Oil & Fuel Ford 1710 Fuel Injection Pump Woes

/ Ford 1710 Fuel Injection Pump Woes #11  
Thank you all for your input. Particularly for the kind recital of the pump removal procedure from Randy.

I'll let you all know how much the rebuild ends up costing. Hopefully I won't machineless for to long.

-bear

Bear,

I'm not convinced that you have completely bled the air from you injector lines from your description. The action of cam and the plunger can cause a very low quantity of diesel fuel to pump. Air is quite compressible and liquids are not. The reason high pressure in maintained in the fuel discharge line due to incompressibility of liquid along with the spring rate at the injector.. If you have air in the discharge line you can compress that air back and forth and never cause the adequate pressure to compress stiff spring right at the injectors to open them up. The air acts pretty much like a shock absorber. I hope you have not damaged anything by taking a peek inside. Before I commit $1300, I'd make sure I open the fuel oil discharge pipe to the injectors a bit to allow air to scape while cranking. Once you get steady pulsating stream of fuel I tighten the nuts and see if she fires up.

Jc,

Last edited: