For the Linux User's!!

/ For the Linux User's!! #21  
Re: For the Linux User\'s!!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 2. Cost
Linux, in the business world, is NOT free. Never has been, never will be.
It costs money to switch to a new OS, no matter what it is. Then it costs money to support it. The cost to convert is a one time expense and if the on going costs for Linux on the desktop are low enough, you can get a decent ROI. However, see Reason 1. We, and most other companies, can not completely convert resulting in having to maintain 2 infrastructures; one to support Windows on the desktop and one to support Linux. Bad business decision.
)</font>

Good post.

I have seen companies purposely adopt multiple infrastructures to mitigate security risks. And I have seen this policy work with impressive and devestating results. The end result, the business continued to function, while competitors did not.

"one egg, one basket"

Just a thought.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ For the Linux User's!! #22  

<font color="blue"> I have seen companies purposely adopt multiple infrastructures to mitigate security risks. </font>
You can't adopt multiple desktop infrastructures if one of them doesn't meet your business needs. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW, if I wasn't clear, my entire post referred to Linux on the desktop. We already run Linux (Red Hat) on Intel servers. AIX, Solaris and HPUX are going the way of the dodo bird. We are also evaluating running Linux on our mainframes.

/ For the Linux User's!! #23  

Look, I love Unix based stuff. I learned on it 25 years ago. I was sad to see it go and be replaced by Windows based stuff. However, there is more technical support for our Windows based stuff and the staff does not have to go through as much technical training. In a crisis, we can call Microsoft and for a flat fee get an instant expert that will stay on the line with us until the problem is resolved, no matter how long it takes. You can't get that level of support for free with Linux. In a business situation, you need that level of support if a mission critical catastrophe strikes. You can't take the time to start reading discussion group forums and teaching yourself how to do something or relying on one geek that has taught himself Linux in his basement. If the geek gets mad and hangs up, you're out of luck because no one can figure out what the geek did to your systems.

I would really like to see a viable alternative to the Microsoft monopoly for the average home user. I will make a New Years resolution to download a new flavor of Linux and try it again at home sometime this year, be objective, and give it a chance. I will also lick a 9V battery. Then I will report back and see which one leaves the worse taste in my mouth. Hopefully, it will be the battery. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ For the Linux User's!! #24  

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MossRoad,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can't get that level of support for free with Linux.)</font> You're right. You can't get it for free, but many organizations offer paid, 24/7/365 support for Linux, these days. I certainly respect the genuine business need for support that you can depend on in a crisis situation. This level of support is available for Linux. And, for the non-critical times, reading those discussion groups, reading manual pages, actually learning how the system works will better prepare your staff for those times of crisis (of course, this is true whether your talking Windows or Linux).

Linux, for the most part, is a no-brainer on the backend, server side (web serving, file serving, print serving, routing, etc.). And, IMHO, the desktop has reached the point where it's ready for Joe User. The most difficult issue for most new users to desktop Linux is unlearning Windows. A new computer user that has never used any operating system will, in my opinion, learn to be productive with Gnome or KDE much quicker than with Windows. As stated, this is just my opinion, and I don't have any empirical results to support this opinion.

I try to taste those 9V batteries from time to time just to feel that twitch in my nose. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BR

/ For the Linux User's!! #25  

I haven't tried Linux, but I have friends that use it and like it. SeaMonkey is what I have been using for a while and really like it.