Ford 1700 just quit while brush hogging

/ Ford 1700 just quit while brush hogging #1  

jpilk99

Gold Member
Tractor
1983 Ford 1700, 4WD, 770 Loader, Woods backhoe, Woods brush hog,etc.
Was out doing my normal brush hogging, all going fine/normal, when I went over a section of raise up dirt that bogged down the machine. I assumed it was just a small mound and after restarting without PTO engaged that I'd drive forward to smooth ground and continue --- but machine is 100% caput. No electricals, no lights, no start, no nothing. Battery is strong. Checked all 4 fuses = good. Is there some failsafe that kicks in to keep machine from doing something bad to itself that I"m not aware of?

Thanks for any help.

Jay

/ Ford 1700 just quit while brush hogging #2  
Neutral safety switch?

/ Ford 1700 just quit while brush hogging
I have the machine in neutral

/ Ford 1700 just quit while brush hogging #4  
If you have no electrics, start there. Battery cables or main wiring/fusible link. That sort of thing. Not safety switches.

If you have no electrics, start there. Battery cables or main wiring/fusible link. That sort of thing. Not safety switches.
Don't disagree. Battery cables on battery are snug. Just weird how I was going along just fine, got bogged down on a little dirt, she quit - and then dead machine. Time to investigate more deeply.......

/ Ford 1700 just quit while brush hogging #6  
Battery cables need to more than just tight to function. That's not the only criteria. Unless you hit something you're not aware of at the time, it's probably unrelated. Just a glitch somewhere that was going to happen sooner or later anyway.

/ Ford 1700 just quit while brush hogging #7  
Was out doing my normal brush hogging, all going fine/normal, when I went over a section of raise up dirt that bogged down the machine. I assumed it was just a small mound and after restarting without PTO engaged that I'd drive forward to smooth ground and continue --- but machine is 100% caput. No electricals, no lights, no start, no nothing. Battery is strong. Checked all 4 fuses = good. Is there some failsafe that kicks in to keep machine from doing something bad to itself that I"m not aware of?

Thanks for any help.

Jay
There is nothing on a 1700 that will do that. No electrics if checked everything else would lead me to check the ground on the frame and make sure the battery clamps and posts are clean.

/ Ford 1700 just quit while brush hogging #8  
Make sure Clutch Neutral switch is working. It is a normally open switch, when clutch is pressed it will close to complete the circuit. 1700 does not have any seat safety or other safety switches. Some cable most likely got snagged..need to check that. Does the needle on heat move when you put the switch is on position? two lights, one for Alt and one for oil pressure, do they illuminate when you put the key in on position? that operation has nothing to do with Neutral switch and if so then there must be a break in the line someplace that you need to narrow it down. Also check to see if you get juice at the switch. It is very easy to remove the fuel tank to have easy access to all the wires behind the dash and cowling.

Make sure Clutch Neutral switch is working. It is a normally open switch, when clutch is pressed it will close to complete the circuit. 1700 does not have any seat safety or other safety switches. Some cable most likely got snagged..need to check that. Does the needle on heat move when you put the switch is on position? two lights, one for Alt and one for oil pressure, do they illuminate when you put the key in on position? that operation has nothing to do with Neutral switch and if so then there must be a break in the line someplace that you need to narrow it down. Also check to see if you get juice at the switch. It is very easy to remove the fuel tank to have easy access to all the wires behind the dash and cowling.
Nothing comes on when the key is turned to ON position; neither of the two red lights, guages, nothing...

/ Ford 1700 just quit while brush hogging #10  
Nothing comes on when the key is turned to ON position; neither of the two red lights, guages, nothing...
It must be electrical , you had some ground interference with the bottom of tractor and chasis. Follow the main power line from the left side of the tractor as it enters the back of the dash. Do check the ground, alternately you can take a jumper cable and go from battery negative to some good ground to see if you get juice behind dash. if you don't with additional ground then you need to follow power or positive line. Your switch must have 12 volt at all times. I don't know if there is a main fusible link or fuse for 1700 as I never seen it. I think something got yanked out of place when you engaged the ground somehow.