Ford 1210 with 3 point that won't go down...

/ Ford 1210 with 3 point that won't go down... #1  

sandman2234

Tractor
JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota
I purchased a Ford 1210 from another member of TBN, who was gifted it from a good neighbor. I bought it sight un-seen, and paid what I figured was a fair price, all things considered.
THIS IS NOT A RANT ABOUT THE PREVIOUS OWNER!
I expected issues, and one that I am not prepared for, is the lift arms are sticking in the up position. I would think (and I may be wrong!) that gravity has a lot to do with the lowering of the 3 point links. If this is true, and I add weight to the lift arms, am I going to tear up anything? I am hoping not to have to tear into that section of the tractor if I can help it.
Has anyone ever had issues with the 3 points sticking in the fully up position?
This tractor sat for several years, and when I purchased it, I had the fuel system rebuilt before bringing it home. It now cranks and runs on it's own power after I tweaked the wiring a little bit.
Thoughts on what I should do about the 3 point lift not lowering?
What would you do?
David from jax

/ Ford 1210 with 3 point that won't go down... #2  
Try to find the knob or small lever that adjusts the speed that the 3 pt lowers. When fully closed, it will "lock" the 3 pt in position.

Typically located under the seat in between your legs.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1210 with 3 point that won't go down...
Try to find the knob or small lever that adjusts the speed that the 3 pt lowers. When fully closed, it will "lock" the 3 pt in position.

Typically located under the seat in between your legs.
I did loosen that a little bit, about a turn or so, but made no difference.
Thanks for the suggestion. I may look at it more closely.
David from jax

/ Ford 1210 with 3 point that won't go down... #4  
I did loosen that a little bit, about a turn or so, but made no difference.
Thanks for the suggestion. I may look at it more closely.
David from jax
Turn it all the to one side and see if it changes. Then turn all the way to the other side and see if it changes anything.

You can certainly put some weight on the 3 pt. It won't hurt it.

/ Ford 1210 with 3 point that won't go down... #5  
I concur that closing 3-point rate of drop knob all the way will not allow trapped oil to go back to diffy fro, the spool valve. Close and open the knob all the way open and closed, while tractor is on and banging on lift piston head with rubber or wooden mallet might free any crud buildup. I would also try to stand on 3 point draw bar or something as it might help it to unfreeze.

Last night I used the weight of the grapple on my M7040 as a weight on the 3 point of the Ford 1210. It didn't move it, and I cranked the 1210 up and twisted the flow knob both directions. Due to small size of the lift arms, I was having issues keeping the grapple in place, so I wrapped a chain around them and stuck a piece of pipe into the chain and set the grapple on the pipe. It put a good amount of weight on the lift arms, and I went and played with the controls some more. The first time I raised the controls, I got a little bit of movement, but it went up and locked back into place with no more downward motion. Maybe this is a start! I left the weight on the 3 point and went to work. We will see if sitting all week has any effect on it.
Thanks,
David from jax

/ Ford 1210 with 3 point that won't go down... #7  
Maybe who you got it from or neighbor who owned it has the answer.

/ Ford 1210 with 3 point that won't go down... #8  
Last night I used the weight of the grapple on my M7040 as a weight on the 3 point of the Ford 1210. It didn't move it, and I cranked the 1210 up and twisted the flow knob both directions. Due to small size of the lift arms, I was having issues keeping the grapple in place, so I wrapped a chain around them and stuck a piece of pipe into the chain and set the grapple on the pipe. It put a good amount of weight on the lift arms, and I went and played with the controls some more. The first time I raised the controls, I got a little bit of movement, but it went up and locked back into place with no more downward motion. Maybe this is a start! I left the weight on the 3 point and went to work. We will see if sitting all week has any effect on it.
Thanks,
David from jax
Dave,

there is a spring and ball that acts as a check valve for the 3 point. Look the pics below. Take the plug out and inspect. while open , get a bucket under it ( a helper would be good), run the tractor, move the 3 point lever up and down. I am hoping it has a kidney stone , lol or something there that it could pass. Make sure to put it back in the same order. Put the plug back and try. The issue might be return path at the spool. spool valve is the last thing you want to dork with. Let us know.

DSC04167.JPG

DSC04169.JPG

Last edited:
Dave,

there is a spring and ball that acts as a check valve for the 3 point. L0ook the pics below. Take the plug out and inspect. while open , get a bucket under it ( a helper would be good), run the tractor, move the 3 point lever up and down. I am hoping it has a kidney stone , lol or something there that it could pass. Make sure to put it back in the same order. Put the plug back and try. The issue might be return path at the spool. spool valve is the last thing you want to dork with. Let us know.

View attachment 801768
View attachment 801769
I will look at this next time I get home, and thanks!
David from jax

I removed the check balls and springs, and fired the tractor up. I operated the lift handle and it spewed oil into a bucket I had waiting. Then I went to get the parts to put them back together, and the smaller spring was missing. Luckily I hadn't stepped on it! No change to lift arms with this change. Someone had been in there before, because they weren't tight.
I wonder if the relief/diverter valve has been messed with, and it possible that it has any affect on the lift arms?
David from jax