ford 1700 won't move and stalls when clutch is released

/ ford 1700 won't move and stalls when clutch is released #1  

shannondurst

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700
Hello, Hello, i have you ever ran across s 1979 ford 1700 will not move and stalls when clutch is released, I was connecting to an
when I tried to take off, the tractor would not move. When I let off the clutch, the engine stalled and died. No repairs have been previously made, just it's been in the teens cold. I removed top plate seen no issues, all gears moved spring and ball all good, I raised up the rear axles and moved tires they were very stiff at first then freed up now they turn, with no noise. I tried to run engine while tractor on jack stands and still same issue, I removed brake pins to free up brakes same issue, I removed the inspection cover to back housing behind the top plate and shaft that goes to ring gear is stiff will not move, so before I go any further do you have any advise?i have you ever ran across s 1979 ford 1700 will not move and stalls when clutch is released, I was connecting to an
when I tried to take off, the tractor would not move. When I let off the clutch, the engine stalled and died. No repairs have been previously made, just it's been in the teens cold. I removed top plate seen no issues, all gears moved spring and ball all good, I raised up the rear axles and moved tires they were very stiff at first then freed up now they turn, with no noise. I tried to run engine while tractor on jack stands and still same issue, I removed brake pins to free up brakes same issue, I removed the inspection cover to back housing behind the top plate and shaft that goes to ring gear is stiff will not move, so before I go any further do you have any advise? Thanks

/ ford 1700 won't move and stalls when clutch is released #2  
If it's 4 wheel drive and engaged, you might need to check the front axle too.

/ ford 1700 won't move and stalls when clutch is released #3  
You have done everything that I would have suggested in you pm. My first thought was that rear wheel break is totally frozen not by temp but actually fused. With the rear jacked up and gear in neutral then how easy is it to rotate the tire? I would also remove the starter and transmission in neutral try to turn the engine using a breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley. I would want to check to see if flywheel moves while turning the engine manually. stuck clutch also might be a reason. Check and let us know to see where we can go from there. Good luck !

/ ford 1700 won't move and stalls when clutch is released #4  
You have done everything that I would have suggested in you pm. My first thought was that rear wheel break is totally frozen not by temp but actually fused. With the rear jacked up and gear in neutral then how easy is it to rotate the tire? I would also remove the starter and transmission in neutral try to turn the engine using a breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley. I would want to check to see if flywheel moves while turning the engine manually. stuck clutch also might be a reason. Check and let us know to see where we can go from there. Good luck !
You lost me on that. If the engine starts and runs, he can put it in gear and the engine stalls when he lets the clutch out, then why would you pull the starter and/or go looking for a possible stuck clutch issue?

/ ford 1700 won't move and stalls when clutch is released #5  
You lost me on that. If the engine starts and runs, he can put it in gear and the engine stalls when he lets the clutch out, then why would you pull the starter and/or go looking for a possible stuck clutch issue?
Harry , you are right. I got up this am and had a pm in my in-box. I responded to it based on what he said there. I was also multi- tasking, did not read his comment here on this post and only copy and pasted my response from what i send him in his pm.

You are right, my bad! " no reason to take the starter out!". I just wanted to separate engine from drive line. Op can take the side rubber hand hole from right side of transmission and check to see if release fork indeed can manipulate the fingers on the pressure plate. I think brake fusing or a chunk of water frozen somewhere in rear drive mechanism might be the issue. Temps are real low in Kansas with low windchill ( -25) can cause issue for sure. My tractor is always barned but I still find sign of condensation in the rear diffy every many years that I change hyd fluid.

Last edited:
   / ford 1700 won't move and stalls when clutch is released #6  
It is possible that it is an ice issue,
my first though is that the tractor is actually locked in two gears at once.
Reading the first post it seems like the OP may have backed up and was connecting to some implement then can't move forward.

/ ford 1700 won't move and stalls when clutch is released #7  
It is possible that it is an ice issue,
my first though is that the tractor is actually locked in two gears at once.
Reading the first post it seems like the OP may have backed up and was connecting to some implement then can't move forward.
I got much the same impression from the original post, but details as sketchy as this aren't much to go on. Maybe we'll find out someday what his problem was.

/ ford 1700 won't move and stalls when clutch is released #8  
If you jack up both rear wheels and spin one, then that would be going through the differential, and not the transmission. It does give some info about brakes though.
Jack up one rear wheel and spin it and that would be connected through the transmission.
On my 1715, I believe the PTO is connected through the clutch. So if the PTO is locked up, it would kill the tractor. Anyway, make sure the PTO is disengaged, and/or not connected to an implement.
I'd probably start moving every lever... :)
PTO on/off
4x4 on/off
Shift the tranny into neutral, and various gears.
Shift the high/low into neutral or a different gear.

Hopefully you can start narrowing down the possible faults.