ford 1700!!!!!

/ ford 1700!!!!! #1  

BLUEBONNET2

Gold Member
Tractor
nortrac 25 xt JD zeroturn 54", briggs mtr.
good morning,
i'm trying to help out a friend. need a crankshaft for a ford 1700, i think these numbers are right---model#700046, engine#34494.....crank broke right in the middle, plenty of oil /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif thanking you in advance...
my friend says this part is no longer made.....might even look at an entire engine.....

thanks again,
bluebonnet2

/ ford 1700!!!!! #2  
   / ford 1700!!!!!
soundguy.....
thanks a million....they had one in stock.....recon $500....what do they do to recon a crank shaft? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifgood price?
as always TBN'rs come thru again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

regards,
gary

/ ford 1700!!!!! #4  
Normally grind the journals and balance the crank. Down side is you'd need thicker shell bearings.
Sometimes the journals are welded up and reground to the original specs.

I'd sure want that crank inspected (magnetic particle..ak Magnafluxed) before assembling it in an engine.

/ ford 1700!!!!! #5  
That appears to be about $100 more than "Valu-bilt" shows in their catalog for other model Ford cranks; However, I would much rather have one for $500 than not have one for $400 /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

/ ford 1700!!!!! #6  
Like the others said.. I guess 500$ is good compaired to not finding one at all.

You'll need your machinist to inspect the crank for workmanship and to determine what the new bearing specs are. Unless you are doing it yourself, in which case you'll need to mic the mains.. etc.

Soundguy

/ ford 1700!!!!! #7  
I had a friend (who passed away) who owned a Ford 1700 tractor (I'm quite sure it was a 1700 and not a 1900, but . . .) Anyhow, he was puttering down the street one day when parts from the crankcase ended up on the pavement. He faced a big money repair, but it turned out that there was a "secret" service bulletin on that engine. Seems oil holes had been drilled oversize. If the engine failed and you were told about the "Extended warranty" you could get a replacement. His total cost turned out to be the cost of new oil and such, but not the big money of a rebuild or replacement. That was years and years ago. You are probably on the right track with the purchase given the long interval since the 1700 was built and the short corportate memories.

Good luck.

Tim Collins
Dollar Bay MI