Ford 1700 starter parts

/ Ford 1700 starter parts #1  

284 International

Veteran Member
Tractor
International Harvester 284
I'm looking for a replacement solenoid for a starter on my Ford 1700. I think it has a Lucas replacement. Neither Napa nor the only starter rebuilding place around here were able to find a solenoid or any parts whatsoever to rebuild the starter. The original is a Hitachi S12-62, I understand, from reading some threads on here.

Is there another starter that will mount up the same, even if it is of a different brand or shape? Will the solenoid from something else (A Datsun/Toyota car or something?) work? Are there options for a starter other than the extremely expensive versions I see online? What have others done?

Thanks in advance; I really appreciate the assistance.

/ Ford 1700 starter parts #2  
I'd suggest heading back to NAPA and asking them to dig out their Wilson book. This is what the local NAPA came up with for me. It ended up being a special order item, but only came to something like $35 with shipping.

-Neil

Attachments

• Ford 1700 (Large).jpg
    Ford 1700 (Large).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 410
   / Ford 1700 starter parts
Thank you for the response. From reading your posts here I got the impression that was a replacement solenoid for the Hitachi OEM starter. Is that correct? I have an unknown brand that's not Hitachi (the starter shop guy thought it "looks kind of like a Lucas") for which they believed they couldn't source rebuild parts. Do you know if the solenoids match?

I have found several online sources for starters as replacements, but all seem to be exorbitantly priced. A starter from the dealer will cost $1100, and I'll still have to pay to ship it. (I've found other sources significantly less than that, but that's still ridiculous.)

Thanks again for the help.

/ Ford 1700 starter parts #4  
i got a solenoid from the dealer for my 1710 for about $44. a starter (including solenoid) from the same dealer was $210. these are both after market parts. these parts for a 1700 should probably cost about the same.

Randy41, how did you go about finding that part? I got my prices from New Holland's website. That price is much more palatable!

/ Ford 1700 starter parts #6  
i just called the NH dealer. There are also online suppliers. I bought an alternator from tractor parts inc which is online.

/ Ford 1700 starter parts #7  
Messicks.com shows the solenoid (electro-magnet part # 11 below) to be available for $304. That ain't cheap, but it's a whole lot better than $1100.

ELECTROMAGNET
Solenoid, Start Year: 01/01/1979
SBA185816070

Attachments

• Solenoid.jpg
    Solenoid.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 560
Thank you for the link. My problem is the starter isn't the original version, so I need to find something to replace it entirely, or learn how to rebuild a starter motor that a rebuilding facility refused to touch. :(

/ Ford 1700 starter parts #9  
I searched on what you hope is your original starter model number, Hitachi S12-62, and found a new starter with solenoid for $170. Can you just switch to what was supposed to be there in the first place? Or are you not sure of the model number you posted? Whoever made the swap before you switched models, can you switch back?
Jim

I'm fine with replacing it entirely, especially for that price. Where did you find that? That's about half of what I'm seeing. Thanks.