3-Point Hitch Folded Lift Linkaged Scraped Backhoe Subframe

/ Folded Lift Linkaged Scraped Backhoe Subframe #1  

Nacademus

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720
Hi there,

-I'm sure this had been beaten to death many many times but I want to vent.

I have a 2018 Massey Ferguson GC1720. If I had paid closer attention before purchasing it to the way that the linkages need to carefully fold away when not in use and how the hydraulic hoses need to be run somehow to not get kinked or split when the backhoe is installed or 3pt arms are moving, I might have considered other makes.

I am always worried about how my lift arms move down while I adjust the MMM height while mowing since I cannot move one without the other. Sometimes I don't have anywhere to store the backhoe so I need to mow with my 1720 fully kitted.

There are 3 hydraulic hoses that have about 2ft or so in length that hang off the back of the tractor.

When the backhoe is not in use, one hose needs to be connected to another to complete a circuit, and another capped-then they just sort of hang there, which we can't have.

THEN, you have to find what to do with them. I cannot loop them around the top mount and tuck them under the fenders or anything since that would be too tight of a loop. I have to sling a bungee cord to my ROPS or somewhere and wrap them, suspending the hoses in such a way that they are clear of the 3pt moving parts. Even so, I am incredibly worried that I will damage them accidentally through normal use of my tractor.

Growing up, the few tractors I had been around had couplers mounted on the rear and the implements generally provided the line to them. I just assumed this was normal.

**** Anyone have any ideas or examples on how others have addressed this? ****

The owner's manual nor service manual doesn't show or suggest a safe routing for them or way to stow them. If you get a GC1720, you simply get a book for the tractor, one for the loader, and another for the backhoe-neglecting mention of what to do with any lines while not in use.

Even with the backhoe on, they either hang below the tractor when looped (I avoid this because something might snag it) or, I need to S curve them somehow to remain higher off the ground and secure up top with a bungee below the foot deck of the backhoe. The backhoe left and right position ram occupies the same space and worries me it could snag in there, too.

Ugh.

I thought maybe I would purchase a piper or round stock to look through my lower link arm eyelets at the ends to help keep them from flopping around, but that wouldn't stop the adjustable and static lift linkage from the 3PT arms from moving and doing damage.

Also, my lift arms are scratching the ever-living **** out of my backhoe subframe. When they go up and down while moving, the jostling causes the adjustment pegs to scrape the inner surface of the subframe. I will probably need to get some color match paint to assure these gouges won't rust.

/ Folded Lift Linkaged Scraped Backhoe Subframe
I am curious if I could mount my own bracket and put QCs on it to make it so no hoses need to remain hanging from the rear of the tractor. The rear circuit that needs plugged into the other to complete the loop could be addressed with a shorter, custom line with 2 male ends that I could store onboard in a toolbox. I think is how it should have been designed.

/ Folded Lift Linkaged Scraped Backhoe Subframe #3  
Wow, I love challenges like this. I prob will be of no help but any chance of photos?

Wow, I love challenges like this. I prob will be of no help but any chance of photos?

Sure! I'll try and take some tonight if I get the time and the weather cooperates.

/ Folded Lift Linkaged Scraped Backhoe Subframe #5  
At least you have rear hydraulics... My 1715 does not and I cant find out how the hydraulics for backhoe (power beyond) are plumbed....

Dale

At least you have rear hydraulics... My 1715 does not and I cant find out how the hydraulics for backhoe (power beyond) are plumbed....

Dale

I could take some pictures of where my plumbing runs for you, if you want. I just skimmed the AGCO parts book site and its really not helpful. I also have the service manual in print-I could look at that and see if it can shed some light on it.

hyd.jpg

I'm going to guess it has to do with the plugs shown on the control valve. I will confirm if there is another manifold of some kind or what. I think there is also a plug shown on the transmission that is used on mine.

/ Folded Lift Linkaged Scraped Backhoe Subframe #8  
I had that issue and decided to fix the problem by redoing the connections at the rear. Works out exactly perfect, no loose hoses at all. If you had the backhoe physically mounted but don’t need to hook it up, you could literally reach back from the seat and turn the ball valve. With my setup, I use the handle as a “key” to prevent accidentally bumping into it and it’s stored on the key rack in the shop.

IMG_4637.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4641.JPG

/ Folded Lift Linkaged Scraped Backhoe Subframe #9  
Don't feel bad. This is one of the first questions I brought to the forum when I bought my GC1720 new in 2016. I suspend my looped hose from the rear of seat bracket (next to the pin for the reversed seat). I believe they used flex lines for the backhoe supply for ease in shipping. Hard lines would have been better. I do not have any idea why they made the tractor-side supply lines so long with the excess slack. It would have made much more sense to have the long hoses on the removable/backhoe side, but I'm no 'designer'.

I currently have a leak in the long (5-ft) pressure supply line because it sagged/scraped/abraided and the hose protection isn't as long as the hose. And in order to repair/shorten/replace that line, it has to be removed which takes the tractor out of service.

FYI - When I received my tractor, I was provided the install/conversion instructions that come with the tractor-side hose set for the CB65 (just a couple stapled sheets of paper). Check to see if you too have them - it better explains the conversion steps and routing, but not the logic.

/ Folded Lift Linkaged Scraped Backhoe Subframe #10  
View attachment 620933

I'm going to guess it has to do with the plugs shown on the control valve. I will confirm if there is another manifold of some kind or what. I think there is also a plug shown on the transmission that is used on mine.

It was my guess to....... But sure would like documentation to prove it.....I don't have a issue of tearing into tractor to add the "power beyond" IF I HAVE GOOD INFORMATION....

Really like idea of bring it out back and having "ball valve diverted assembly" in stead of a loop hose ....

Dale