise is acceptable to you where do you draw the line? The neighborhood noise was an example of other noise that I wondered if you'd also find acceptable.
Personally I strive to lead my life so I don't inconvenience or annoy anyone, wish more people did. Some people seem to delight in bothering other people, usually uneccessarily.
I still feel the violators should be ticketed, I believe if the average owner operator got several $1000 tickets a week those mufflers would quickly go back on.