Ford 1700 PTO

/ Ford 1700 PTO #11  
I checked my ref books, and didn't see a dual clutch listed.. but.. then again.. just because it is in print don't mean much.. I catch errors in tractor specs in books all the time.

anyone verify the clutch setup?

soundguy

/ Ford 1700 PTO #12  
Soundguy, I think you are right. I looked in my service manual and the dual clutch was an option on the 1900 not on the 1700. I thought the 1700 and 1900 were identical just different HP but I see I was wrong.(first time that ever happened)

/ Ford 1700 PTO #13  
guyw said:
If what you are looking for is to not stop a connected implement instantly, you could try getting an over running coupler for the PTO for less than $50.

Guy.

I don't know why we need to add extra over running clutch!!. Ford 1700 does come with an internal one way clutch. One can put the gear in neutral and then clutch and engage the pto lever, when you let go off the clutch pto shaft spins without tractor moving. I can do that with my 1700 that was bought recently. I'm going to my place tomorrow and will check it again so I would not make a liar out of me.

Please look at the schematic below, No:46 is the one way clutch.

/ Ford 1700 PTO #14  
Just because you can have pto while in neutral does not automatically indicate that you have an internal ORC. MY 1946 ford 2n can be in neutral and have the pto running.. yet.. there is no ORC.. etc.

As we can see from the diagram, however, there is one present.

I believe the ORC comment came from someone who asked if he wanted a live pto just to get around implement back feed.. and thus sugested the ORC.. etc.

I fthere is no pto brake on a system, you can always engage the pto, and spin it by hand, and see if there is an internal orc, if there is ever a question..e tc.

Soundguy

/ Ford 1700 PTO #15  
Hooked_on_HP said:
Soundguy, I think you are right. I looked in my service manual and the dual clutch was an option on the 1900 not on the 1700. I thought the 1700 and 1900 were identical just different HP but I see I was wrong.(first time that ever happened)

It's my understanding and my service manuals that the 13,15,17 were one chassis and the 19,21 were another family.

Andy