Foam filled vs Slime need feedback

/ Foam filled vs Slime need feedback #1  

popeye

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5000
I tried searching for old posts on pros and cons on foam filled tires vs Slime or another filler for my front tires. Nothing returned although my search criteria could have been in error. Can ya'll give me some feedback. Tired of fixing flats from thorns and glass.
Mike

/ Foam filled vs Slime need feedback #2  
If you're looking for a permanent fix go with foam. It'll do a better job if you're cutting your tires. It's more expensive than slime and handles cuts better. The slime is good for punctures but not so much for cuts.

/ Foam filled vs Slime need feedback #3  
Hi,

In my opinion foam is the permanent solution.

I learned from years of bicycling with slime in my tires that the slime does do a good job, but eventually the puncture would leak again and it would be at the worst time for me...in the dark, on a cold rainy night, while commuting home in winter...a 16 mile each way trip!

So...I elected foam in the front tires of my B2910 Kubota and haven't looked back. I would have foam filled my rears too, but decided to see if it was needed and filled them with WW fluid. Not a puncture yet...

I can't tell if the foam makes a difference or not as far as digging in the grass. When it is dry I don't dig in. When it is wet I dig in front and back a little.

I will tell you I am VERY satiisfied with the foam filled fronts and would do it again.

Hope this helps...Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Foam filled vs Slime need feedback #4  
where can i purchase foam? how is it installed?

/ Foam filled vs Slime need feedback #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( where can i purchase foam? how is it installed? )</font>

Hi,

You have to find a tire dealer that does it. My Kubota dealer told me the name of a tire dealer that did it, and said I might just as well go there myself if I wanted to.

The foam is pumped into the tire via the valve stem. they drill a hole in the tire to let the air out as the foam goes in. That hole is later plugged with a sheet metal screw.

The foam has to cure for a day before it is used.

The front tires on my Kubota B2910 cost about $70 each to foam fill. I was quoted something like $247 each to fill the rear tires...did not do it as I have had no rear punctures yet.

The price to foam fill around here is about $1 per pound of foam put in...

Hope this helps. If you live around Pgh let me know and I will give you the info on the tire dealer that filled my tires...

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Foam filled vs Slime need feedback #6  
I have never used foam so I am no help there. I just put slime in one of my Kioti's front Titan tire (6 ply). I ran over a fence nail and it punctured the tire. I went and bought a 16oz bottle of slime and followed the directions. Filled the tire back up with air and it has worked great for two weeks so far. I'm sold /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Foam filled vs Slime need feedback #7  
The pros are: it's a permanent solution.
The cons are: it's a permanent solution.
Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But seriously, the foam is heavy. Do you want to add weight to your tires? And if you decide it is too much weight later, it is too late. The foam is permanent and cannot be removed from the tire, unlike liquid ballast, that can be drained if you are not satisfied with the weight. Also, if you ever get into situations where you want to change the PSI in the tire, such as low traction conditions, can you do it with foam in the tires? I don't know. Also, there are several reports that foam actually lessens traction because the tires won't flex to conform to the ground. Steering wear and tear is also reported if you add it to the front wheels.

I don't have foam in my tractor tires, so I can't attest to any of this. Those are some of the reasons I stayed away from it. But I do have slime in my front tires(all four of my tires are the same size). I have turf tires and occasonally brush hog. I get punctures from the thorns. The slime stopped the problems. I put one bottle in each tire. Took about 5 minutes per tire. I still have two bottles of it left for the rears, but have never had a leak back there, so I won't use it until I do. So, I can honestly say that it works in my front tires and I haven't needed it in my rear tires.

My suggestion would be to use slime first and see how it does. If it does the job, great. If it doesn't, you haven't spent alot of money and you can then get the tires foam filled. Just be sure to tell them there is slime in the tires before you have them filled, in case there is some type of incompatability issue and they have to clean them out.

Here's a link to an article about cronic leaks.

And here's another link to an article at Carver's. Good article. See what they say about foam filling. You'll be surprised.

Now, I really hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Good luck in your decision. Let us know what you decide.

/ Foam filled vs Slime need feedback #8  
Mike,
I had "slime" put in all four of my tires before the tractor was delivered. Cost was $154 total for 5 gallons installed. No puctures so far! I've actually had to use gloves to pull out some of the thorns and cactus from the tires! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Foam filled vs Slime need feedback #9  
I vote with the slime. Unless you're on construction sites/junk yards etc I think the drawbacks to foam outweight the attributes. For normal farm type work the slime is cheaper, doesn't too much weight, is removable, and works great. I did my lawn tractor, two wheel barrows, and all 4 wheels of my tractor for about $100. (Gemplers sells it by the auart, gal or 5 gal pail and they make different types. The military grade is rated for I think up to a 3/8 inch hole and is good for over road use too, course the cost is more too and since I didn't think I had to worry about sniper fire on my tractor I didn't get the military grade). Haven't had a leak since I did it, not even over the winter on the lawn tractor when it just sat there.

/ Foam filled vs Slime need feedback #10  
The most commonly available foam for tractor tires is Arnco Superflex. They claim it makes tires wear longer and that the tires are retreadable. As to air pressure, you put in exact air pressure you want after the foam goes in. When the foam cures, the tire stays at that pressure forever. Good, because you never have to worry about the tire losing air pressure. Bad, if for some reason you want to change air pressure.

In sum, the difference would seem to be that foam is better at flat proofing, adds a lot more weight, and is a lot more costly.