For those avid readers here

/ For those avid readers here #21  
i read that many times when younger, and while at an old book store last year found a copy, the same type I had as a kid.. obviously not the SAME exact one I had.. but a copy of the same on.. really brought back memories..

soundguy

/ For those avid readers here
I just remembered an excellent non-fiction book I have recently read and passed along:

"The World Is Flat"....A brief history of the Twenty-First Century, by Thomas Friedman. The best part was the chapter about United Parcel Service...I had always thought the only business they were involved in was parcel delivery...what an eye opener!!! Now I know why they can afford to pay their drivers $30 an hour !!!

/ For those avid readers here #23  
Love robinson crusoe, also the swiss family robinson....it is so different then the disney movie. Its actually a great book about what it would take to survive and how they survived.
I forgot to mention the Wizard of Oz, and I Love a lot of harry harrisons books, the stainless steel rat is a good one also.
I like journey to the center of the earth, and ae van vogt's the beast.

Seems like there was more than one Stainless Steel Rat book. I have a few of H. Harrisons books. Unfortunately they are boxed up and in the barn.

One of the attractions I like at Walt Disney World is the Swiss Family Robinson tree. Climbing up the "tree" and seeing the rooms has always amazed me. :D I really wonder how long WDW will keep the tree and Tom Sawyer Island. Both attractions are fairly large and WDW could add a couple of attractions in their place. Both are really cool as far as I am concerned but in today's world of video games, computer simulations, and pocket TVs, I wonder if the younger generations like things that really depended on imagination....

Later,
Dan

/ For those avid readers here #24  

BTW, if you liked "Starship Troopers" (and the movie is worth a watch, BTW), you might like "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman.

I have read Haldeman's book a couple of times. Heinlein's book is much better.

"Starship Troopers" is about political philosophy, life in the military, and Mr Rico fighting bugs from his powered battle suit. :laughing:

I do not think Hollywood would mention Heinlein's political discourse in the book much less accept what he was saying. :D

Life in the military they might cover.

But the biggy in the book, Mr. Rico fighting bugs while in an armored power battle suit, is not part of the movie. The movie is just about humans shooting bugs. :eek:

The book was far more. :D

Looking at what the infantry is taking into battle, from weapons, optics, armor, water supply, etc, Heinlein's idea is not much of a stretch. Many of the injuries in today's ground combat units are due to the weight of the equipment they are having to carry. If the power supply issue can be solved, Heinlein's powered battle suit would be a reality.

Well, ok, they are really going to have to shrink the man portable nuke missiles. :laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ For those avid readers here #25  
Anybody like Vonnegut? Just read cats cradle again recently. Slaughterhouse 5 was a weird/wild read

/ For those avid readers here #26  
I have read Haldeman's book a couple of times. Heinlein's book is much better.

"Starship Troopers" is about political philosophy, life in the military, and Mr Rico fighting bugs from his powered battle suit. :laughing:

I do not think Hollywood would mention Heinlein's political discourse in the book much less accept what he was saying. :D

Life in the military they might cover.

But the biggy in the book, Mr. Rico fighting bugs while in an armored power battle suit, is not part of the movie. The movie is just about humans shooting bugs. :eek:

The book was far more. :D

Looking at what the infantry is taking into battle, from weapons, optics, armor, water supply, etc, Heinlein's idea is not much of a stretch. Many of the injuries in today's ground combat units are due to the weight of the equipment they are having to carry. If the power supply issue can be solved, Heinlein's powered battle suit would be a reality.

Well, ok, they are really going to have to shrink the man portable nuke missiles. :laughing:

Later,
Dan

Most good novels do lose something when made into a movie...few exceptions (I never read the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, so I don't know if they were true to the books.
One of the very few I've seen that met the intent of the novel was a PBS version of "Lathe of Heaven"...but that was a 6 or 8 hour miniseries.

"Starship Troopers" was a good action flick and pretended to be nothing else. It would be difficult to get Heinlein's philosophy on screen...not in a 2 hour flick! The powersuits...well, budgets are budgets...but they did make it into "Starship Troopers III" which is utterly forgettable in almost all respects.

/ For those avid readers here #27  
I take pleasure in reading anything. This includes books, novels, magazines, newspapers;etc. I even enjoy reading catalogs. The time that I personally commit to reading fluctuates and varies widely. It largely depends on one important and critical issue. And that being--How much time I spend in the Restroom.:) Seriously speaking though, I enjoy reading most any written material. My wife will testify to the fact that I even read while I am eating or watching TV. I sincerely hope that everyone has a good evening.:)

Curious the thoughts on E-readers? My wife and I both like our Kindle's.

E-readers....:laughing: although I am always upgrading my numerous computers I have never had any interest at all in those gadgets. Don't laugh, but in the ten years before I retired, I was within walking distance of a public library that sold used books, and I was within a ten minute drive of a several thrift stores where I could go in and buy four books for 99 cents and sometimes get them free. By the time I retired I had probably collected enough to fill up the interior of a standard full size cargo van. Have always loved to read, probably go through 150 or more a year. Goodwill down the road sells books everyday for 4/99 cents, I just gotta be careful I don't buy the same ones I donated there lol. I pass the really good ones along to friends and family, and donate the rest. The local senior center gets a lot of them.

E-readers....what happens if you don't like a title you have paid for? How do you share a good one with others? I have rarely purchased a new book unless it was a title I didn't expect to find elsewhere, the last one I paid full price for was "Windows Vista for Dummies" and even then it was at a reduced price from Ebay.

I take pleasure in reading anything. This includes books, novels, magazines, newspapers;etc. I even enjoy reading catalogs. The time that I personally commit to reading fluctuates and varies widely. It largely depends on one important and critical issue. And that being--How much time I spend in the Restroom.:) Seriously speaking though, I enjoy reading most any written material. My wife will testify to the fact that I even read while I am eating or watching TV. I sincerely hope that everyone has a good evening.:)

Creekbend, I too love to read, at one time I was subscribing to about TWENTY MAGAZINES at once....mainly car mags, home improvement (Car and Driver, Family Handyman, etc) but in the last ten years editorial content has been cut to a half or a third of what it was, while advertising has doubled. Paying a buck to six bucks for a magazine that is half ads...BULL ROAR, with that much advertising they should be paying people to read it!! At one time I subscribed to Trailer Life, an RV publication. I had paid for five years in advance after being a subscriber for the first ten, well, they begin shrinking the magazine, going from about 160 pages to 90 in two years, and the advertising content TRIPLED, and instead of articles they also began filling entire pages with pretty pictures. The last issue I got had TWENTY EIGHT pages of real content, the other 62 were ads or scenic pictures. What a ripoff.