Ford 1700 Running Hot??

/ Ford 1700 Running Hot?? #1  

ARAYT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700, Ford 750 TLB, Case 585
I have a 1700 that is running hot. I can run it for about an hour before it reaches the boiling over point (30 mins or so if I'm bush hogging). I normally use it to move hay which only takes a few minutes, but I need to get if fixed. I had the head reworked a couple years ago after it dropped a valve and realy fowled alot of thing up including cracking the head. Then idiot me thought I had checked the antifreeze last winter but i did not and it pushed a freeze plug out and cracked the thermostat housing. I replaced them but every since then I've had this problem. No water/oil mixing it just seems to loose a little water after running a while and runs hot. Any advise on where to start would be appreciated. I'm just assuming the head is cracked again how can I confirm this?
Thanks Ray
Oh yea I did try adding K&W block sealer but it did not help. The radiator seems Ok, good flow & clean inside & out.

/ Ford 1700 Running Hot?? #2  
What are you calling hot. Is it boiling water out the over flow or is the temp gauge going all the way to the right. You need to check the temp of the engine and radiator with an IR temp gun to see if the gauge is accurate. If you do a search in the New Holland forum you will find a lot of info. This subject has been covered a lot.
Bill

/ Ford 1700 Running Hot??
Yes the temp gauge is indicating hot and it is also boiling over. I've done some research and will do more under NH forum. Short of removing the head and having it checked is there any way I can test it in place? Thanks for the info.
Ray

/ Ford 1700 Running Hot?? #4  
Have you checked the belt to make sure it's snug and not slipping, or checked the t-stat to be sure it is fully opening. The t-stat could have been damaged from freezing. Also make sure the radadior is getting air flow thru, not just that it looks clean.

/ Ford 1700 Running Hot?? #5  
The first thing I would do is to put a pressure tester on the radiator. Start the tractor and see if you are building too much pressure. If you are building pressure before it gets warm you have either cracked the head or blown a head gasket. Do not let it over pressurize. I would guess when it froze it cracked the head again. Another thing you could check is the impeller on the water pump. Freezing could have damaged it.
Bill

/ Ford 1700 Running Hot??
I did check the belt, it is tight. I may have replaced the t-stat after repairing the housing last year after it froze I'll check to make sure. Of corse these days a new one could also be bad. I will do a pressure test, but first I need to get me a tester. Thanks for the advise! I'll let you all know the outcome.
Ray

/ Ford 1700 Running Hot?? #7  
Take the muffler off and let it sit a while after running, maybe even overnight, crank it up and see if water sprays out of the exhaust. It will just be a mist, but any water is bad news. You can also fill the radiator and run it and see if it is getting air blowing out the radiator. The cylinder is just a big ole air pump and if the head gasket is bad just from the cylinder to a water gallery, it will push air. Don't run it too much like this, because the water doesn't lube the cylinder walls very well and it will wear. Hopefully it is just something simple like a bad thermostat, clogged radiator, bad temperature gage, could even be timing. Those are good little tractors and are very trouble free. We have had a few, but one we have had since new in 81, and you can rebuild the water pumps.