Ford 1700 starting problems

/ Ford 1700 starting problems #11  
Oh OK, thanks for the clarification. Do you recall what you paid for it? Did they have to give you a new key with it or will one key fit them all?
On ebay you can get a ignition shipped to you for $70. It comes with 2 new keys.

/ Ford 1700 starting problems
Here is a link to pictures of the inside of the ignition switch and an explanation of what is does. There are four internal contacts and there can be corrosion on any or all ot them to cause starting problems. The switch is not serviceable. It controls the start aids, pre-heat and voltage to the solinoid which then directs power to the starter. If the switch doesn't activate the solenoid the starter will not turn. Look at the dark corrosion in the contacts pictured. Sometimes they will make contact and sometimes not. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...52-1700-ford-ignition-switch-replacement.html

Thanks for the response. Every time I hit the key, I get the same response which is seeing/hearing it start the crank for a spit second and stop. I see the fan and such move. Do you still think the switch could be the culprit there? Also, I have question on the glow plugs. It's 100+ here right now and so should I need the glow plugs? If so, do you just turn the key to the start position and wait for the light to come one? I never see the glow plug light come on no matter how long I wait. I do see the other light come on the same gauge come on. Can't remember what it represents...12 volt maybe?

randy41 thanks for mentioning the article and rayikeo2 thanks for posting it to this thread!

Last edited:
   / Ford 1700 starting problems #15  
Thanks for the response. Every time I hit the key, I get the same response which is seeing/hearing it start the crank for a spit second and stop. I see the fan and such move. Do you still think the switch could be the culprit there? Also, I have question on the glow plugs. It's 100+ here right now and so should I need the glow plugs? If so, do you just turn the key to the start position and wait for the light to come one? I never see the glow plug light come on no matter how long I wait. I do see the other light come on the same gauge come on. Can't remember what it represents...12 volt maybe?

randy41 thanks for mentioning the article and rayikeo2 thanks for posting it to this thread!
There is no light on a 1700 for the glow plugs. There is a coil under the hole where it says start aid. The coil turns red like a light bulb filiment after you turn the key left and hold it left for about 15 seconds. So no other light. When it is 100 deg you will not need the glow plugs unless the tractor fails to start after 5 seconds of cranking and only if engine is cold.. When tractor is warm from running do not use start aid to restart after turning off and restarting while still warm.

There is no light on a 1700 for the glow plugs. There is a coil under the hole where it says start aid. The coil turns red like a light bulb filiment after you turn the key left and hold it left for about 15 seconds. So no other light. When it is 100 deg you will not need the glow plugs unless the tractor fails to start after 5 seconds of cranking and only if engine is cold.. When tractor is warm from running do not use start aid to restart after turning off and restarting while still warm.

Thanks again for your knowledge/response. I do remember it being a picture of a coil now. I'll try the key to the left and see what happens. With this info. from a previous post "I get the same response which is seeing/hearing it start the crank for a spit second and stop. I see the fan and such move." Do you still think it could be the switch?

/ Ford 1700 starting problems #17  
I had to replace the key switch on mine too. 30 years puts a lot of corousion in the switch.

/ Ford 1700 starting problems #18  
i got mine from weavers for $38 plus shipping. compactractorparts.com. it is a kubota switch but exactly the same as my original. i'm just guessing that the switches are the same for the 1700 & 1710. i see that they have alternators too.

I took Randy's suggestion and ordered the switch and alt from Weavers/compactractorparts.com. They are kind of an "offline" operation and so we'll see how that goes. The salesperson told me there wasn't really any warranty on the new parts I ordered, but that he could list a 60 day on the alt for me. I kind of wonder how they sell the stuff so cheap and I guess b\c there is no warranty liability?

/ Ford 1700 starting problems #20  
Before I bought parts I would isolate the problem. I would disconnect everything from the starter, clean and replace only the battery leads. Check the battery connections and the ground connection. I would then use a jumper/screwdriver to check starter operation. If it doesn't turn over you still have a battery/grounding/starter problem. If the starter works move to the next item.

Russell