Food Plot Photos

/ Food Plot Photos
I started like that. Use the rippers to tear the ground up. You may want to Round Up to kill weeds, and then plant a mix from Wildlife Buffet or Wingmaster from Pennington. They work great with a little fertilizer. Good luck!

kwolfe said:
I glad this post started. I have 2 acres, 1 acre is yard and the other acre is field grass that gets mowed a few times a year. I would like to plant something for wildlife to munch on in the spring. I only have a subsoiler and box blade. My idea was to use the rippers on the BB to create the seed bed.

Are there any suggestions of something that is easy to plant?

Last edited:
   / Food Plot Photos #12  
I planted wheat, oats and peas last year. The peas had sprouted and were growing like crazy. Only thing is, neither of us knew what Oats or Wheat looks like, so we will just have to wait until they get bigger.

Having pulled 1" poly pipe down to the plot, I'll be able to grow something during the hot Summer too. Get it ready for dove and quail season. I just need to get some rain birds (sprinklers) that will work off a battery operated timer.
That will be cool.

/ Food Plot Photos #13  
Coyote. I'm certainly not an expert but I have planted deer plants for about 10 years. You will save some $ if you buy seeds individually rather than as a marketed deer blend. What they're putting in there is not rocket science and may not even grow in your area.

Just my .02,

Good luck, MP

/ Food Plot Photos #14  
kossetx said:
Coyote. I'm certainly not an expert but I have planted deer plants for about 10 years. You will save some $ if you buy seeds individually rather than as a marketed deer blend. What they're putting in there is not rocket science and may not even grow in your area.

Just my .02,

Good luck, MP

I agree Kossetx. Those seed companies, Biologic, Pennington etc. do a great job of marketing, but IMHO it's the same stuff you buy at the co-op or local feed store for about 1/3 the price.

/ Food Plot Photos #15  
TNhobbyfarmer said:
I agree Kossetx. Those seed companies, Biologic, Pennington etc. do a great job of marketing, but IMHO it's the same stuff you buy at the co-op or local feed store for about 1/3 the price.

Shhhh!!

It's supposed to be a secret!

Actually, even at the feed mill you have to be on your toes. I was buying medium red clover and they initially quoted me something like $3.95 a pound! I said, that's nuts, I need a 50# sack. Oh, a 50# sack is $89.

Buck oats at the hunting store is like 8-9 bucks for a 40 pound sack and 4 bucks for a 2 bu sack that weighs 75# or so.

Rob,

Oats and wheat look like a long stem grass while growing. Around here, they most often look like small short round stems as the deer nip them down pretty hard. I planted 2 1/2 acres of wheat/oats/red clover and only got clover. The stinking deer just murdered the wheat and oats.

You may want to plant some drought tolerant species like little blue stem, big blue stem switchgrass, indian grass, chicory, lespedezia, and some of the sweet clovers (white and yellow blossom). It's so much easier to plant the correct species than it is to water... Look for a perennial or biennial species that is deep rooted. The deeper the better. Blue stem has 8-10' deep roots.

On the margins plant some wild flowers / prairie flowers in spaces that get morning shade and other spaces that get afternoon shade. (I just like to have flowers near food plots.) You can also plant spices around your stand locations.

If you want to water, plant some fruit trees, grape vines and berry bushes. You may need to put them in cages for the first couple years to ensure that they don't get eaten.

I would also recommend putting out 5' round 4' high chicken wire cages in the food plots. Then you can compare what is being grown but protected VS what is making it. Often people buy the stuff that the critters DON'T like because it's all they see left after the critters have eaten the stuff they do like.

jb

/ Food Plot Photos #17  
Here is a plot I created last year in PA, sowed with "BL" Green Patch Plus and clover. Hit with about 1 ton of lime and a few bags of 10-10 -10. Came out pretty good in the fall.

Used 5 disc ruff up the soil and chain drag to cover the seads.

Attachments

• Lower plot 1.jpg
    Lower plot 1.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 764
   / Food Plot Photos #18  
plant some wild flowers / prairie flowers

I tried that. The deer ate most of them rather quickly.

For our area I have found Buckwheat planted in the spring keeps many deer happy. Winter rye planted in the late summer fills in for fall and early spring feed. The deer graze it down to nubbins.